GDT: #1| New York Islanders @ Carolina Hurricanes | October 4th | 7:00 PM | F/OTW 2-1

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Ever? Come on now.

I’m probably younger than most people here (early 20’s), but in my 12 years of being a fan, this is absolutely the first season where I can truly say I’m not looking forward it and have zero optimism or excitement. I’m fully expecting a poor year with a ton of frustrating play, and starting from game one I’m just going to watch for the development of players like Barzal, Beavillier, Pulock, Pelech, and maybe even Bellows, Ho-Sang, Dal Colle, Toews, Koivula, and any other players in BPort who might get the call. I also hate the contracts we gave to guys like Komarov and Johnston since it essentially locks them into some kind of role for the next few years. I just don’t see a reason for optimism this year or even next year at this point. The team really needs a quick turnaround after this season and I just don’t see it happening.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I’m probably younger than most people here (early 20’s), but in my 12 years of being a fan, this is absolutely the first season where I can truly say I’m not looking forward it and have zero optimism or excitement. I’m fully expecting a poor year with a ton of frustrating play, and starting from game one I’m just going to watch for the development of players like Barzal, Beavillier, Pulock, Pelech, and maybe even Bellows, Ho-Sang, Dal Colle, Toews, Koivula, and any other players in BPort who might get the call. I also hate the contracts we gave to guys like Komarov and Johnston since it essentially locks them into some kind of role for the next few years. I just don’t see a reason for optimism this year or even next year at this point. The team really needs a quick turnaround after this season and I just don’t see it happening.

Like i mentioned in an earlier post...

Check out this roster: New York Islanders 2007-08 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

burana800

Dec 5, 2010
Finland
This is probably my first time posting in months. I feel like I am going to watch tonight because that is what I am supposed to do, lol. I dont think I have ever been less excited for a season to start ever. Our roster is disgusting, our "answer" in goal isnt playing because he had a worse camp than our terrible back up goalie did, and somehow we are entering this season with Fritz on the team.

Don't watch. Don't post. Problem solved.

Reactions: Jester9881

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
And what about the 08-09 team? That team finished with 61 points. 61! That's the one that got us Tavares. Mark Streit led that team in points.

BUT, Mitch Fritz was on that 08-09 team, so things are looking up!

Best line I ever heard about Frtiz.

"It looked like a fan won a contest to play with the Islanders"

So embarrassing. He was such a bleeder too. Worst tough guy in the business.

Reactions: 13th Floor

dcv2002

Jun 22, 2006
07-08 was nothing compared to the lean years 96-01. Spano, trading Palffy, 54, 70, 71, 58, 58, 52 points. Ugh, those were awful

Reactions: dood

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Best line I ever heard about Frtiz.

"It looked like a fan won a contest to play with the Islanders"

So embarrassing. He was such a bleeder too. Worst tough guy in the business.
Disagree heavy, he could throw!

Bleeding because of scar tissue... idk man I don't score fights that way you could flick his eye and it would bleed but he would overwhelm guys in a fight I loved it.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Disagree heavy, he could throw!

Bleeding because of scar tissue... idk man I don't score fights that way you could flick his eye and it would bleed but he would overwhelm guys in a fight I loved it.

That's fair. He had his moments.

For some reason this fight always sticks out in my mind. bad bad memories

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
That's fair. He had his moments.

For some reason this fight always sticks out in my mind. bad bad memories

The heavyweights! I think Dawes and Comrie fought for the lightweight belt that night too. I love a good fight haha

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Welcome back sunshine! :D

Even though, its good to be back!

Ever? Come on now.

For me, yes.

New fan?

Did you forget when Guerin - Comrie - Satan was our first line?

Comrie lead the team with 49 points that season...

Been a fan since the late 80s. Not saying at all that this is the worst team we have ever had, just the least excited for a season for me. Its probably the let down of thinking we were turning the corner with the playoffs and second round and all that.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
You guys know that it is rare for a coaching change to happen and not have a winning record, right?

We just had a management overhaul and an actual system in place. Don't be surprised if we win the first 10 games of the season.

I called it.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
You guys know that it is rare for a coaching change to happen and not have a winning record, right?

We just had a management overhaul and an actual system in place. Don't be surprised if we win the first 10 games of the season.

I called it.

Pass some of that jazz cabbage over here.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011

I called it.
Are you just making this up?

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I’m excited for hockey to be back. Unfortunately gonna miss the beginning. I’ll be listening on the radio as I drive home from work.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Can you supply some data on this?

Here's the science if you want:

The Data Science of Firing Your Hockey Coach

'
"Will the Newly Hired Coach Perform Better Than His Predecessor?

This is the most important aspect of my analysis. Will the newly hired coach perform better than his predecessor?
To answer this question, I looked at the difference in win ratio (WR), defined as the number of wins divided by the number of wins plus losses, between the hired coach and the fired coach. For seasons after 2004-2005, I counted the number of losses in overtime as normal losses. For the entire sample of 40 seasons, I found that the difference in win ratio between hired and fired coach is +0.057. The error bars correspond to the 95% C.I. This is a statistically significant result. It demonstrates that, indeed, the newly hired coach ends up with a better win ratio than his predecessor."

Why Every NHL Team Should Fire Its Coach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad