Post-Game Talk: 1: Thursday, Oct. 8, 2015, Flyers at Lightning

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
losing stunk but that was the 1st 3 v 3 and teams need to adjust to positional game in that typer of due or die situation with so much ice. Im not worried about Jake or MDZ and the mistakes they made. Its an adjustment period and i havent been keeping tabs on practices other than lines.

They clearly spent a lot of time on the PK but im not sure if they did 3 v 3. 1 flukey goal on the pk is good

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Thought the team looked pretty good last night. Highlights were the Schenns and Umberger for me. Manning I was not impressed with at all. Not that he was terrible or anything, but he just didn't look like he should be there. Medvedev was surprisingly shaky as well (hopefully that was just nerves). I'd like to see Gudas get in there instead of Manning to see who should really be there (though I'd rather have AMac than either of them).

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I would rather have Medvedev than MDZ with G and Jake 3-3.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Yeah, even though we lost i enjoyed the heck out of that game. We seemed faster then last year and i liked our forecheck.

Laughton, B. Schenn, Umberger and Mason really stood out for me. Good for Umberger and Read to get going early. Hope to see some consistency over the next few games. It's easy to get up for Game 1, im really looking forward to see how they come out Saturday and beyond.

Didn't like that Manning and MDZ pair when it was on the ice. Speaking of whom, nice pass on the Giroux breakaway and had some other nice plays where he moved the puck up the ice pretty well. He was a little to all over the place tonight (Thought the same about MDZ) and made a bad change at one point.

Thought Luke Schenn looked better then when i saw him in preseason

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I would rather have Medvedev than MDZ with G and Jake 3-3.

Based on last night I agree, but MDZ is a guy I can see flying up the left wing in OT and burying a game winner.

These were the OT combos:

Giroux-Voracek
Streit

Couturier-BSchenn (Laughton replaced Coots on a partial line change)
MDZ

Giroux-Voracek
Medvedev

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Couple thoughts.

Offense: I think as a whole they all looked good. Yes the top line didnt score but there were a ton of chances. Once one goes in they all should. I know Raffl had a few chances and didnt make it happen, but overall they looked dangerious and I expect the 3 of them to score goals. Somehow the 3rd line worked... and thats not a bad thing. Hope it continues. Umberger looks alot better. Him playing well will really help the team out.

Defense: Overall the defense struggled which we thought. Manning and MDZ looked really bad. Maybe its because how they are paired but that pairing struggled all game. Medvedev looked nervous to me. This was his first real game over in NA, and people need to remember he has played on bigger ice his whole career. It is ALOT faster over here. He is a smart player though. I fully expect him to get used to it after a few games. He will help that 2nd PP line EXTREMELY well. The guy gets the shot off on the net, seems like any time he has the puck on the PP. Luke Schenn... was probably our top defender tonight. I hope this is the new him and not just a "I can play" attitude which fizzles out. Having a good Luke Schenn will help this defense.

Mason, I thought, was extremely good like usual.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
That 3-on-3 OT was great last night, even with the loss. One of the best rule changes in a very long time for the NHL.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Yeah, even though we lost i enjoyed the heck out of that game. We seemed faster then last year and i liked our forecheck.

Laughton, B. Schenn, Umberger and Mason really stood out for me. Good for Umberger and Read to get going early. Hope to see some consistency over the next few games. It's easy to get up for Game 1, im really looking forward to see how they come out Saturday and beyond.

Didn't like that Manning and MDZ pair when it was on the ice. Speaking of whom, nice pass on the Giroux breakaway and had some other nice plays where he moved the puck up the ice pretty well. He was a little to all over the place tonight (Thought the same about MDZ) and made a bad change at one point.

Thought Luke Schenn looked better then when i saw him in preseason

I think its a balance thing. Would you rather have

Medvedev - Schenn
MDZ - Manning

OR

Schenn - Manning
Medvedev - MDZ

OR

Medvedev - Manning
Schenn - MDZ

OR OR OR

Replace Manning in all those senarios with Gudas or AMAC

Personally, as much as people hate him id go with the AMAC option because he can play with any of them. But with what we currently have the pairs last night were the best option available i think

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Never thought I'd live the day to see Umberger catch Drouin in a foot race... but it happened! Also as much as L. Schenn gets ragged on, he is a big time checker and crease clearer and we need him. I think he will thrive in a structured environment. Played very well last night. And agreed on Simmer, he looked lost out there and clearly wasn't on the same page as his linemates. Mason was just a stone wall, some of those OT saves were ridiculous. So glad we have stability in net, it's been so long. I just hope when the kids come up, our top dogs still got it.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
So he grabbed a stick from Callahan heading to the bench and...didn't drop it?? :laugh: That's great.

I really enjoyed 3-on-3 but we're gonna struggle against some teams' speed. The Bolts probably could be the best in the league at it though, we'll see.

Also really liked our 2nd line, hopefully they stay together.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah, I thought he was going to try and give it to Schenn but he just kept holding it.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
It's like a magic trick. Schenn has his stick camera pans to the right and all of a sudden Medvedev has it. Seems like Callahan was stealing it on the way to the bench and Med took it back.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Also those Mason saves....

I swear if one more time a main boarder says Mason is an iffy goalie...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's obvious that all the talk about Read and Umberger being injured last year was true, Read looks like his old self and Umberger like the guy who used to play for the flyers, now the Umberger/Hartnell trade looks a lot more even, they got the better scorer, we got the better defender, dumped two years of salary and picked up a 4th rd pick.

That third line looks worlds better than anything we threw out there last season, and the second line has potential as a physical group that can put the puck in the net.

The fourth line has picked it up where they left off last season, don't overestimate PEB, he's similar to Talbot, he may score a few goals but if you start valuing him as a top 9 wing you're off the mark, his value is as a checker and top PK guy who can give you a few goals, same with his linemates - and that's just fine, given their salaries (and I think Leier will eventually fit on this line).

Manning and MDZ are a dumb pairing, and I expect Hakstol to change that shortly - MDZ is what he is, a very talented player who was dropped on his head as a child and never recovered, he needs a veteran linemate who can cover for him. Manning needs a linemate who can balance his limitations, he's 3rd pair caliber, but he's not the guy you want with MDZ.

Not worried about Medvedev, first real game on NHL ice, give him a few weeks to get comfortable with the NHL game and it will be obvious that he's our most talented defenseman, look for an extension at some point and for him to be paired with Provorov next year.

I see Streit traded and Ghost up by January, paired with Schultz.
L Schenn had his fire light and he looked far better than last year, I could see him as the stay at home guy for MDZ (cleaning up the garbage).

Schultz - Streit (Ghost)
L Schenn - MDZ
Manning (Morin) - Medvedev
Gudas

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Wow, I thought that shot went straight off the bar. I didn't think he actually got to it.

I see Streit traded and Ghost up by January, paired with Schultz.
L Schenn had his fire light and he looked far better than last year, I could see him as the stay at home guy for MDZ (cleaning up the garbage).

Schultz - Streit (Ghost)
L Schenn - MDZ
Manning (Morin) - Medvedev
Gudas

I agree with most of what you said, but Schultz-Streit is the first pairing. If they call up Ghost they won't throw him to the wolves like that. I think they will trade Streit if they are ready to promote Medvedev to the top pairing and the top PP unit.

Schultz-Medvedev
MDZ-LSchenn
Manning/MacDonald-Ghost
Gudas

Newest sens fan

My uncle owns Nintendo 64
Feb 13, 2014
Connecticut
Umberger looked fantastic, aswell as Luke. Let's not get too excited it was only the first game, I hope they keep it up though.
Hakstol needs to just unleash jake on the 3v3, put him with Mdz/Schultz or couts and let him utilize his speed and not worry about defense.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Umberger looked fantastic, aswell as Luke. Let's not get too excited it was only the first game, I hope they keep it up though.
Hakstol needs to just unleash jake on the 3v3, put him with Mdz/Schultz or couts and let him utilize his speed and not worry about defense.

That's actually a really good idea. Jake is great possession player and fast. Let other sit back and him just go

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Overall pretty happy with last nights game. Definitely think they could/should have won it but the fact that they were even competitive in it is a huge change from last year. The quality of their play and the style of their play were both very encouraging, this is a better team than last year for sure.

However a few players were extremely frustrating to watch.

Manning was trash, as expected

MDZ wasn't good at all

Voracek was pretty awful

Raffl didn't look good

Mason let in a terrible goal, made a really bad decision in the 3v3 when he tried to keep the puck in play, and seemed to struggle with rebound control at times. Can't say he had an overall terrible game though since he saved their ***** a few times too.

As for the penalty shots, it's certainly disappointing they didn't go in but both were good attempts. Giroux had him beat badly but Bishop got a lucky stick tap and Laughton made a nice move but seemed to rush it a bit which screwed him over.

3v3 was chaotic and hopefully they figure out a way to play it wothout gifting the other team 2v1s and breakaways every few seconds.

I was really impressed by a few players.

Schenn was great

Umberger played very well

Laughton looked great

Giroux was good, especially defensively

Read looked like his old self

And lastly I'm really happy with Hakstols system so far. Such a massive improvement over last year.

MadFerIt95*

Another positive, with a loss last night, the Pittsburgh Penguins have been officially eliminated from playoff contention.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Wow, I thought that shot went straight off the bar. I didn't think he actually got to it.

Didn't help that the announcers treated it like it was an ordinary play on replay. I was shocked, when I saw it I was floored yet they were like "Oh, hey. Mason saved it. Whatever."

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They were also doing that thing where they chat about random storylines and even unrelated topics while the game is going on. It drives me crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad