OT: 10,000 Pt XLIII - The Ultimate Raw Deal (or LS's House of the Dead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Yes! Such a good movie!

Yeah it is! Top five for me, dude.

SandyForthrightAlaskajingle-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Lebanezer

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA

Lazy animators?

Not lazy at all.

I was lucky enough in my childhood to be mentored by two Disney artists, Al and Kay Dempster. Al was quite prolific as a background artist (including working on Pooh and The Jungle Book) and was always telling me how rough the trade was during lessons at his home studio.

Traditional animation is extremely time-consuming and expensive. Disney was pumping out animated features in the 50s and 60s and their artists couldn't keep up to meet the strict deadlines. Many times, studio heads and directors made the decision to share animations/animatics/boards between features. The artists were never lazy. It wasn't their call.

When Al pointed out shared scenes from Robin Hood and The Jungle Book to me back in the 90s, my mind was blown. Felt like I was in on a bona-fide secret. Now, it's easy to point them out with all the youtube compilations out there. Seems like these "discoveries" are cyclical events every couple of years.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Yes, do you?

We have this
Bonds' surgeon has history of problems with California

And that is bad at his job.
Ah... so just some click bait article from ESPN.

So, yeah... He was my surgeon for about 6 or 7 years. He performed 5 surgeries on me and I recovered great from all them. One was an experimental procedure to fix my knee. The other doctors I saw prior to him said I would just have to give up skating and I would for sure never be able to run again. Ting got me back on the ice without pain or limitation. No problems that kept me from playing for about 17 years. I can't speak to the prescriptions for friends accusation (was that proven?) but I did see the lady who technically wasn't a doctor (yet) multiple times and it was always in a kind of follow up role then Ting would come in at the end to make sure my recovery was going according to schedule. The lady was in the process of finishing her Physician Assistant qualifications. I know people always want to take down the big fish and for a while he was pretty big in the Bay Area. I sat with Joe Montana (retired) and met Bryan Marchment (day after blowing out his shoulder in a game) in his waiting room. I was just some amateur hockey player yet I never felt like I was treated less than how I imagine any of the pro players were treated and his work on me was perfect. After 2 of the arthroscopies on my knee I was playing again 14 days later. One of my shoulder surgeries was pretty brutal and I've never had another problem with it. So maybe better to have a little insight prior to talking shit about the guy. ;)

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Ah... so just some click bait article from ESPN.

So, yeah... He was my surgeon for about 6 or 7 years. He performed 5 surgeries on me and I recovered great from all them. One was an experimental procedure to fix my knee. The other doctors I saw prior to him said I would just have to give up skating and I would for sure never be able to run again. Ting got me back on the ice without pain or limitation. No problems that kept me from playing for about 17 years. I can't speak to the prescriptions for friends accusation (was that proven?) but I did see the lady who technically wasn't a doctor (yet) multiple times and it was always in a kind of follow up role then Ting would come in at the end to make sure my recovery was going according to schedule. The lady was in the process of finishing her Physician Assistant qualifications. I know people always want to take down the big fish and for a while he was pretty big in the Bay Area. I sat with Joe Montana (retired) and met Bryan Marchment (day after blowing out his shoulder in a game) in his waiting room. I was just some amateur hockey player yet I never felt like I was treated less than how I imagine any of the pro players were treated and his work on me was perfect. After 2 of the arthroscopies on my knee I was playing again 14 days later. One of my shoulder surgeries was pretty brutal and I've never had another problem with it. So maybe better to have a little insight prior to talking shit about the guy. ;)

Ah now I see where you get your positivity from. When a doctor can fix you up like that, it makes you feel like nothing's impossible. Gives you tremendous hope.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
reread my post you clearly misunderstood it.

I never said you can’t come back, I just said unlike bone, muscle and ligaments are much easier to re injure once they’ve torn. They can also be permanently damaged.

I get that you want to be positive about Karlsson for whatever reason, and I know you love DW, but it’s ok to admit so far his signing has been a complete failure, and this injury news is potentially just icing on the cake.

Can't speak for the Doc or anyone else on this one, but it where i rest on the Karlsson signing is something like this:

The signing has been bad, but i still think DW made the right decision in terms of asset management with the knowledge he had at the time. At this point, grousing over the signing is pointless as a fan. I have no influence in the organization, so keeping positive is the only thing i can do. i still want to enjoy watching the team, after all.

And if you really break it down, there is substantial reason to be hopeful:
  • his 3 seasons in SJ were marred by: personal tragedy, injury, limited off season training, having a child on day 1 of the season (not a bad thing personally, but bad for EK the hockey player), another injury, and Covid.
  • He is an elite enough athlete to recover and try and get his game back to an effective level. Maybe not 11.5 worth, but still top pairing level.
  • The skaters are average and the goalie is bad, two things that clearly affect his ability to be effective. There's potential that if those change around him, his game will improve.
  • We've seen flashes of brilliance and deft playmaking this year multiple times, just not enough. Makes me think its a mental thing over a physical limitation
Yes, it sucks things didn't go as planned re: his signing, and this injury is definitely a layer of icing (depends how serious it is). But in my opinion, there is a higher chance he returns to top pairing form than there is that he gets moved, which means we're stuck with him, so i try to be optimistic for my own sanity.

I won't criticize DW for making this signing, but i will certainly be critical of how he manages the situation he is in now

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Ah now I see where you get your positivity from. When a doctor can fix you up like that, it makes you feel like nothing's impossible. Gives you tremendous hope.
Well, that's probably true but this is mostly about whether Ting is good at his job. He is, and I have proof even as anecdotal as it may be. There's also a pretty massive list of athletes that can be verified who he did great work on. The positivity thing as far as the Sharks probably comes from watching them pull off major upsets in their 3rd and 4th years. Probably the 2 biggest NHL upsets of my lifetime especially when you consider who was on those rosters. Everyone loves to call Sutter the best Sharks coach but really it was Constantine. No Sharks coach ever did more with less.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
"click bait"= facts

He has been disciplined twice and suspended for unprofessional conduct and had restraining orders filed against him by another doctor.
Did you read the article? Most of it was just accusations. Kind of a hit piece because he worked on Bonds and Bonds was in trouble with Balco. A hit piece to generate clicks and controversy. Yeah the restraining order thing is interesting... accusations, no proof. Just 2 dudes pissed at each other. You've never wanted to choke a co-worker? :laugh:

As far as being disciplined... he was sanctioned not suspended as far as I remember. Meaning he got a note in his permanent record. :sarcasm: Being disciplined is like getting a speeding ticket I would guess. I also know people were pissed when he went out on his own and got his own facility. None of this has anything to do with the main premise I was arguing against. He's very good at his job which is to diagnose and fix people thru surgery. Pro athletes come from all over the country to see him.

But again, you don't know the guy right? Never met with him? You read a couple articles and that's it...?:skeptic:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
He did a basic scope on Selanne and didn't fix it. He didn't get better until two further surgeries fixed it.

Raffi Torres "just couldn't make it back" after his ACL tear despite being young enough and the injury not considered as serious.

Just those two off the top of my head.

A doctor at his practice testified he brought alcohol into the office and gave it to the patient, who he was treating for alcoholism,

Also, his behavior during the Bonds trial made it pretty clear he perjured himself.

I am glad you recovered from your issue, and no, I've never wanted to choke anyone.
Selanne needing more surgery doesn't mean shit. They always start with something small like n a scope and see if they can get things working with a minimal procedure if they can. I may very well have taken something similar to what I had do to correct his issue. Still doesn't mean Ting did a "bad job".

Who knows what Torres's other issues in the knee were. Very often when you tear your act you also damage the articular cartilage which pretty much ends a pro career. That's what happened to my knee. It's why Yzerman retired. It's basically osteoarthristis brought on by trauma to the knee. Ting performs hundreds of surgeries a year if not more. If he were having a quality problem he wouldn't be nearly as successful as he is and pro teams wouldn't let him operate on their players who drive the success of their teams on the filed and as far as finances. You have no argument here. You bulled this bullshit out of thin air.

The Doc who accused him of bring alcohol is the same dude that Ting supposedly choked. That one guy made all those accusations. None were proven, none were admitted. It was one dude talking shit.

And now you think Ting perjured himself in Bonds perjury trial? :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Selanne needing more surgery doesn't mean shit. They always start with something small like n a scope and see if they can get things working with a minimal procedure if they can. I may very well have taken something similar to what I had do to correct his issue. Still doesn't mean Ting did a "bad job".

Who knows what Torres's other issues in the knee were. Very often when you tear your act you also damage the articular cartilage which pretty much ends a pro career. That's what happened to my knee. It's why Yzerman retired. It's basically osteoarthristis brought on by trauma to the knee. Ting performs hundreds of surgeries a year if not more. If he were having a quality problem he wouldn't be nearly as successful as he is and pro teams wouldn't let him operate on their players who drive the success of their teams on the filed and as far as finances. You have no argument here. You bulled this bullshit out of thin air.

The Doc who accused him of bring alcohol is the same dude that Ting supposedly choked. That one guy made all those accusations. None were proven, none were admitted. It was one dude talking shit.

And now you think Ting perjured himself in Bonds perjury trial? :laugh: So you just hate the guy even though you don't know jack shit about him. That's dumb and you don't know what the f*** you're even talking about.

I think you guys are starting to argue different things, and we should probably nix the argument soon with the generic usual "agree to disagree". You seem to be arguing from the position that he is medically skilled/capable, which is fair and I haven't seen any real evidence to think otherwise. Surgery prognoses can be very variable regardless of the surgeon. Others seem to be arguing that he's overall just a scummy person. Also fair based on the supposed reasoning in the articles. I mean, he was placed on a 5 year probation by the medical board. He wasn't suspended and his license obviously wasn't revoked, but probation means they had some substantial evidence of doing some shady things.

I did see the lady who technically wasn't a doctor (yet) multiple times and it was always in a kind of follow up role then Ting would come in at the end to make sure my recovery was going according to schedule. The lady was in the process of finishing her Physician Assistant qualifications.

FYI, PAs are not medical doctors ever. It is common, albeit unfortunate, practice that licensed PAs do a lot of the post-op clinic follow-ups (midlevel creep is a whole 'nother conversation). However, as long as Ting physically saw you before the end of the encounter, it's still kosher even if she was still in-training. The ESPN article mentioned "a technician" and not a student though so your experience might have been a completely different scenario.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I think you guys are starting to argue different things, and we should probably nix the argument soon with the generic usual "agree to disagree". You seem to be arguing from the position that he is medically skilled/capable, which is fair and I haven't seen any real evidence to think otherwise. Surgery prognoses can be very variable regardless of the surgeon. Others seem to be arguing that he's overall just a scummy person. Also fair based on the supposed reasoning in the articles. I mean, he was placed on a 5 year probation by the medical board. He wasn't suspended and his license obviously wasn't revoked, but probation means they had some substantial evidence of doing some shady things.

FYI, PAs are not medical doctors ever. It is common, albeit unfortunate, practice that licensed PAs do a lot of the post-op clinic follow-ups (midlevel creep is a whole 'nother conversation). However, as long as Ting physically saw you before the end of the encounter, it's still kosher even if she was still in-training. The ESPN article mentioned "a technician" and not a student though so your experience might have been a completely different scenario.
The "technician" was the lady I saw. They named her in an article back when this was a thing so I know this for a fact. The whole probation thing stemmed from her seeing patients prior to finishing her PA stuff. None of the other BS accusations came into play for discipline.

As far as most patients are concerned a PA is basically the same as a Doctor. The big difference is they can't do surgery. They can handle all responsibilities or a primary care physician (under a doctor), they can diagnose, prescribe medicine, order tests etc, etc... Most people wouldn't even know the difference during their "Doctor" visits.

My whole argument was as I said previously... against the uninformed statement that he's bad at his job. Maybe he's bad at conflict resolution, and utilizing his employees properly but as far as interacting with patients and providing proper diagnosis and treatment? He's f***in great. So far no one here can provide a factual argument to the contrary with real proof or experience with him. It's people talking shit based on a couple articles they read.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
As far as most patients are concerned a PA is basically the same as a Doctor. The big difference is they can't do surgery. They can handle all responsibilities or a primary care physician (under a doctor), they can diagnose, prescribe medicine, order tests etc, etc... Most people wouldn't even know the difference during their "Doctor" visits.

Like I said, that's a whole 'nother conversation, but I just wanted to note patients should be made aware that a PA is nowhere close to a doctor. They absolutely do not have the knowledge, expertise, or training to "handle all responsibilities". The new laws where NPs and PAs are fighting for independent practice is a huge disservice and danger to the public. It's also against the law if any of them introduce themselves as "Doctor" in a clinical setting. You as a patient have the right to see an MD/DO during all of your visits, and you should start demanding to do so if you haven't already.

sharkbyte

May 10, 2020
Orange, CA
The "technician" was the lady I saw. They named her in an article back when this was a thing so I know this for a fact. The whole probation thing stemmed from her seeing patients prior to finishing her PA stuff. None of the other BS accusations came into play for discipline.

My whole argument was as I said previously... against the uninformed statement that he's bad at his job. Maybe he's bad at conflict resolution, and utilizing his employees properly but as far as interacting with patients and providing proper diagnosis and treatment? He's f***in great. So far no one here can provide a factual argument to the contrary with real proof or experience with him. It's people talking shit based on a couple articles they read.

This is laughable and an insult to physicians who spend 7+ years in training. I don't want to derail the thread but this isn't even remotely true.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

Yeah, PAs are nowhere near as qualified as MD/DOs despite them certainly having a role in the healthcare system...and that's fully licensed PAs let alone trainees. A PA trainee basically has the qualifications of a senior medical student...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad