Post-Game Talk: 1: Thursday, Oct. 8, 2015, Flyers at Lightning

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
some positives from the game for sure. 2 points would of been better obviously but the guys played well for the most part.
I still believe NHL coaches will make adjustments to the 3 on 3 so we wont necessarily see the insanity we saw last night in the OT.

MadFerIt95*

Mason had some great saves last night, but he was a bit of an adventure when it came to handling the puck, needs to be less of an idiot in that regard. But if we play like that against the Panthers, we should beat them at least once. Honestly 2-0-1 to start the year is a possibility.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
1) the hate on Manning is not justified at all. He had a good game and setup giroux for his penalty shot breakaway. All 6 d men made mistakes but there was not supposed than I've seen in a couple years.

2) 2nd line took a long time to gel and Simmonds looked like he was forcing the play at times.

3) 4th line was not just good, but dominate. When the were on the ice they won the battles and played in the offensive zone for most of their shifts.

4) top line looked good, but Jake came on slow. G should have had a couple points in this one- but defensively he had some great plays.

5) I think we can all confidently say that Berube was the biggest reason for underperforming. We suspected this, but to see what Hakstol did to this team in such a short time speaks volumes to how bad Berube actually was. Hakstol might be amazing, but they actually look like professionals again.

6) I'm so proud of Umberger. He looked good in preseason and looked even better yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if he moves up the lineup this season for injuries. He's so much stronger and faster than last year.

SchennSational1022*

Wow, I was at the game and I thought we played excellent. We looked so much quicker to loose pucks, way more pressure on puck carriers and way more heads up in ways of back checking from the forwards than we did at any point under Berube's tenure. I have no doubts he was what was holding this team back..

I honestly thought Luke Schenn was best Flyer on the ice last night, he looked awesome. Hope he keeps it up.

I'd also change the defense to

Streit Schultz
Medvedev Schenn
MDZ Gudas

Why Manning is in lineup I have no ****ing clue, and having 2 RHD is helpful...

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011
My whole deal with the penalty shots is this. In that situation I am focused on two things:

1 - I absolutely need to get a shot off. So minimize the risk of losing the puck or having the goalie poke check the puck away.

2- As a forward I am playing to my strengths. I am not sure Laughton's strength is his backhand. He made a pretty good move, had that puck been on his forehand instead it would have been an easy lift over Bishop's pads.

I just think they get way too cute and think way too much down the ice. You saw on TB's goal, it was a quick move to the forehand and a direct shot. To me it's all about gaining momentum towards the net and making a direct move. The slow motion trips and the excessive stick handling hardly ends up well.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You really gotta win a one-goal game in which you have two penalty shots, one by your best player. Just more shootout problems that have plagued this team for a decade.

Mike2000z28

Dec 13, 2009
Philly, now montreal
I think collectively as a fan base at least on here we are really looking forward to the next game to see how this team plays after a tough loss. They played better than i thought they would especially a Florida team let alone Tampa! I hope it isn't a let down against the Panthers.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
5) I think we can all confidently say that Berube was the biggest reason for underperforming. We suspected this, but to see what Hakstol did to this team in such a short time speaks volumes to how bad Berube actually was. Hakstol might be amazing, but they actually look like professionals again.
they lost by 1 @ tampa within the first couple of weeks of the season last year

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
It's obvious that all the talk about Read and Umberger being injured last year was true, Read looks like his old self and Umberger like the guy who used to play for the flyers, now the Umberger/Hartnell trade looks a lot more even, they got the better scorer, we got the better defender, dumped two years of salary and picked up a 4th rd pick.

That third line looks worlds better than anything we threw out there last season, and the second line has potential as a physical group that can put the puck in the net.

The fourth line has picked it up where they left off last season, don't overestimate PEB, he's similar to Talbot, he may score a few goals but if you start valuing him as a top 9 wing you're off the mark, his value is as a checker and top PK guy who can give you a few goals, same with his linemates - and that's just fine, given their salaries (and I think Leier will eventually fit on this line).

Manning and MDZ are a dumb pairing, and I expect Hakstol to change that shortly - MDZ is what he is, a very talented player who was dropped on his head as a child and never recovered, he needs a veteran linemate who can cover for him. Manning needs a linemate who can balance his limitations, he's 3rd pair caliber, but he's not the guy you want with MDZ.

Not worried about Medvedev, first real game on NHL ice, give him a few weeks to get comfortable with the NHL game and it will be obvious that he's our most talented defenseman, look for an extension at some point and for him to be paired with Provorov next year.

I see Streit traded and Ghost up by January, paired with Schultz.
L Schenn had his fire light and he looked far better than last year, I could see him as the stay at home guy for MDZ (cleaning up the garbage).

Schultz - Streit (Ghost)
L Schenn - MDZ
Manning (Morin) - Medvedev
Gudas

I think you're wrong about that. He has more offense to show. While he may never light teams up like Ovechkin, I think he can do better than the 6 goals he got last season. I do really like our fourth line now though.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
thought it was a good effort. surprised alot by bschenn and umberger. mason is one of those goalies right now that actually is going to give you a chance too win just about every game. he is solid. also the fourth line makes me happy.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think you're wrong about that. He has more offense to show. While he may never light teams up like Ovechkin, I think he can do better than the 6 goals he got last season. I do really like our fourth line now though.

That still doesn't make him a 3rd line winger.
He has trouble finishing, but he's a great forechecker.
Our standards for the fourth line have fallen so low that we think a guy who scores 10 goals should be on the top three lines.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Happy to see Read get an early goal this season. I expect to see the old Read again, he looked much better.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Schenn is probably the worst skater on the defense, and had a good game. Not making mental mistakes and passing accurately is more important than speed.

I did not think Manning was terrible but Gudas will get in the lineup eventually and it'll be interesting to see how he does. I think ugiswrong is right about Manning having trouble playing the right side.

Difference is Schenn can't skate but he can pass, Gudas can't do either. Again not saying he's not better then Manning just stating why I feel he got the start in TB over Gudas.

Last edited:

ugiswrong

Dec 8, 2005
deutschland
I think this one game is way too small of a sample size to declare Umberger and Read being back into their prior form.

Game one, new coach, top opponent, there's tons of adrenaline. But durability and consistency are what we need out of the third line, and it's too early to say if we've got that with these two. Let's see whether the 20-game mark leaves us with the same opinions.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I think this one game is way too small of a sample size to declare Umberger and Read being back into their prior form.

Game one, new coach, top opponent, there's tons of adrenaline. But durability and consistency are what we need out of the third line, and it's too early to say if we've got that with these two. Let's see whether the 20-game mark leaves us with the same opinions.

The biggest difference is that you can see that they are actually able to skate this season. That was the biggest issue why they were terrible last season. Seeing them skate well is a good sign

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad