Post-Game Talk: #1 | Devils at FLYERS | Thursday, Oct. 13, 2022 | 7:00 pm ET | Win 5-2

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't know if he's injured for any sizable stretch, but I talk about opportunity cost with Tippett, and him sunk costing top 6/PP1 minutes just makes me eye roll. TK, Atkinson, Allison, Laczynski, Brink (injury came in summer to be fair), and Foerster eventually. Two of those guys are surefire top 9 locks. I'd rather see all of them get shots at that usage during his 2 year contract; maybe they will, by choice or not.

Laczynski got shifted to RW with Frost, and away from the Cro-Magnons, and in a matter of a handful of shifts, you went, "Hmmm." You could even roll Frost-Laczynski-Allison. I want to see what we have in a lost season, and I'm quite certain I know what we have in part.
You're going to see them all, the combinations that work you'll see more of.
Tippett won't cost anyone minutes unless he outplays them.

Brink won't be up until spring, and Foerster will have to show he's ready.
Lycksell is my bet for the first recall from LHV at forward, York of course, on defense.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Finished watching... first of all, ESPN+ is straight garbage. The stream through Sportsnet was unacceptable.

Some player notes:

Farabee got trucked again. Kid has to figure out a way not to get blown up every game.

Hodgson is a train wreck. Torts got it right limiting his minutes, but honestly probably should have just run with 10 forwards. Send him down tomorrow and lose the paperwork that would ever allow him back in the NHL. Woof.

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, Zamula has all the tools. He just needs NHL minutes to learn the speed of the game at this level. Throw away the paperwork that would ever allow him to be sent down and just let him play.

I liked the JVR-Frost-Tanner trio when they had ice together. They scored a nice goal as a group. Sweet feed by 58; nice way to open your NHL points account.

In general, that was one of TK's best games. Positively noticeable on almost every shift. One really bad turnover to Hughes in the 3rd was the only real negative tonight.

First on ice action for Hart, so tough to be critical, but I didn't like either goal and thought he had difficulty picking up long shots. That's a bit concerning.

DeAngelo is a competent powerplay QB, something the Flyers have lacked since they gave Ghost the reins (*cough* Sanheim). I'm not thrilled to see how he and Provy handled elite puck possession players/teams at 5-on-5 for 82 games, though. Hughes was a big enough problem tonight, even though he had a pretty quiet game.

It's easy to see why Allison is always injured. I have a teammate who earned the nickname "Kamikaze" because he just barrels into everything with no concern for his health. That's Allison.

The third period was very Hakshell-like. I don't need that in my life again. Tortleshell?

I'm encouraged about their structure, for the most part, so we'll see where that goes. Take out Hodgson and Deslauriers for Couts and Atkinson and there might be something worth watching. The defense was okay tonight, but Braun is cooked. I'd guess Zamula is the odd man out when Risto comes back, but I'd even try Sanheim-Zamula for a bit if they had the balls to scratch Seeler and bring York up to play with Braun.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Farabee must be rusty after sitting out most of camp, and he's probably still working his way into game shape. That's probably why he's down in the lineup right now, get him into the flow but don't ask too much, too fast.

Hart showed rust as well, both goals were bad, but he also came up big at the end of the game.

Not sure it was a shell, more that NJ kicked up the intensity and took more chances once they were down a couple goals, and the Flyers will take some time to jell, which shows more on defense.

The fact that Deslauriers hardly played even with Tippett MIA for two periods shows two things
1) Torts ain't playing you just cause you have a contract
2) Speed matters - got to be able to skate fast enough to be effective on the forecheck and get back on defense

Next summer, it'll be interesting to see how this impacts their drafting.

This game showed what toughness is for Torts, win those board battles, finish your checks and stand up for teammates, but he's not big on fist city

Too many penalties to start the game, though the Tippett seemed inadvertent, the player went down in front of him and I think he was off-balance and reaching out more to steady himself than shove the player into the boards.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
It was really weird feeling being at the game and being so unenthusiastic for the first goals, for and against. I’ll be damned if I didn’t feel a spark of enjoyment with Tk’s first goal and then on though.
I love TK but he really is a frustrating player to watch. For every good thing he did on the ice, sans goals, he did something equally as bad.
It was pretty damn cool to “see” Michael Buffer say “let’s get ready to rumble” live.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Well, that was certainly a fun game. I was entertained.

Finished watching... first of all, ESPN+ is straight garbage. The stream through Sportsnet was unacceptable.

Glad I'm not the only one. I didn't know if it was on my end or not. The PBP guys were actually decent - more or less neutral and enthusiastic for both teams.

It's really something that Canada no longer has NHL Live and we're stuck with SN Now. Such an inferior product in every way so far. No choice of broadcast, pausing/scrubbing has been spotty through preseason and last night, app and interface not great.

Take out Hodgson and Deslauriers for Couts and Atkinson and there might be something worth watching.

Agreed - though I get the sense Deslauriers is a lineup staple, at least for a while. Didn't see the post-game presser, but didn't Torts praise Deslauriers for, I don't know, some phantom reason?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Well, that was certainly a fun game. I was entertained.

Glad I'm not the only one. I didn't know if it was on my end or not. The PBP guys were actually decent - more or less neutral and enthusiastic for both teams.

It's really something that Canada no longer has NHL Live and we're stuck with SN Now. Such an inferior product in every way so far. No choice of broadcast, pausing/scrubbing has been spotty through preseason and last night, app and interface not great.

Agreed - though I get the sense Deslauriers is a lineup staple, at least for a while. Didn't see the post-game presser, but didn't Torts praise Deslauriers for, I don't know, some phantom reason?
Yes, yes he did.

“We had a dip but then Nick banged a couple of bodies and that revived us a little bit in the second period and grabbed a hold of it. We were losing ourselves a bit but then after Deslauriers, not sure who, thought had a couple good shifts and then scored a couple of goals.”

f*** off, Torts.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Hart bailed them out, despite an iffy one, because that was a tire fire for long stretches. I don't know, it didn't look much different from last season, with some more adrenaline. Can't hate a confident Konecny though.

Hodgson didn't record a single shot attempt for on the ice. Lacyznski, his linemate to start, somehow led the team and was one of only a few players who didn't get caved. Along with Allison, who was subtly good. Maybe we can let him have real linemates? He's more comfortable at wing too. Frost and him played a hybrid of sorts. I want to see that pair more.

Also, if Tony D is getting 24 min/game, leading our team, I like our chances to rack up losses, not that he was bad tonight. That Cates line got murdered. I love Cates, but he's way better at wing, and this idea he's our de facto 2C as a rookie is a bit much. This team isn't talented, but the mix can be better.
I too thought is was like watching them from 2 years ago. They were constantly hemmed yet they were ahead. For the last half of the game they went full "gordon" attempting to flip the puck out. Their forechecking appeared to be one guy. Very confusing. Were they gsed by mid-game? Were they sitting on the lead?

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The magic of Torts. Absolute dog shit roster and look what we did.
Go on a shooting heater and win to start the season?

giphy.webp

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I may be in the minority but I don’t think it all looked like last season. They still have a lot to work on, but I was entertained for stretches last night. Hart gave up a bad one early and the 2nd one was weird but it was a good shot.
It was good to see Hart make the big saves when he needed to.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
The frame rate on the ESPN+ stream was so bad. If the puck moved too fast from one end to the other, I felt like my eyes were going to fall out of my head.
Oddly enough I watched through Hulu and had none of those problems. The stream was sharper than most games on CSN Philly. I was impressed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad