GDT: #1 (Part 2): FLYERS 5 at Golden Knights 2, Thursday, Oct. 4, 2018, 10:00 p.m. ET

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
think you are dwelling on a bad play. watched it this morning. Bad turn over sucks. We won the game and ghost looked really good. It happens to lots of players. Should he have passed the puck yup!! They were changing from PP1 to the second unit. Usually ghost carries through on that. Was he slashed yup. Did PEB get super lucky that his stick knocked it out of the air yup. Again one play in the first game of the season. if it continues to happen then its a problem. Stop dwelling on it
And that’s my point: When Ghost screws up (& he makes this type of mistake often throughout the season; heck he did it twice in the first period of the opener alone, then again in the 3rd on a PP with a 4 goal lead) he gets excuses made for him and I’m told to “stop dwelling on it”; meanwhile, a board whipping boy makes a mistake & you don’t hear the end of it.

I do find humor in being told to “stop dwelling” on a board where every thread turns into a Hakstol, Hagg, AMac, Lehtera bash fest.

Reactions: Icedog2735

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Just thrwoing it out there, but Ghost definitely got hooked/slashed in the bean bag on that turnover..

Thought Vorobyev looked really good, Sanheim is coming along nicely, and Raffl might be my favorite bottom of the lineup guy ever.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Can we talk about how bad Patrick was last night? He's OK when the puck is on his stick...the problem is that it feels like the puck is never on his stick, and the adv numbers indicate that is a problem. It just feels like he's chasing the game, he always seems behind. I would chalk it up as just a rough game but he didnt impress me at all during the Pre-Season either.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
And that’s my point: When Ghost screws up (& he makes this type of mistake often throughout the season; heck he did it twice in the first period of the opener alone, then again in the 3rd on a PP with a 4 goal lead) he gets excuses made for him and I’m told to “stop dwelling on it”; meanwhile, a board whipping boy makes a mistake & you don’t hear the end of it.

I do find humor in being told to “stop dwelling” on a board where every thread turns into a Hakstol, Hagg, AMac, Lehtera bash fest.
Yeah if anything the top players lead by example so bad plays shouldnt happen from them but it's one game and we played well. On to COL now.

Reactions: Adtar02

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Can we talk about how bad Patrick was last night? He's OK when the puck is on his stick...the problem is that it feels like the puck is never on his stick, and the adv numbers indicate that is a problem. It just feels like he's chasing the game, he always seems behind. I would chalk it up as just a rough game but he didnt impress me at all during the Pre-Season either.
Nothing special at all since preseason started.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right

ghost is a net positive player and really good the names you mentioned tend to make winning harder. that being said Hak change up some of how they played and it was a great adjustment, Lehtera looked decent last and hagg played well. Mac still made bonehead plays but looked miles better than preseason. Still think Hagg is getting too much ice time but wasnt a problem last night.

Reactions: hatcher

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Patrick was moving on one specific forecheck in the third. Caught me by surprise. I'm not too worried. I think he might just be a slow starter. He does need to find a way to create space for himself to get his shot off though. Even when he was going good last year this wasn't a big part of his game.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Raffl is great on the 4th line because he doesn't have to carry a line offensively, he can just play his game and control play. And he's back on the PK, which is a definite upgrade. Having the kind of depth where you can have Raffl and Laughton on the 4th line allows you to match up against any team in the NHL, especially if Lehtera continues to play this well. Even on the road, what HC wants his scoring lines killing minutes against a tough forechecking line that can deny them the puck?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
ghost is a net positive player and really good the names you mentioned tend to make winning harder. that being said Hak change up some of how they played and it was a great adjustment, Lehtera looked decent last and hagg played well. Mac still made bonehead plays but looked miles better than preseason. Still think Hagg is getting too much ice time but wasnt a problem last night.
I never argued Ghost wasn’t a “net positive.” I think he’s a heck of a player.
But the mistakes he made last night aren’t something out of the ordinary. He makes those kind of overzealous forced plays too often & it has plagued him throughout his career. The problem is that those type of turnovers immediately spring high danger scoring chances the other way. And this is what I tried telling people last year & why Hakstol doesn’t trust him in the last 5 minutes protecting a close lead. The last thing you want is a quick strike goal against in those situations & that’s always a risk with Ghost. For all the good he does, he tends to overhandle the puck & try to force offensive plays at times when the risk just isn’t worth the chance of reward.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010

Definitely didn't look great but made some nice plays on D.

Reactions: Foggy14 and Tripod

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Patrick was moving on one specific forecheck in the third. Caught me by surprise. I'm not too worried. I think he might just be a slow starter. He does need to find a way to create space for himself to get his shot off though. Even when he was going good last year this wasn't a big part of his game.
I know the play you are talking about because it caught me by surprise also. Once he gets moving he is all right, but his first step in tight areas is really hurting him right now.

Reactions: hatcher

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I remember him sealing off a player to stop a breakaway, poking the puck away from Karlsson as he was entering the zone with speed, making a power move to the net 1 on 2 and just barely getting it tapped away at the last second, making a good play along the boards to Jake for the tertiary assist on the Patrick goal, showing really good closing speed on a neutral zone lose puck where he came so close to pressuring the puck away from a Knight when he wss probably 3 times as far away as the Knight was at the start of the race for the puck, and making good decions on what was basically the only sustained pressure PP2 got. He was at Giroux's spot and hooked to the top of the house, drew 2 PKers, dished to the open point. On that same shift he cycled well prior to that. Matter of fact I think the cause of that play was a nice give and go that he started.

I wouldn't be worried.

Or be worried. Idk it's your life

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I thought he had poor chemistry with JVR, looked much better the last exhibition game when they put Lindblom back with him.
They may need a week or so to get settled since they didn't play together all camp, they are all of 20 and 22.

Prior to preseason I thought the chief benefit of JVR would be giving a finisher to Patrick; JVR would do his floaty get-open thing, Patrick would set him up. Instead, JVR has shown he can push play up ice and set up plays himself, so even if the two do work together it could be more beneficial overall to have them spread out.

Reactions: BernieParent

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I remember him sealing off a player to stop a breakaway, poking the puck away from Karlsson as he was entering the zone with speed, making a power move to the net 1 on 2 and just barely getting it tapped away at the last second, making a good play along the boards to Jake for the tertiary assist on the Patrick goal, showing really good closing speed on a neutral zone lose puck where he came so close to pressuring the puck away from a Knight when he wss probably 3 times as far away as the Knight was at the start of the race for the puck, and making good decions on what was basically the only sustained pressure PP2 got. He was at Giroux's spot and hooked to the top of the house, drew 2 PKers, dished to the open point. On that same shift he cycled well prior to that. Matter of fact I think the cause of that play was a nice give and go that he started.

I wouldn't be worried.

Or be worried. Idk it's your life

I thought he looked like a player in his second year. Whatever. He made good plays, he had some off moments. Such is the way of most 20 year old NHLers.

Reactions: Striiker

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Prior to preseason I thought the chief benefit of JVR would be giving a finisher to Patrick; JVR would do his floaty get-open thing, Patrick would set him up. Instead, JVR has shown he can push play up ice and set up plays himself, so even if the two do work together it could be more beneficial overall to have them spread out.

I definitely prefer the lines that Hakstol ran last night. Hakstol deployed all of his forwards in the way they should be. Perhaps he can bump down Couturier's ice time a bit but whatever. Defense wise I don't have that much of a complaint since I don't think Gudas looked all that good, Sanheim should get more ice time but whatever. Hagg and MacDonald played well enough for me not to really care.

Elliot looked decent enough? I'm still not impressed though since I think he made some of the saves look harder than they needed to be. I thought in general the flyers did a good job of disrupting really good chances.

Philadelphia Flyers - Vegas Golden Knights - October 4th, 2018

The Flyers had some good chances they didn't capitalize on as well.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
As I said during the game, Patrick made many very good defensive plays. He even subbed on for Vorobyev for a defensive zone faceoff. On offense, not so much. But we have seen that line play well in the past offensively so I am not too worried.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
MacDonald was horrendous last night. Total clown show.

He had every reason to ease him in was the worst part. Even if he believes MacDonald is the savior, he was downright atrocious in preseason. He saw it. Even pull-their-punches company men said he looked like he came back 4 weeks early from a 6 week injury timeline.

So, less than 1 week later, MacDonald goes right in as the #3 defenseman in game 1. And he was a disaster in the 1st. Still got his minutes. By sheer luck he was on-ice for 3 goals for, 1 against. It's serves as horrid validation. As has been shown before, there is no zenith of badness for MacDonald (or XYZ reliable player) to get docked usage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad