GDT: #1| New York Islanders @ Carolina Hurricanes | October 4th | 7:00 PM | F/OTW 2-1

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Game Preview: Islanders at Hurricanes

The Islanders open the 2018-19 season against the Carolina Hurricanes (7 p.m., MSG+, MSG GO)

cut.jpg

NEW YORK ISLANDERS (0-0-0) AT CAROLINA HURRICANES (0-0-0)
7 P.M. - PNC ARENA, RALEIGH, NC
TV: MSG+, MSG GO
RADIO: RADIO.COM, 88.7FM WRHU, 103.9FM WRCN (LI News)
GAME NOTES

New York Islanders hockey is officially back!
The Islanders drop the puck on the 2018-19 season when they take on the Carolina Hurricanes on Thursday night at PNC Arena (7 p.m., MSG+, MSG GO).
The Isles have a different look on opening night, as new General Manager, Lou Lamoriello and Head Coach Barry Trotz take the team in a new direction. There are plenty of new faces on the ice, including Robin Lehner, Leo Komarov and Valtteri Filppula and this will mark the first season since 2009 without John Tavares.
Trotz, who is coming off a Stanley Cup win with Washington in June, said he's looking forward to a new challenge with a new team at the start of a new season.
cut.jpg

Gearing up for the season opener

• 01:34 • October 3rd, 2018
SEASON PREVIEW: FORWARDS | DEFENSE AND GOALIES

"I probably don't have the nerves that I did in year one, but the anticipation of starting something new tomorrow night, a new season," Trotz said. "I've learned that it doesn't matter where you start, it matters where you finish. But you want to get off to a good start and get some good feeling, especially when you have a whole new core of people."
The Islanders have gone through a crash course of Trotz's systems during training camp, which has focused on tightening up the defensive side of the puck. The Isles went 5-3-0 in eight preseason games and Matt Martin said the Isles feel comfortable with the new structure and are eager to test it out with some real stakes. He said the Isles are also motivated by the doubters surrounding the team.
"We're just excited to go out there and be in an competitive atmosphere and go through the ups and downs together as a team throughout the season," Martin said. "A lot of people have counted us out already. In this dressing room we want to go out and prove people wrong."
They'll get their chance starting Thursday.
ISLANDERS NOTES:

-- Barry Trotz will be behind the bench for his first regular season game as Islanders Head Coach. Eric Hornick has The Skinny on the new coach.
-- Leo Komarov, Valtteri Filppula and Luca Sbisa will all make their Islanders debuts.
-- Trotz did not reveal his starting goalie for Thursday's game. Check back after morning skate for the latest lineup updates.
cut.jpg
BRIDGEPORT, CT - SEPTEMBER 22: New York Islanders Center Mathew Barzal #13 takes the puck into the Rangers zone during the first period of a preseason NHL game between the New York Rangers and the New York Islanders on September 22, 2018, at Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport, CT. (Photo by David Hahn/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images) Icon Sportswire/Getty Images
ISLANDERS PLAYER TO WATCH: MATHEW BARZAL

Islanders fans already know what Mathew Barzal is capable of after an 85-point rookie season. Barzal led the Islanders in points and won the Calder Trophy and will be the focal point of the Islanders offense this season. Barzal is confident heading into the season and is embracing the challenge of being the team's go-to guy. The 21-year-old led the Islanders with eight points (all assists) in preseason while centering a line with Anthony Beauvillier and Josh Bailey.
HURRICANES NOTES:

-- The Hurricanes underwent some major changes in the offseason. Rod Brind'Amour replaced Bill Peters as head coach, longtime Cane Jeff Skinner was traded to Buffalo and Dougie Hamilton was acquired for Noah Hanifin and Elias Lindholm.
-- Carolina also won the NHL Draft Lottery and selected Andrei Svechnikov second overall. Svechnikov will make his NHL debut on Thursday.
-- Former Islander Calvin de Haan will make his Hurricanes debut on Thursday after signing a four-year deal with the club over the summer.
-- Petr Mrazek is slated to start for the Hurricanes after Scott Darling suffered a lower-body injury and is week-to-week. With Darling out for an extended period, Carolina claimed Curtis McElhinney off waivers on Tuesday.
-- Carolina went 5-0-1 in six preseason games - a franchise record.

Probable Starting Goalies:

Thomas Greiss

13-8-2 W-L | 3.82 GAA | 0.892 SV% | 1 SO

Greiss is projected to start the Islanders season opener on Thursday.
Despite signing Robin Lehner this summer, it looks like the Islanders will go with Thomas Griess in the season opener. This would save Lehner for the home opener against the Predators on Saturday. Greiss is coming off of a tough season, playing in just 27 games with a 3.82 GAA, .892 SV% and one shutout. He draws a tough start to the season in Carolina, 2018’s best possession team.

Petr Mrazek

14-13-6 W-L | 3.03 GAA | 0.902 SV% | 4 SO

Mrazek will start Thursday against the Islanders.
Mrazek enjoyed a breakout season during the 2016 season, but has tied for the league’s worst qualified SV% (.901) in 89 games since. With Scott Darling out to start the regular season, Mrazek will get a shot as the Hurricanes’ No.1 right away. He will be playing behind one of the best possession teams in hockey, so he should see less shots than he became accustom to in Detroit.

All Time Series Record:

OVERALL
H O M E
A W A Y
60-72-9
29-37-4
31-35-5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Line combos....

Islanders
LWCRW

ANTHONY BEAUVILLIER

Rating: 74.1#39 LW

MATHEW BARZAL

Rating: 77.9#23 C

JOSH BAILEY

Rating: 72.5#57 RW

ANDERS LEE

Rating: 75.4#27 LW

BROCK NELSON

Rating: 72.8#76 C

JORDAN EBERLE

Rating: 76.2#27 RW

LEO KOMAROV

Rating: 70.0#114 LW

VALTTERI FILPPULA

Rating: 70.9#137 C

TANNER FRITZ

Rating: 70.9#83 RW

MATT MARTIN

Rating: 69.2#128 LW

CASEY CIZIKAS

Rating: 69.1#171 C

CAL CLUTTERBUCK

Rating: 68.7#115 RW
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
DEFENSIVE PAIRINGSDefense

THOMAS HICKEY

Rating: 72.1#63 LD

NICK LEDDY

Rating: 72.2#58 RD

ADAM PELECH

Rating: 70.0#113 LD

RYAN PULOCK

Rating: 67.9#97 RD
LUCA SBISA
Rating: 72.2#59 LD​

JOHNNY BOYCHUK

Rating: 72.9#42 RD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Hurricanes
LWCRW

MICHEAL FERLAND

Rating: 71.4#80 LW

SEBASTIAN AHO

Rating: 77.7#14 C

TEUVO TERAVAINEN

Rating: 75.3#28 RW

WARREN FOEGELE

Rating: 73.7#43 LW

JORDAN STAAL

Rating: 75.5#41 C

JUSTIN WILLIAMS

Rating: 75.4#30 RW

BROCK MCGINN

Rating: 72.8#49 LW

MARTIN NECAS

Rating: 72.5#82 C

VALENTIN ZYKOV

Rating: 73.5#44 RW

JORDAN MARTINOOK

Rating: 69.0#110 LW

LUCAS WALLMARK

Rating: 72.4#89 C

ANDREI SVECHNIKOV
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
DEFENSIVE PAIRINGSDefense

JACCOB SLAVIN

Rating: 76.5#11 LD

DOUGIE HAMILTON

Rating: 78.9#10 RD

TREVOR VAN RIEMSDYK

Rating: 72.9#43 LD

BRETT PESCE

Rating: 74.4#32 RD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TREVOR VAN RIEMSDYK

Rating: 72.9#43 LD

BRETT PESCE

Rating: 74.4#32 RD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
lets see how we do. no delusions , but finally having a real coach its hard not to think that they will at least be a pain in the butt to play against.

lets go Islanders!!!!

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
lets see how we do. no delusions , but finally having a real coach its hard not to think that they will at least be a pain in the butt to play against.

lets go Islanders!!!!

This season screams bad enough to miss the playoffs and just good enough not to get a top pick.

AKA the ultimate destiny of the Islanders...

5th overall in the draft.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I guess this is a good test to see how the defensive structure looks this year considering every Isles/Canes game is like 9 to 8.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Based on stats. New coaches usually means we are going to have a winning season. That's the first part. The second is that I compare what happened with Traitores as being on the same level as Turgeon getting injured from Dale hunter during the playoffs '94 and we thought we were screwed..but low and behold, we did what many thought we couldn't do.

My conclusion...these bunch of misfits will not just be a team but a team [squared] as far as over achieving...leading to a Stanley Cup win..

Hollywood will be all over this, Islanders will make 100's of millions in royalties, buy their own arena, have their own movie and be talked about in the hockey world for centuries to come. Screw Miracle On Ice, we WILL become LEGENDARY!

That's my motivational coach speech before our first game

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I had a dream last night that the Islanders were losing 1-0, Lee scored a Lee-esque goal to make it 1-1, but then I turned away from the TV for a moment, looked back and it was 8-1 Carolina. I then posted a very angry rant about the Islanders and tray-toor on Facebook

Hockey season is officially back for me

Reactions: SteveH124

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Last year I think we got our asses handed to us by CBus, total let down after waiting months for hockey. Hope it's a close one at least, not a 7-3 beatdown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->