GDT: [#1] Pittsburgh Penguins at Dallas Stars - 7:30 PM CST

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
The post game show last night spent a bit of time on this one, and concluded that Kari needs to play Saturday or Tuesday to keep his head in the game.

Interesting scenario IF you think Kari is fragile over losing the starting gig. If AN wins again on Saturday in CO, the pressure builds to play him at home Tuesday. But, by then, it would really be "Kari's" turn. If he falters from waiting too long, the boo birds will be out.

Almost seems like you have to start Kari on the road, although they do play several road games after EDM at home, and maybe he could wait to debut in game 4, even if AN is 3-0. Road schedule after ED is Lightning, Panthers, Flyers, Pens. Would probably start him at Panthers, not a real high scoring team, or maybe Flyers at latest.

LoneStarHockey

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
It is going to be interesting to see how they handle the goalie situation early on. It's great to want to play the "hot hand" but you also want each guy to get into some game action early in the season to see where they are at. Niemi made the decision difficult for tomorrow night, this could be a very good thing moving forward. I hope both goalies prove that they deserve to be in net and make the decision difficult each night.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Not sure if you saw it live or on TV, or if that makes a difference in perception. I was there, and able to look away from the puck, not what the camera dictates.

I was impressed with the Stars rebound control, puck/crease clearing and the fact that they kept three premier players mostly on the perimeter for most of the night. So, the 37 shots didn't bother me too much.

Sure, they had 4-5 quality chances when the game mattered, and a few more to try to avoid the shut out, but overall I was impressed. Sure, there were stretches when PIT was better, and then some when the Stars were better. PIT is a great offensive team and we did a nice, but not perfect job on them, although a shut out gets pretty darn close to it. Not sure how much more anyone could expect.

I'm sitting at home and not the rink, but my expectation is not that we play like a fringe playoff team. The Penguins are not some juggernaut, they were the 8 seed and their defense was gutted by free agency and they have no pk. If goaltending was equal last night, I don't think we'd have won.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Well, not much I can say about whether or not the Stars "meet your expectations." They sure met mine opening night!

But, hard to tell either way after one game. To me, if its a shutout, finding that grey cloud in a silver lining is a bit much, but we're all different, I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad