Series Discussion: (1) AD1: Florida Panthers vs (8) WC2: Washington Capitals | Panthers win 4-2

Who wins?

• Caps in 4

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Caps in 5

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Caps in 6

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Caps in 7

Votes: 15 14.4%
  • Panthers in 4

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • Panthers in 5

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • Panthers in 6

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • Panthers in 7

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Ovi scored 50 at age 36 so we got that going for us

Votes: 21 20.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
The issue appears to be that for every crack that Florida has, Washington has the same crack. Only Washington's is twice as big.

Kind of hard to discuss other team's goaltending when we got the mighty double headed turd in goal. Same goes for 3rd D-pair. Playoff Justin Schultz. It's like regular Justin Shcultz but even worse.

It would be greatly appreciated if Ekblad could kindly miss this whole series, please and thank you.
Ekblad playing could actually be good for us. Hasn’t played in 6 weeks so he will not be in skating shape and will take a couple/few games to shake the rust off. And Gudas… we know what a liability he can be.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
We have been one of better teams since March 1 (save for the final exhibition games). When we got hyped up on the west coast swing and big games, we did it well. I like a lot of the comments coming from players in which they all say basically the same thing: Play team defense. They key to Caps postseason success will be playing 5 man rotation both offensively and defensively.

If i am a panthers fan, I’m not thrilled about playing the Caps In first round. Veterans. Playoff experience. Physical. Goal Scorers. Cup Winning Coach. There is a lot to fear.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
I’m in the realist camp here. Florida is the better team on paper for sure. But that’s why they play the games. Lots of things need to go right.. but the caps have a team that is capable of getting hot and making an upset. I would never bet on it.. but I’m here to root for it.

Will need a big series from the middle 6 forwards and a miracle in net.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Watched my local NAHL team go down in OT, 3-2 in the series tonight in a best of five... They were the higher seed. Our goalie was shaky and blew it... Caps going nowhere with bad goaltending in the playoffs. I have almost no confidence we can even steal a game and make it interesting due to Sammy and Vitek.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I won't be upset if the Caps lose the series. I think it's a pretty big ask against a Panthers team that I think is WAY better than last year's. A lot of people point to them not winning a playoff series, but last year they took Tampa to six games and that series was a lot closer than the box scores suggest.

I will definitely be upset - and angry - if the Caps don't come out with a full effort and determination, from the very first drop of the puck. I just want them to look like they give a crap. There's no shame in losing if you leave it all out there on the ice.

But with these goalies of ours - it's going to be a monumental task. And my concern is that Samsonov or Vanacek let in a couple of softies and the whole team just gives up.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Watched my local NAHL team go down in OT, 3-2 in the series tonight in a best of five... They were the higher seed. Our goalie was shaky and blew it... Caps going nowhere with bad goaltending in the playoffs. I have almost no confidence we can even steal a game and make it interesting due to Sammy and Vitek.

Although I remember same thing being said in 2018 with Holtby having pretty bad reg season and Grubauer starting as nr1 against the Jackets.

16-0 sweep incoming. LGC.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I honestly think they come in and play the best hockey we’ve seen all year. This is the first series of the Ovechkin era with 0 expectations. Even when they played Boston they were still positioned as expected to produce competitive results. They have 0 expectations here, I can’t remember a time this team was just expected to show up and that was good enough.

I predict Caps in 5. I watched them grip their sticks way too tight for years where they were the superior team on paper, I think we finally see what an easy going and laid back team looks like. Every guy knows his role, win the first two in FLA and it’s over. We know all too well if you catch a juggernaut early they will radically abandon the game plan and death spiral.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
I honestly think they come in and play the best hockey we’ve seen all year. This is the first series of the Ovechkin era with 0 expectations. Even when they played Boston they were still positioned as expected to produce competitive results. They have 0 expectations here, I can’t remember a time this team was just expected to show up and that was good enough.

I predict Caps in 5. I watched them grip their sticks way too tight for years where they were the superior team on paper, I think we finally see what an easy going and laid back team looks like. Every guy knows his role, win the first two in FLA and it’s over. We know all too well if you catch a juggernaut early they will radically abandon the game plan and death spiral.

Yeah last time people where kinda low on the Caps they won. After two defeats to Pens and with a team getting older and loosing some pieces the Caps was said to be worse than the years before. Also goalie troubles that year. Lets hope they can prove they are better than what most people think.

Still Backstrom and Eller arent as good as they where during the cup run, but hopefully they can lift their play some.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Although I remember same thing being said in 2018 with Holtby having pretty bad reg season and Grubauer starting as nr1 against the Jackets.

16-0 sweep incoming. LGC.

Different things though - Holts had won the Vezina a couple of years prior and was generally very very very good for us. He had a down year, but him playing the way he did in the playoffs shouldn't really have come as a complete surprise.

Our 2 current dudes haven't done squat. Ever.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Different things though - Holts had won the Vezina a couple of years prior and was generally very very very good for us. He had a down year, but him playing the way he did in the playoffs shouldn't really have come as a complete surprise.

Our 2 current dudes haven't done squat. Ever.

They will do a lot, shortly. Both of them propably.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
For the first time in my life I didn't pick the homer Caps pick. I chose Florida in 6 because I can't trust the goalies. Prove me wrong Caps. I expect Ovy, Hathaway, Wilson, Mantha, and Oshie will have a good series, however expecting Sammie or VV to completely flip a script would be a true miracle. Really hurts to pick the Panthers in six. Maybe having the Caps as severe underdogs kills playoff anxiety for me.
Post automatically merged:

I'm hoping for this.
Post automatically merged:

He did that with CBJ's. Bob has been a $10 million per year waste for the Panthers and he's one of the worst goalies in the playoffs!

This is true.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
They want to make sure they have a banger and/or size guy on every line. Ovie; Willy; Oshie/Mantha combo; all of the 4th line. It’s Lavi’s playoff happy place - slow them down by pounding their D below the line, and turn the D catalysts for FLA’s 5-man attack into panicky, scaredy Cats who want to cough up the puck to avoid getting hit. Primitive, but maybe the only ways we can be effective

swansonsays

Oct 13, 2021
The ESPN playoff primer has Florida with a "baffling first round exit" and the Caps as "limited to one round." I don't see both teams losing as an option in the poll, but it is a bold prediction.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
The ESPN playoff primer has Florida with a "baffling first round exit" and the Caps as "limited to one round." I don't see both teams losing as an option in the poll, but it is a bold prediction.
Eh it’s confusing because they essentially hedged their bets in each prediction with a “bold prediction” section after their actual analysis and predictions where they essentially get to walk back their actual predictions, so I think it’s meant to be viewed in a vacuum.

That said I’ve yet to find any analysts pick us in earnest.

Reactions: swansonsays

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Eh it’s confusing because they essentially hedged their bets in each prediction with a “bold prediction” section after their actual analysis and predictions where they essentially get to walk back their actual predictions, so I think it’s meant to be viewed in a vacuum.

That said I’ve yet to find any analysts pick us in earnest.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Cliff notes? I assume it was around goaltending and/or Backstrom?

Yes and no. A lot of it is them just talking about how Florida is just really good rather than just trashing the Caps. Plenty of talk about how unreliable Washington's goaltending is and how they need to be much better than Florida's goaltending since Washington is likely to be outshot heavily. Talked about how they need to score on the PP and how Laviolette needs to outcoach Brunette in order for them to have any chance at success. Talked about how Mantha needs to step up because otherwise why bother getting him when they already had a good regular season player in Vrana? Both agreed that they'd start Vanecek.

Both hosts picked Florida in 5.

I wouldn't say anything was too depressing, it was a realistic look at the team.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
The last time I was this Zen about a postseason was 2017-2018.

Then again, they weren't playing the #1 seed and I'm beginning to think the world doesn't revolve around my vibe.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
Yes and no. A lot of it is them just talking about how Florida is just really good rather than just trashing the Caps. Plenty of talk about how unreliable Washington's goaltending is and how they need to be much better than Florida's goaltending since Washington is likely to be outshot heavily. Talked about how they need to score on the PP and how Laviolette needs to outcoach Brunette in order for them to have any chance at success. Talked about how Mantha needs to step up because otherwise why bother getting him when they already had a good regular season player in Vrana? Both agreed that they'd start Vanecek.

Both hosts picked Florida in 5.

I wouldn't say anything was too depressing, it was a realistic look at the team.
The realistic outlook is the depressing part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad