Prospect Info: #1: Jack Hughes (C): Fired Up Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Is there any chance that Hughes takes the 1c spot or is it basically Hisciers already?

I think there is no question he could. But I agree with some of the other on the board. Hall will always have the checking line to play against. Why give Hughes the harder match up as a rookie. Let him line up against 2nd lines with Goose and rip them apart. Sure you want serious offensive fire power out there to get a goal toss him on with Hall and Palms for a shift or 2. But game to game Id try and keep him away from Hall to get better match ups for him.

Now if teams start to key on Hughes it will likely let Halls line feast on teams.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
We really don’t need him to do that. Also Nico most likely will remain the better defensive forward.
Depending on how the line combos go, Hughes could definitely end up being our 1C. I'd think he is likely to get the top PP time, moreso than Nico. It could be even ice time, but Hughes could end up with the better quality offensive time/linemates.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Having Hughes and Hall on the same line would be wasting an automatic zone entry. They both need the puck on their stick in transition. You split them up across two lines and I think you double up on one of the hardest things to do in the NHL, which is set up your offensive possession cleanly.

The Hughes/Hall shift could be our version of the Sid/Geno late game maneuver. And probably the most lethal 3-on-3 duo in the league.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I can see Hughes eventually being the 1c but not this year unless he is totally on fire.
No point putting the added stress , tougher opponents , more minutes per game on him (him and most rookies have a hard time adjusting to the 82game grind their first season and tail off somewhat as the season goes on )
Lie said before , I can see him taking an odd shift with Hall if their line isn’t clicking and / or they are down a goal and try stacking one line or double shifting him to get him away from a matchup

josiesque

Oct 15, 2015
I could even see a 3vs3 with Forwards only in Hall, Hughes and Nico. Let Nico do the more defensive part while the other 2 bringing the magic to the offensive zone. :)

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Having Hughes and Hall on the same line would be wasting an automatic zone entry. They both need the puck on their stick in transition. You split them up across two lines and I think you double up on one of the hardest things to do in the NHL, which is set up your offensive possession cleanly.

The Hughes/Hall shift could be our version of the Sid/Geno late game maneuver. And probably the most lethal 3-on-3 duo in the league.

Excellent point about the zone entries

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The Rangers fans at least seem pretty split. The Finns are pretty much all on the hate train though

Most of us recognize how f***ing good Hughes is. The idea that Rangers fans are shitting on Hughes is a pretty bad take by RB (surprising considering RB is one of the last guys I'd guess to issue a take like that).

The Finnish contingent is obnoxious, however. I already hate it.

Reactions: New Jersey

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Most of us recognize how ****ing good Hughes is. The idea that Rangers fans are ****ting on Hughes is a pretty bad take by RB (surprising considering RB is one of the last guys I'd guess to issue a take like that).

well, it's certainly a minority of rangers fans, but there are some specific nyr posters who are absolutely going out of their way...

don't wanna get yelled at by my own board's mods for trolling/calling out posters by name, though.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Most of us recognize how ****ing good Hughes is. The idea that Rangers fans are ****ting on Hughes is a pretty bad take by RB (surprising considering RB is one of the last guys I'd guess to issue a take like that).

The Finnish contingent is obnoxious, however. I already hate it.

They have a really really odd complex or some sort of absurd insecurity when it comes to their country in general.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
They have a really really odd complex or some sort of absurd insecurity when it comes to their country in general.
Nah, just with hockey. But if you've only seen the obnoxious lot, it's natural to think there's some kind of "small country syndrome" around. There used to be but not really any more. At least in my experience.

Boring topic anyway. Back to Jack Hughes, shall we?

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
I thought he played pretty well last night considering it was a clunker of a game. He was buzzing around the ice trying to make things happen, had some nice back checks and did well enough at face-offs. He made some mistakes though but he's going to learn.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
It seems more and more apparent that Hughes needs some structure around him. In certain slop fests like the first couple games of the Worlds, the kids tourney, and the lackluster performance we saw from the entire team last night, he really struggles to find the groove. You can still see his skill shine through, but a lot of time it comes to nothing because it's chaos around him.

But when the game is more structure with consistent lines and play, he dominates.

My prediction is, the first few games we might see some flashy plays that work out, and some crazy pond hockey pick up play that makes us pull our hair out. But once the lines are established and guys start rolling consistently, and the points learn how to actually hold the blue line, he will go on a absolute tear.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It seems more and more apparent that Hughes needs some structure around him. In certain slop fests like the first couple games of the Worlds, the kids tourney, and the lackluster performance we saw from the entire team last night, he really struggles to find the groove. You can still see his skill shine through, but a lot of time it comes to nothing because it's chaos around him.

But when the game is more structure with consistent lines and play, he dominates.

My prediction is, the first few games we might see some flashy plays that work out, and some crazy pond hockey pick up play that makes us pull our hair out. But once the lines are established and guys start rolling consistently, and the points learn how to actually hold the blue line, he will go on a absolute tear.

So the pond hockey wide turns will taper off?

Reactions: trufleshufle13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad