Post-Game Talk: #1| New York Islanders @ Buttplugs | May 29th | 8:00 PM | F/L 5-2

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
It was early in the series and Trotz was giving Varly a chance to reclaim the net. Varlamov did have a terrific year and Trotz probably felt he shouldn’t lose his job because he was injured. Now Sorokin is putting together a run that makes it very tough to sit him down.
I think they want Varly to be the#1 but it's impossible to sit Sorokin now.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Isles had already won game 1, and if Varly wasn’t ready to start game 1, then no need to start him for game 2 - start Varly game 3, at home, with a couple extra days rest. Worst case you’re tied in the series 1-1 and that gives Varly the chance to own the net again. Trotz had nothing to lose going with Soro in game 2 and could only gain by waiting and starting Varly game 3
I think Varlamov was healthy and ready for Game 2 so Trotz put him in at the first opportunity. The problem with Varly was the 8 days off he had. When he gets a long layoff and comes in cold it takes him a while to get back into a groove. Trotz took that chance and lost. Now with Sorokin hot and an even longer layoff for Varlamov I don't see him getting back in at all. It's Soroky's net to lose now.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I still think it comes down to the 10 things I mentioned in the other thread. Barzal and that top line ABSOLUTELY must contribute more, you have to get shots on net, you have to stay out of the box and play as close to even on face offs.

I love how our second line has performed in the last two postseasons so far and for the first time IN A VERY LONG TIME you have a formidable third line, especially if Wahlstrom is good to go.

Defensively, Dobson has to play better or I could easily see BT putting Hickey or Coburn in. The second paring has to limit their mistakes as well.

As for goaltending you have to ride with Sorokin in game 1 and continue to ride him until it breaks. If and when Varly takes over will be when that ride does end. I am hoping it continues....

LGI

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I think Varlamov was healthy and ready for Game 2 so Trotz put him in at the first opportunity. The problem with Varly was the 8 days off he had. When he gets a long layoff and comes in cold it takes him a while to get back into a groove. Trotz took that chance and lost. Now with Sorokin hot and an even longer layoff for Varlamov I don't see him getting back in at all. It's Soroky's net to lose now.
With that ultra soft charmin goal Varly let in on like the second shot he clearly saw the whole way... I don’t think he was 100% healthy. And his subsequent Nabokov-esque play there after indicates he was definitely not healthy IMO.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
With that ultra soft charmin goal Varly let in on like the second shot he clearly saw the whole way... I don’t think he was 100% healthy. And his subsequent Nabokov-esque play there after indicates he was definitely not healthy IMO.
It can’t just be because he was rusty and out of synch after a long layoff?

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Yeah, I don't believe that theory - why would anyone let Varlamov play if he was not 101% after the way Sorokin looked in game 1? It doesn't make any sense. If Sorokin had a bad game, then sure, it might have been worth the risk, but he looked solid the whole time - I was even questioning giving the second game to Varlamov at all.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
@mods how about a live thread?
We don't have that ability so if you ever notice it not being live just report the first post and someone who can will fix it for us. I always get an error when trying to set it. :(

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Boston is favored , as they should be, but don't ever count out this Islander team.. Looking forward to this series.. We really need to get off to a fast start and get the Barzal line going.. LGI!!!

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I only consider Varly if Sorokin stinks the bed or if we somehow are up 2-0 heading home then maybe I give Ilya a rest.

If the rookie continues to give up 3 goals or less (his last 7 starts) then I am not pulling him unless we have a 2 game series lead and even then it is just to give him a rest and Semyon some work.

Last EIGHT appearances:

5-1-2 (in one loss he gave up a single goal a minute into the game and then stopped the next 32; an overtime loss and a shootout loss)

1.63 GAA (the OT loss was when he took over for Varly in the third period)

243 for 258 (.942)

THE NET IS HIS....period

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Hey slightly off topic, but any way to find Isles record all time on any given date? Like May 29? I looked on hockey-reference.com but couldn’t find a way to see record by date.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Hey slightly off topic, but any way to find Isles record all time on any given date? Like May 29? I looked on hockey-reference.com but couldn’t find a way to see record by date.
I don't think we ever played later than May 24th until the bubble last summer.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
That Boston D Corp is an underrated group, but not like the d corps of the past.

I wonder what Cassidy does with that top line - pair it against the Nelson line or Barzal?

I think Isles have the edge on D -
I like Varly/Sorokin more than Rask/Halak.

Boston are obvious favorites but I’m sticking with Isles in 7 after a big win in game 6 at the coliseum

MyLoveIsBlue

Feb 20, 2015
voodoo-doll-boston-bruins.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad