GDT: [#1] Pittsburgh Penguins at Dallas Stars - 7:30 PM CST

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I've got a Pittsburgh feed so they aren't paying attention, but has Nuke been seen recently?

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Good debuts all around, but we need to tighten things up on defense.

LoneStarHockey

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
Great way to start the season! Niemi was amazing in net, also very happy from what I saw from Janmark and Hemsky. Very good all around game.

AaronDellForPrez

RF Modulator
Dec 29, 2009
New Zealand, South Island
Friendly sharks fan here (living in New zealand)

You're welcome (for Niemi)

He was one of my favorite Sharks. I have a few Niemi-signed pucks on my wall (well, in storage right now, but usually on my wall)

He can be really good, and he's a workhorse. You will not regret signing him.

I hope when the Stars play the Sharks next, that whoever is Niemi's backup is, plays instead of him.

PS: just because I moved to NZ doesn't mean I'm going to start spelling it "favourite"

LoneStarHockey

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
^^ Niemi definitely made a great first impression in his Stars debut. I was happy when they traded for him, I used to hate facing him when we were apart of the Pacific division and I think he still has a lot of gas left in the tank.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
This better put a fire under Lehtonen's ass. If Niemi can play even a quarter of his games like this, he'll be the starter within a month or two.

I thought it was a tremendous performance from everyone, honestly. Didn't see a ton of negatives besides the PP looking a bit sour up until the Benn goal. Very happy with the game, but not going to get my hopes up too much.

beardedgraf

Nov 4, 2008
Dallas
Great debut for Niemi.

On a side note, what happened to this board? Only four pages for opening night? Everyone leave for DBD?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Good debuts all around, but we need to tighten things up on defense.

Umm, you think PIT ought to have scored fewer than zero goals?

I agree I saw a few things troubling, like repeated failure to clear the zone on a few occasions, a few big rebounds off Niemi (nicely cleaned up by the D) that could be better, but the Pens are a good offensive team. They were clearly better puck handlers than the Stars.

I am sure Lindy will use your post for motivation today in the locker room, though. Coaches, like fans, usually find things wrong, even after a shutout.

I just hope this is a harbinger of getting it done, despite a few mistakes, like last years opener against CHI was a harbinger of playing great but finding a way to lose.......that held on all season long. I hope this type of play hangs on this year.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Umm, you think PIT ought to have scored fewer than zero goals?

I agree I saw a few things troubling, like repeated failure to clear the zone on a few occasions, a few big rebounds off Niemi (nicely cleaned up by the D) that could be better, but the Pens are a good offensive team. They were clearly better puck handlers than the Stars.

I am sure Lindy will use your post for motivation today in the locker room, though. Coaches, like fans, usually find things wrong, even after a shutout.

I just hope this is a harbinger of getting it done, despite a few mistakes, like last years opener against CHI was a harbinger of playing great but finding a way to lose.......that held on all season long. I hope this type of play hangs on this year.

Are you happy with the number of shots and chances we allowed? Do you think Niemi and Kari will play at that level all year? This is just one game, but I've seen a few where the Stars were motivated against big teams but not disciplined enough to win and a few more where the Stars were uninterested and flat against bottom feeders.

Like I said, it's a good start and I am happy to win, but we are flattered by the scoreline. I don't want to be in a position where we need our goalie to steal the game every night anymore.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Not sure if you saw it live or on TV, or if that makes a difference in perception. I was there, and able to look away from the puck, not what the camera dictates.

I was impressed with the Stars rebound control, puck/crease clearing and the fact that they kept three premier players mostly on the perimeter for most of the night. So, the 37 shots didn't bother me too much.

Sure, they had 4-5 quality chances when the game mattered, and a few more to try to avoid the shut out, but overall I was impressed. Sure, there were stretches when PIT was better, and then some when the Stars were better. PIT is a great offensive team and we did a nice, but not perfect job on them, although a shut out gets pretty darn close to it. Not sure how much more anyone could expect.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
We held Crosby without an attempted shot last night. Only other time that's ever happened was 9 years ago in Atlanta.

Something worked, at least.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Great win! I know I'm a little late to the party here and I'm sure this has already been discussed, but I hope that they play Niemi again tomorrow. The time for internal equity and office politics are over. It's time to win. Every game counts, as we were reminded of last year after a rough start. Let Niemi play the hot hand until he falters or needs a rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad