OT: 10,000 Pt XLII - The Bouncing Turd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Guys, my dad thinks I'm making up that my therapist was in the hospital. He thinks I'm saying that as an excuse not to go.

How sick of a human am I to make up something like that?
Tell your dad that you will get an excuse letter from the therapist when you see him next. Then tell the therapist that the excuse letter should have a P.S saying that a parental attitude like that is why you need therapy in the first place.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Tell your dad that you will get an excuse letter from the therapist when you see him next. Then tell the therapist that the excuse letter should have a P.S saying that a parental attitude like that is why you need therapy in the first place.

Haha. I think he does need therapy, but you know how people are... they never see problems.

Anyway, should I go to the Yankees game tonight? It's going to be 86 degrees (heat index of 91) at first pitch, and it's a 7pm game... yuck.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
Any guitar experts out there?

I have an Aria Acoustic Concert Guitar that i'm looking to get rid of, but I have no idea what model it is or how much it could be worth or where/how to find the answer to either of those things. Was curious if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Any guitar experts out there?

I have an Aria Acoustic Concert Guitar that i'm looking to get rid of, but I have no idea what model it is or how much it could be worth or where/how to find the answer to either of those things. Was curious if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction

I'd imagine the model number is inside the sound hole. Aria has a few different guitars in that series. They can run from anywhere $100-1500 from what I'm seeing, so it really depends on the model.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
I'd imagine the model number is inside the sound hole. Aria has a few different guitars in that series. They can run from anywhere $100-1500 from what I'm seeing, so it really depends on the model.

Thanks, I probably should've looked there first :D

Looks like it's an Aria AC-8 Concert Guitar. It's in fairly good shape, a couple of small dings but sounds okay to my uneducated ears

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Thanks, I probably should've looked there first :D

Looks like it's an Aria AC-8 Concert Guitar. It's in fairly good shape, a couple of small dings but sounds okay to my uneducated ears

Alright. I saw one on eBay for 90-ish, but with no strings. Another for 160. Seeing a couple on Reverb that sold for 200-ish. Might be able to start at 200-250 and bring it down a hair if no one bites.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
Alright. I saw one on eBay for 90-ish, but with no strings. Another for 160. Seeing a couple on Reverb that sold for 200-ish. Might be able to start at 200-250 and bring it down a hair if no one bites.

Awesome, thanks. I might drop by a nearby music store and see what they'll give me for it before dealing with the general public

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Just picked up a pair of Shure SE215s for daily wireless headphone use (work, gym, etc). I know they are in-ear monitors, but i have been screwed in the past on headphones with their designer's preference built in. I like how i have full control of the sound coming in.

Curious what others are using for headphones. I know there are a lot of pro-audio people here.

My "I want to listen to music" cans are Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro 80s, which are amazing.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Just picked up a pair of Shure SE215s for daily wireless headphone use (work, gym, etc). I know they are in-ear monitors, but i have been screwed in the past on headphones with their designer's preference built in. I like how i have full control of the sound coming in.

Curious what others are using for headphones. I know there are a lot of pro-audio people here.

My "I want to listen to music" cans are Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro 80s, which are amazing.
I am not an audiophile or even a big music listener (anymore). I just use the Bose QC35 headphones. Mainly for the noise cancelling. That being said, I think I use them more for phone calls than anything else, LOL.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California

Beyerdynamic is a great company in general; their cans and mics are fantastic. A buddy of mine recently got the 880s and they're great. Might have to spring for a pair of those, or if I'm feeling especially like spending some money, the 990s.

Currently I'm using a set of Superlux HD661s. Not a well-known brand, but they blow a lot of similarly-priced headphones out of the water. Far better than cheap ATs or Shures. Fairly balanced spectrum, not too much midrange. Plus they have the detachable cable, so I can just replace the cable when the connections inevitably go bad (which they have once already).

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I have a bunch of pretty nice headphones even though I'm not the biggest audiophile but nice things are nice. I got Sennheiser HD600 as my main over ear set. I have Brainwavz B2 for IEMs. A friend convinced me to get the massdrop x hifiman-he4xx. Then I got some Final Audio E3000 for work/out and about IEM cuz they don't sell the Brainwavz anymore and I like them so I don't want to use them too recklessly.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Beyerdynamic is a great company in general; their cans and mics are fantastic. A buddy of mine recently got the 880s and they're great. Might have to spring for a pair of those, or if I'm feeling especially like spending some money, the 990s.

Currently I'm using a set of Superlux HD661s. Not a well-known brand, but they blow a lot of similarly-priced headphones out of the water. Far better than cheap ATs or Shures. Fairly balanced spectrum, not too much midrange. Plus they have the detachable cable, so I can just replace the cable when the connections inevitably go bad (which they have once already).

Since you're an audio engineer (according to your side bar bio lol), do you have cans you use at work and cans you use for personal?

I've had my DT770s for about 4 years now and they still hold up. It looks like the whole range has increased in price though, i got mine for 150.

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
Did anyone ever go to any of the locations of the Flights restaurant/bar owned by former Sharks draft pick Alex Hult? Yes, I did my due diligence and saw that LS posted an article, but I was wondering if anyone actually checked it out and was impressed at all. I just tried out the relatively new Las Vegas location of it. The concept seems cool, and although I didn't discern any issues in beer quality, the food was pretty lackluster.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Did anyone ever go to any of the locations of the Flights restaurant/bar owned by former Sharks draft pick Alex Hult? Yes, I did my due diligence and saw that LS posted an article, but I was wondering if anyone actually checked it out and was impressed at all. I just tried out the relatively new Las Vegas location of it. The concept seems cool, and although I didn't discern any issues in beer quality, the food was pretty lackluster.

Tapas is the worst fad to happen to food.

I hosted Alex and gang once, a few moons ago, and they were...stale.

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
Tapas is the worst fad to happen to food.

Idk, I consume most of my beers in tiny quantities these days, so I enjoy being able to taste a variety of flavors and textures. But I think a lot of places such as Flights don't exemplify the level of quality which would be maintained in the original Spanish tapas cuisine over in Spain.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Idk, I consume most of my beers in tiny quantities these days, so I enjoy being able to taste a variety of flavors and textures. But I think a lot of places such as Flights don't exemplify the level of quality which would be maintained in the original Spanish tapas cuisine over in Spain.

Tapas in Spain aren't a fad.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Since you're an audio engineer (according to your side bar bio lol), do you have cans you use at work and cans you use for personal?

I've had my DT770s for about 4 years now and they still hold up. It looks like the whole range has increased in price though, i got mine for 150.

I use the same cans for work and personal, those Superlux HD661s, plus a pair of Adam T7V (I wish I could afford the A7Xs) monitors for speakers. I also have a pair of Shure SRH240As, but I don't care much for those for anything except just monitoring while I'm recording or something. They're not great for mixing since the midrange is trash and the top end isn't very clear, but the isolation is a little better since they're closed back.

I'm also like relatively poor for an engineer, so there's that too. If I could, I'd get the 990s plus some Genelec monitors and some nice AKGs/Shures for recording monitor cans.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I use the same cans for work and personal, those Superlux HD661s, plus a pair of Adam T7V (I wish I could afford the A7Xs) monitors for speakers. I also have a pair of Shure SRH240As, but I don't care much for those for anything except just monitoring while I'm recording or something. They're not great for mixing since the midrange is trash and the top end isn't very clear, but the isolation is a little better since they're closed back.

I'm also like relatively poor for an engineer, so there's that too. If I could, I'd get the 990s plus some Genelec monitors and some nice AKGs/Shures for recording monitor cans.

I need some monitors, but i live in an apartment complex and cant really bump tunes. I have two Sonos Play Ones that i paired, and those are enough given the circumstances. Everything i have though is at least 4-5 years old. Quality is great, i just wonder if the tech has improved enough over time to warrant considering new hardware.

Theres a pro-audio shop near my house that has top end gear that is so far from my price range i cant even go in and pretend to consider a purchase haha

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I need some monitors, but i live in an apartment complex and cant really bump tunes. I have two Sonos Play Ones that i paired, and those are enough given the circumstances. Everything i have though is at least 4-5 years old. Quality is great, i just wonder if the tech has improved enough over time to warrant considering new hardware.

Theres a pro-audio shop near my house that has top end gear that is so far from my price range i cant even go in and pretend to consider a purchase haha

I actually usually don't mix that loud, which is honestly what you're supposed to do since the human ear naturally compresses mix levels at a certain point. But yea, a lot of Bluetooth speakers and whatnot these days have surprisingly good low end and fullness. It's hard to go wrong if you're just using them for casual listening.

And yea, pro audio gear is quite an investment. If you're not using it for commercial/artistic purposes, I honestly wouldn't bother spending too much money for something new, unless you're really concerned with having good-sounding gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad