#1 Worst Leaf regular last 20 years?

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Yeah after putting up franchise best numbers... Like, are people serious about Reimer or is this a joke? He was literally stopping every puck with his face. Not his fault that the teams advanced stats eventually caught up to him

one hot streak in a shorten season doesn't justify praise for a career of inconsistency and sucking.

Toskala, and Raycroft also had longer stretches of great number/performance before becoming sieves.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Some of the guys on this list are surprising.... yet a guy like Brandon Convery is left off..... There are lot more better choices, especially for Kessel? Why is he on this list....because it's fun to dump on a guy because of what the media reports....?

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
one hot streak in a shorten season doesn't justify praise for a career of inconsistency and sucking.

Toskala, and Raycroft also had longer stretches of great number/performance before becoming sieves.

Toskala and Raycroft have been consistently putting up sub .900 sv%/season. Reimer to his credit has held his own.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario

The only season in Reimer's career (across all leagues) where he put up a sub-.900 sv% was 08/09 with the Marlies. Where he played 3 games.

As for Toskala and Raycroft, Toskala only had two good seasons with San Jose before coming to Toronto. Raycroft had one.

Reimer had two good years sandwiching an alright season followed by these last two seasons. Inconsistent? Maybe. Sucking, though... I dunno about that. Reimer's not great but he's not the worst. I don't think Toskala and Raycroft really deserve that title either. It should easily go to one of the thousands of skaters the Leafs have employed since '95.

It's hard not to say Wallin. Or Clarkson. At least Clarkson was around longer than Wallin, granted not much longer. There's really too many options to choose from.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010

Toskala and Raycroft never had great seasons with the Leafs.

The implication that Reimer is anywhere near the worst goalie the Leafs have had the past 20 years is so farcical it doesn't even merit discussion. And I am someone who thinks he had been overrated by a large portion of the fanbase.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Jeff Finger, Joey Crabb, Frogren, Brett Lebda, Johnny Pohl, Crabb, Exelby, Sjostrom, Joey Crabb, Boyce, Colby stinking Armstrong, Frazer McLaren, Karl 'pee-lash' Pilar, Paul Ranger, Joey Crabb...

It's a long list before you get anywhere near Jason Blake, let alone Kessel. I would argue Clarkson was better than all of the guys I listed above. Some didn't play long, I guess, if that's is part of the criteria. But having Kessel on this list is witless and asinine.

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON
Jeff Finger, Joey Crabb, Frogren, Brett Lebda, Johnny Pohl, Crabb, Exelby, Sjostrom, Joey Crabb, Boyce, Colby stinking Armstrong, Frazer McLaren, Karl 'pee-lash' Pilar, Paul Ranger, Joey Crabb...

It's a long list before you get anywhere near Jason Blake, let alone Kessel. I would argue Clarkson was better than all of the guys I listed above. Some didn't play long, I guess, if that's is part of the criteria. But having Kessel on this list is witless and asinine.

I feel that at least Crabb, Sjostrom, Pilar and Ranger were not nearly as bad for the Leafs (both on the ice and contract wise) as was Clakson. Just my opinion from what I remember though.

LeafsFIO*

Reichel always pissed me off but he also played here before I really considered myself an advanced viewer of the game. It's possible he was an okay player that I just had bad viewings of. I was at game 6 in 2003 vs Philly and that penalty shot slap shot will always stick with me. Is there video of that somewhere?

My vote goes to Andy Wozniewski. I'm all for big guys on your bottom pairing but he could not skate and was horrible positionally. How did he even get on the roster? Did he have a good camp? Good in the AHL the previous year?

Never really liked Corson. Always thought he tried so hard to be like Tucker even though he wasn't as talented, not as tough despite being bigger and not as unpredictable (in a good way in Tucker's case). But he was a warrior in some of those series.

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON
Reichel always pissed me off but he also played here before I really considered myself an advanced viewer of the game. It's possible he was an okay player that I just had bad viewings of. I was at game 6 in 2003 vs Philly and that penalty shot slap shot will always stick with me. Is there video of that somewhere?

Here we go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsqD6AINaDI

Even the commentator was wondering "What was that???" at the very end :)

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Mike Craig

594_brett_marx_01.jpg
:laugh:

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
My vote goes to Andy Wozniewski. I'm all for big guys on your bottom pairing but he could not skate and was horrible positionally. How did he even get on the roster? Did he have a good camp? Good in the AHL the previous year?

good answer as well.

Clarkson is probably the most conspicuously terrible player i can remember watching, at least for how much he played. guys like Hollweg, Orr were at least stapled to the bench most of the game.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
For this thread I give everyone the Finger. Conversation between Fingers agent and Cliff Fletcher . Fletcher What is your client looking for?Agent 4 Years 3.5 million.Fletcher So 4 years at 3.5 million per? Agent Yeah holding back his excitement knowing Fletcher thinks its per year not over 4 yearsFletcher Well ok I guess. Agent I will fax over agreement in about 30 seconds with Jeffs signature on it. :laugh:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Never really liked Corson. Always thought he tried so hard to be like Tucker even though he wasn't as talented, not as tough despite being bigger and not as unpredictable (in a good way in Tucker's case). But he was a warrior in some of those series.

This is a pretty tricky one though, because there's a 10-year gap between when they started in the NHL, and Tucker spent his prime seasons with Toronto, whereas Corson joined us in the twilight of his career.

Corson was a scary player in the early-to-mid-'90s, to judge the 37-year-old Leaf version of him against the 30-year-old Tucker isn't really fair, particularly with the style of game those guys played.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
good answer as well.

Clarkson is probably the most conspicuously terrible player i can remember watching, at least for how much he played. guys like Hollweg, Orr were at least stapled to the bench most of the game.

That is a great point. "Conspicuously terrible" is a great way to explain it.

A lot of the reason Clarkson is getting votes is because he was so under the spotlight when he arrived. Big money signing, local guy, Clark fan growing up, then began his tenure with a pointless suspension. That spotlight quickly turned into an interrogation lamp, and anything he said or did was used against him in a court of public opinion.

I don't think he played well, don't get me wrong. He was healthy scratch worthy for stretches. But I don't think he was 'worst-in-decades' bad like people here remember, either. It's just that it is a recent and vivid memory.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
That is a great point. "Conspicuously terrible" is a great way to explain it.

A lot of the reason Clarkson is getting votes is because he was so under the spotlight when he arrived. Big money signing, local guy, Clark fan growing up, then began his tenure with a pointless suspension. That spotlight quickly turned into an interrogation lamp, and anything he said or did was used against him in a court of public opinion.

I don't think he played well, don't get me wrong. He was healthy scratch worthy for stretches. But I don't think he was 'worst-in-decades' bad like people here remember, either. It's just that it is a recent and vivid memory.

He was that bad, one of the worse skater since Rob Pearson.

Rusty Shackleford

Leafs Nation
Jul 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
Raycroft, easily.

Brutal goaltender, and it hurts even more knowing that we traded a young Tuukka Rask for him.. A guy whose won a Vezina and been a top 3 goaltender in the league for a few years now..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad