Post-Game Talk: 1: Thursday, Oct. 8, 2015, Flyers at Lightning

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Hedman is amazing.

He is not the best Dman in the NHL (yet) but if I were to have a special Flyerx xmas wish that allowed us to have any Dman in the NHL magically placed onto our roster it Hedman would be one of the 3-4 names I would seriously consider... amazing he is only 24 really.
And people were calling him a bust just a couple seasons ago.

He is incredible (and I say that without having watched tonight's game).

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
It was amazing watching the 4th line playing important minutes. Not to mention watching them get the puck into the offensive zone and create legit shooting opportunities. Time to go laugh at my Bruin's fans about Rinaldo!

Oranges

Jan 19, 2013
Ontario
Really happy with the way the Flyers played tonight. Umberger looked great out there. God, its nice to actually have a real coach again.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
From what the little I saw of the game I was actually extremely encouraged. Last year was soooooo dreadful.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Let that be a lesson to our fanbase concerning our D prospects.

Hedman is amazing.

You know what else is amazing? Brayden's first (I think) shift where he beat Hedman along the boards for puck control for quite a while. Last year it was nearly unthinkable to suggest he could do such a thing.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Definitely a step in the right direction and let's not forget that it takes time to implement a new system, re-build confidence in what they are doing out there.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Thing is though this isn't his only game. He's been in the organization a while, he's old enough to where he won't be developing anymore, and we've seen him play plenty in his career. There's no sign that he's an NHL regular on most teams.

What? 25 year old defenseman 20 games into his NHL career is already done developing? I'm not expecting very much more from him, but let's be realistic. He's still got room to grow. If it was a forward it might be different.

Yeah, what stood out to me the most on Tampa was just how damn good Hedman is at every aspect of the game. Also how big Bishop is, crazy how he was able to tip Giroux's stick after being beaten moving in the other direction.

Last edited:

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
What? 25 year old defenseman 20 games into his NHL career is already done developing? I'm not expecting very much more from him, but let's be realistic. He's still got room to grow.

I can't really think of any defenseman that didn't start playing in the NHL consistently till 25 and got noticeably better at or after that age.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Some positives. Mason obviously, Umberger is reborn, Laughton, B.Schenn, Read getting on the board. MDZ and Manning is scary. MDZ 3 on 3 even scarier.

Van Buren Boy

--------------------
Aug 18, 2006
So many are down on this team after one game but so many positives to take away. New coach, new system (takes times) and played vs a team who was in the Stanley Cup finals last year who were 8-0-1 vs the Flyers in their last 9 in TB. I thought the Flyers held the play for good stretches last night. Our secondary scoring was there which was missing last year yet our first line didn't produce and we missed two PS...easily fixable. For **** sake, TB's second goal was scored on the PP because Med was sent off for having two sticks in his hand...when will we ever see that again?

ugiswrong

Dec 8, 2005
deutschland
Manning's left-handedness seemed to be his major problem tonight, as whenever he was advancing in the D-Zone along the wall on his backhand and pressured he had turnovers.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Very enjoyable game to watch save the disappointing end.
Points aside Umbergers quality play was something I didn't expect especially when he chased down I believe it was Drouin.
Mason looks in mid season form.
We'll see what the next few weeks bring but Tampa has a very good team and the Flyers went down and came out with a point. Would have liked to had two but can't be too unhappy about that.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Last year, most game were awful to watch. Even when winning.

Last night was a fun game to watch. We were skating well with a great skating team against us. The Schenn's both played great as did Umberger. Mason was Mason. We got a goal from our #2 PP. Our 20's line looked really good. Couts line had lots of shifts of cycling the puck and keeping control of it and creating chances. Our 4th one was reliable and played well. Giroux's line was the worst line tonight. Jake needs to be aware 3v3.

As for the D, Schenn was good. MVD was up and down. Started bad, got better, but also comes up into the play a bit too much and can get caught. Manning was poor defensively. Streit and Schultz were not noticeable very much for me. But maybe that is a good thing. MDZ was bad. Lots of glaring defensive gaffs.

But even though we lost, it's how we lost. We were skating well, moving the puck quickly, and only got pinned in our end a few times. There were games last year where we could not get it out.

We had our chances to win. When you miss 2 penalty shots, chances are you are going to lose.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The best thing of all with last night's OTL point is that the Flyers are solidly in the playoffs as of now. Second overall in the Metro! Looking good to make the post-season.

But seriously, I agree that the team structure and effort were a huge improvement over last season. It's entertaining hockey and it gives me optimism thinking of how strong-skating prospects will complement this system.

Hextall4GM

Dec 22, 2009
St. John's, NL
Schenn & Couturier looked good. Read & Umberger played pretty well, hope it keeps up.
Medevyev looked out of place but will chaulk that up to nerves.
Mason comes back in last season form.
OT could've went either way, outstanding play by the Lightening player to move the puck with his feet.

Girouxtiful

Jul 17, 2012
So I know the structure is a little whacky in 3v3, but was it intentional when Coots took the D spot and MDZ rushed ahead in OT? It may have just been the way it worked when Coots had the puck, but it seemed too deliberate. I dunno maybe I'm just not used to the way this is going to be played with players cycling everywhere, but I'd love to see Coots lining up with G and Jake in that situation.

Good game. Very encouraging. Jake was a beast, too bad he didn't have numbers to show it. G was getting a ton of attention and never seemed to be able to really get going, but that will come in time. Raffl fit in. Schenn and Med were both really impressive. Umberger stood out above anyone else out there - what a turn-around. If that guy can play like that night in and night out, we have one of the best (or at the very least, most well-balanced) top 9s in the league. Mase was solid.

Bracing for the let down.

It's back!

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Couts and Schenn were good together but we've said that before and for some reason they were split up. If they keep them together and Simmer gets hot that could be really fun to watch.

The 20s line played well too.

Hopefully they build off this, G and Jake will eventually start doing damage and they'll have 3 legit lines.

MVD made some good plays and some bad ones, not bad for his first fast paced NHL game.

Streit made some nice plays and is an overall good defenseman but with Coburn gone he'll be relied on even more at ES and IMO he can't handle that. Just a matter of time before we see his play diminish further.

Schenn was good.

Schultz was solid as well.

MDZ and Manning were just bad. But people calling for Gudas over Manning, do you really think that'll make a difference? IMO Manning got the start cause he can skate and Gudas can't, against TB you need players that can actually move.

Furthermore Gudas is not good, really no other way to put it. Now I'm not saying Manning is but it's sink or swim time for Manning and you can't pull him out as soon as you throw him in.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Schenn was good.

Schultz was solid as well.

MDZ and Manning were just bad. But people calling for Gudas over Manning, do you really think that'll make a difference? IMO Manning got the start cause he can skate and Gudas can't, against TB you need players that can actually move.

Schenn is probably the worst skater on the defense, and had a good game. Not making mental mistakes and passing accurately is more important than speed.

I did not think Manning was terrible but Gudas will get in the lineup eventually and it'll be interesting to see how he does. I think ugiswrong is right about Manning having trouble playing the right side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad