WJC: 1 Player whose Stock has Risen, and 1 Whose Stock has Fallen

Jedi Pengu*

[/B]
you serious? get a clue.

Boy, are you in for a rude awakening!!! Wake up Johnny, its not the 80s-90s anymore!! Watch Doughty for more than a handleful of games and you'll figure it out. Take off the Bruins glasses though, otherwise you'll never be able to see it.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
How so? Please give me detailed examples of what Ray did better than Doughty is doing now.
...and Ray's play remained remarkably high even toward the end of his career but his days in COL were not in his prime.

Sorry bud. You're way off mark. Doughty is a good player, but you're asking for it comparing him with Bourque.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
How so? Please give me detailed examples of what Ray did better than Doughty is doing now.
...and Ray's play remained remarkably high even toward the end of his career but his days in COL were not in his prime.

Dude, Doughty isn't even a top 5 defenseman in the league (he's not even the best in his own division), maybe top 10 at this point in his career.... Even if he is having a good month, he still isn't even in the same stratosphere as Ray Borque, this is ridiculous man, you're fighting a losing argument.
Are you his dad or brother or something, seriously.

trickster

Maple Leaf Lane Forever
Mar 6, 2002
Leaf Nation
Impressed:
Kiril Petrov
Jerry D'Amigo
Phil McRae
Alex Pieterangelo

Did not impress
Jake Allen
Jared Cowen
Patrice Cormier

trickster

Maple Leaf Lane Forever
Mar 6, 2002
Leaf Nation
Dude, Doughty isn't even a top 5 defenseman in the league (he's not even the best in his own division), maybe top 10 at this point in his career.... Even if he is having a good month, he still isn't even in the same stratosphere as Ray Borque, this is ridiculous man, you're fighting a losing argument.

Isn't he on the Canadian Olympic roster?

I don't like the Kings - or the Bruins for that matter - so I am just passing by on this topic, but I can see no reason to get offended by the idea that this generation's Ray Bourque is Drew Doughty... The commentators during the TSN broadcasts of the WJC also made that comparison

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
For guys whose stock has risen, I'm thinking of guys like Stepan, Kristo, D'Amico, Krieder, McMillan, Scandella, Kozun... guys who were not necessarily talked about much before the tournament but who delivered way more than was expected..

For guys whose stock has fallen ... Jared Cowan was really the one big-name guy who I watched this tournament and just didn't "get it".

Poggemon Destiny*

What's the deal with Cowen anyway? He looked like a useless slug out there. Is he still badly injured?

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Sorry bud. You're way off mark. Doughty is a good player, but you're asking for it comparing him with Bourque.

Once again, give me detailed examples of what Ray did better than Doughty is doing now.

Otherwise, it becomes painfully obvious that you either haven't even seen the kid play recently or that you have no idea how Raymond Bourque used to play...or BOTH!

Either way, you're only wasting my time.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Doughty has one of the best hockey sense, vision and ability to use them to process best options for attack or to hold back even at key pressure situations without panicking which allows him to foray deep into enemy territory without being defensively liable. He also has the ability to completely dictate the tempo of the game and take over the game.

Fowler's shown none of that in this year's WJC.

And funny you should mention Ray Bourque 'cos Doughty is currently playing better than Ray during his prime...no joke.

No, you're the joke. Ray Bourque was a 2nd team All-Star at 19 his rookie year in the NHL, Doughty was happy to play in the NHL at 19. Talk to me about Doughty vs Bourque in about 5 years. Then you will have something worthwhile to comapre to, not 40 games.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Isn't he on the Canadian Olympic roster?

I don't like the Kings - or the Bruins for that matter - so I am just passing by on this topic, but I can see no reason to get offended by the idea that this generation's Ray Bourque is Drew Doughty... The commentators during the TSN broadcasts of the WJC also made that comparison

Do remember which TSN commentators they were?

Obviously people who know a little about hockey...:nod:

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Do remember which TSN commentators they were?

Obviously people who know a little about hockey...:nod:

No one isn't saying Doughty isn't a very good NHL dman. However when you start saying a players performance in one month is better than a HOF's production in the prime of his career, well so what? Lets see what Doughty does the next 5 years, David before coming on a board and making statements that don't really have any value.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
No, you're the joke. Ray Bourque was a 2nd team All-Star at 19 his rookie year in the NHL, Doughty was happy to play in the NHL at 19. Talk to me about Doughty vs Bourque in about 5 years. Then you will have something worthwhile to comapre to, not 40 games.

Actually, Ray won Rookie of the Year and a First Team All-Star selection in his 19th year...so what's that got to do with how Doughty's playing now?

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
No one isn't saying Doughty isn't a very good NHL dman. However when you start saying a players performance in one month is better than a HOF's production in the prime of his career, well so what? Lets see what Doughty does the next 5 years, David before coming on a board and making statements that don't really have any value.

We're not talking about who has the greater body of work since Ray has ~20 years to Doughty's 1+ years...

but there is TREMENDOUS value in someone playing better than one of the top defenseman of all time...even if it's for a relatively short time...and that is why I say let's hope that he can continue.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Actually, Ray won Rookie of the Year and a First Team All-Star selection in his 19th year...so what's that got to do with how Doughty's playing now?

I watched Ray Bourque's entire Boston NHL career. He had months of "Doughtyesque" play, even when he was 18/19 years old. As opposed to Doughty's mighty December of 2009, when Doughty was 20.

BTW I spoke with Rob Ramage he said his January 1980 was as good as Ray's prime.

Craig Hartsburg told me his March 1980 was as good as Ray's prime

Keith Brown said his Noivember 1980 was as goods as Ray's prime.

Well so what?

I haven't gone back to your comment, but were you the person who said Doughty is a "generational talent"? If you are then you are clearly implying that Doughty with his "December 2009 play, is better than Bourque, don't play games.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I watched Ray Bourque's entire Boston NHL career. He had months of "Doughtyesque" play, even when he was 18/19 years old. As opposed to Doughty's mighty December of 2009, when Doughty was 20.

BTW I spoke with Rob Ramage he said his January 1980 was as good as Ray's prime.

Craig Hartsburg told me his March 1980 was as good as Ray's prime

Keith Brown said his Noivember 1980 was as goods as Ray's prime.

Well so what?

I don't ever recall neither Craig Hartsburg nor Keith Brown playing as well as Ray.

Ramage, maybe...but doubt it. In any case, these sound like self assessments...so what does that prove?

Whereas in Doughty's case it's not...and apparently the TSN panel shares the sentiment.

Once again, give me detailed examples of what Ray did better than Doughty is doing now and we can go from there.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
Ya dump on Kadri but who cares if taylor hall tries to dyke 6 players and play all by himself. Kadri isn't playing amazing in a sense that he isn't dominating the tournament but was is easily on of the better forwards against the USA and he was the only Canadian forward on the ice that was consistently winning the face offs. On the PP he was very dangerous with the one timer but probably should be more aggressive and attack the net. he is used in the 2nd unit PK and Top PP unit (Coaches seem high on him) and scored a beauty of a goal on the shootout. Trust me the biggest reason people are hating on Kadri is because he is a prospect of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I felt ill at times watching that.:shakehead

AvsFan

Dec 24, 2009
UP:

Eberle people think he can jump in and help the Oilers right now

Down:

Filatov was supposed to have a break out year in the NHL and didn't stick. Then had what like one goal when he's a returning offensive star supposed to help Russia and they got put out by the Swiss. Not a great tournie for him.

AvsFan

Dec 24, 2009
And for a quick record Doughty and Borque play/played in totally different eras very hard to compare the two.

That said Doughty is on pace for 59 pts in his second year which is somewhate comparable to the 56 #77 put up in his sophmore season.

Just because a player plays with a style that reminds you of Ray Borque doesn't mean he has to accomplish everything or become the player that Borque was.

To his defence he's already made the Olympic team in Year #2 edging out guys like Phaneuf, Bouwmeester, Green, Jovanovski etc.

Why not just sit back and enjoy the way he plays and if he ends up being as good as Ray good for him.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
Anyone notice Kadri constantly slapping his stick on the ice for the puck, he did it on the tying goal yesterday, if you are open your teammates will find you no need to slap your stick on the ice

Shows he wants the puck instead of watching Hall go for plays that are not there.

It's a 50/50 thing.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
And for a quick record Doughty and Borque play/played in totally different eras very hard to compare the two.

That said Doughty is on pace for 59 pts in his second year which is somewhate comparable to the 56 #77 put up in his sophmore season.
Just because a player plays with a style that reminds you of Ray Borque doesn't mean he has to accomplish everything or become the player that Borque was.

To his defence he's already made the Olympic team in Year #2 edging out guys like Phaneuf, Bouwmeester, Green, Jovanovski etc.

Why not just sit back and enjoy the way he plays and if he ends up being as good as Ray good for him.

Bourque missed on today's schedule 15 games. So Bourques total would be more like 68 points, not 56.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
I don't ever recall neither Craig Hartsburg nor Keith Brown playing as well as Ray.

Ramage, maybe...but doubt it. In any case, these sound like self assessments...so what does that prove?
Whereas in Doughty's case it's not...and apparently the TSN panel shares the sentiment.

Once again, give me detailed examples of what Ray did better than Doughty is doing now and we can go from there.

Yeah, David and of course your description of Doughty's "December surge" isn't either? Please like another poster said, stop digging your hole.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

I'm actually one of those people who think Doughty will be like Bourque but I think you are fighting a losing battle to say his December was as good or better than Bourque in his prime.

I'll be the first to admit I never saw a single Doughty game in December but finding things that differ between Bourque's prime and Doughty's December isn't hard. Where Bourque's prime was is debateable but I'll choose 1990-91.

Ray Bourque

76 GP 21 G 73 A 94 PTS + 33 Norris Trophy

Drew Doughty (December)

14 GP 3 G 4 A 7 PTS +2

Player|Goals/GP|Assists/GP|PTS/GP|+/-/GP|
Bourque|0.28|0.96|1.24|0.43|
Doughty|0.21|0.29|0.50|0.14|

For poops and giggles, Ian White's December topped Doughty's statistically in all but one category:

Player|Goals/GP|Assists/GP|PTS/GP|+/-/GP|
White|0.19|0.44|0.63|0.31|
Doughty|0.21|0.29|0.50|0.14|

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad