Series Discussion: (1) AD1: Florida Panthers vs (8) WC2: Washington Capitals | Panthers win 4-2

Who wins?

• Caps in 4

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Caps in 5

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Caps in 6

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Caps in 7

Votes: 15 14.4%
  • Panthers in 4

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • Panthers in 5

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • Panthers in 6

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • Panthers in 7

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Ovi scored 50 at age 36 so we got that going for us

Votes: 21 20.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Oshie is hardly untouchable but he wouldn’t bring back any value with his contract. Any trade would make the Caps weaker. He's far from the problem so might aswell keep him unless he wants to be traded.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Hindsight Lavi Murray Forsy and friends should have been shitcanned after their 3rd straight first round exit. Giving more leeway to GMBM who has a priority to let Ovi retire here / get the record which limits him in ways.

A new hockey coach can come in and turn things around overnight. We have all seen it. Since the Murray brothers prolonged playoff chokological tenures here i am fine changing coaches every 2 years if they can't win a series. It's still terribly ironic we half ass tried to shitcan Barry, then we won a cup, and then DIDN'T retain him. So we really only do a timely shitcan of coaches if he wins a cup. We are ass backwards.

Last edited:

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Oshie is hardly untouchable but he wouldn’t bring back any value with his contract. Any trade would make the Caps weaker. He's far from the problem so might aswell keep him unless he wants to be traded.
THIS is the bottom line.

Whether you want him or or not, Oshie is worth more to us (intangibles, team chemistry, PP1) then what he would fetch on the market in a trade.

His contract number isn’t too high for what he brings imho. Give me more Oshies on my team any day.

Reactions: twabby

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Oshie is a bargain for what he brings. People declare him dead every year and then he shows up and beasts out in the playoffs. $5.7M is not too much for that.

So far. But his decline will come soon and right now we might get a good return for him.

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
THIS is the bottom line.

Whether you want him or or not, Oshie is worth more to us (intangibles, team chemistry, PP1) then what he would fetch on the market in a trade.

His contract number isn’t too high for what he brings imho. Give me more Oshies on my team any day.

His cap hit can be used for better things long-term than making a first round playoff exit.

The Caps window is closed. A garage sale for picks & prospects would be the correct move now. Wilson, Kuzy, Ovi & Orlov stay to maintain competitiveness enough for Ovi to break the record but tear the rest down

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida

He has trade value. I don't want to move him, but after what he's proven these last few years, the time to trade him would be at the deadline. A contender would absolutely give something up to add what he brings in the postseason.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
So far. But his decline will come soon and right now we might get a good return for him.

We have been hearing this for atleast 3 years now. If it doesnt come next season, theres only 2 years left.

Even going to the rebuild that you suggest, Oshie is exactly the kind of guy you want to be there to show your rookies and young players how hockey is done. The gamership, warrior mentality, just genuinely being a good guy. He is the last guy I would trade away for rebuild, especially when the return in fact wouldnt be much of anything. He is also one of the last guys i would trade in terms of being competitive, as his reg season form covers the 5,7 and his playoff form tops it easily.

Either way, Oshie stays.

And no, the window is not closed. Its not exactly wide open or anything, but we are still a 100 point team with glaring holes. You can quick fix holes, you cant quick fix rebuild.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
He has trade value. I don't want to move him, but after what he's proven these last few years, the time to trade him would be at the deadline. A contender would absolutely give something up to add what he brings in the postseason.
I don't think so.

Contender would absolutely trade for him at the deadline as a rental. But he has 2 years left after next season. I find it really hard to see anyone giving up anything of value for him with his injury history. But it's fine for us. He's earned that contract here.

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
We have been hearing this for atleast 3 years now. If it doesnt come next season, theres only 2 years left.

Even going to the rebuild that you suggest, Oshie is exactly the kind of guy you want to be there to show your rookies and young players how hockey is done. The gamership, warrior mentality, just genuinely being a good guy. He is the last guy I would trade away for rebuild, especially when the return in fact wouldnt be much of anything. He is also one of the last guys i would trade in terms of being competitive, as his reg season form covers the 5,7 and his playoff form tops it easily.

Either way, Oshie stays.

And no, the window is not closed. Its not exactly wide open or anything, but we are still a 100 point team with glaring holes. You can quick fix holes, you cant quick fix rebuild.

Sure he might be great next year, but to what purpose? We ain't going nowhere.

And since other teams also realize he has maybe a year or two of high-level play in him now is the time to trade him. Trust me, i love the guy but this teams window is closed and we have very little in the way of future assets. The list is like Protas, McMichael, Lapierre, Fever and maybe Alexeyev, AJF and Snively. The rest are either 30++ or not good enough to become regulars. As far as character guys i think both Ovi and Wilson can do that.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Sure he might be great next year, but to what purpose? We ain't going nowhere.

And since other teams also realize he has maybe a year or two of high-level play in him now is the time to trade him. Trust me, i love the guy but this teams window is closed and we have very little in the way of future assets. The list is like Protas, McMichael, Lapierre, Fever and maybe Alexeyev, AJF and Snively. The rest are either 30++ or not good enough to become regulars. As far as character guys i think both Ovi and Wilson can do that.

Even if we are not going anywhere, dont you want Oshie to be around the young guys like Protas, CMM, Lapierre etc.? What do you see as "better usage" for the cap? What do you expect any other team to give for him?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
3 days after elimination and we're talking about trading the best player in the playoffs.

Never change, HF.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Even if we are not going anywhere, dont you want Oshie to be around the young guys like Protas, CMM, Lapierre etc.? What do you see as "better usage" for the cap? What do you expect any other team to give for him?

Better usage of the cap space would be players that will be good/decent 3-4-5 years from now when the kids get better. And i would love Oshie as a mentor and all other players to stay while we get lots of prospects, quality players and future picks but the league doesn't work like that.

Blow it up isn’t the answer…sigh.

What is the answer?

3 days after elimination and we're talking about trading the best player in the playoffs.

Never change, HF.

OUR best player in the playoffs. Which we are no longer in due to a non capable squad. That player is also an injury prone 35 year old. Love him and his time here but we need youth, speed and futures and he has value that can give us that.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
OUR best player in the playoffs. Which we are no longer in due to a non capable squad. That player is also an injury prone 35 year old. Love him and his time here but we need youth, speed and futures and he has value that can give us that.

Oshie was tied 4th overall in goals among all teams in the first round. The only player in the first round with more goals and same number of games played was Kaprizov.

There are young, fast teams that didn't make the 2nd round. Or even the playoffs. It's not all about youth and speed alone.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Better usage of the cap space would be players that will be good/decent 3-4-5 years from now when the kids get better. And i would love Oshie as a mentor and all other players to stay while we get lots of prospects, quality players and future picks but the league doesn't work like that.

What is the answer?

You will have that cap space in 3-4-5 years from now, what prevents you from using it to a good/decent player then? How about the year 1 and 2. Can you point out a player thats better for us in a 6 million range, and also avaivable for us? And exactly why are we getting prospects and picks in this equation?

And the way things are set up the last thing we need to worry is cap space 5 years from now.

The answer is that you dont rush to rebuild while being a 100 point team. You keep pushing. And that doesnt prevent front office from planning ahead either.

The request to trade Oshie imo is mainly about "setting the motion" for rebuild. The gain would mostly be about settling in with a mindset that we are in the "suck" and going for high draft picks. I dont think thats the right way to go, and in fact I think that is a bad cultural approach for rebuild anyways, especially while we are still living out for Ovie-legacy.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
You will have that cap space in 3-4-5 years from now, what prevents you from using it to a good/decent player then? How about the year 1 and 2. Can you point out a player thats better for us in a 6 million range, and also avaivable for us? And exactly why are we getting prospects and picks in this equation?

And the way things are set up the last thing we need to worry is cap space 5 years from now.

The answer is that you dont rush to rebuild while being a 100 point team. You keep pushing. And that doesnt prevent front office from planning ahead either.

The request to trade Oshie imo is mainly about "setting the motion" for rebuild. The gain would mostly be about settling in with a mindset that we are in the "suck" and going for high draft picks. I dont think thats the right way to go, and in fact I think that is a bad cultural approach for rebuild anyways, especially while we are still living out for Ovie-legacy.

Nothing prevents us from cap space then. We will likely have an abundance of it. But if we don't aquire picks & prospects now we will have nothing to spend that cap space on which will turn is into Arizona.

We might make the playoffs next year (although i doubt it) and Oshie et al might do well in the first round. But we are not getting out of the first round with this old (oldest in the league) and slow (slowest in the league) team. So what's the point?

I agree with you on the culture thing but if we are being honest this core, with the exception of 2018, has underperformed in the playoffs. Now most of the core is way over 30 and not getting better.

I can see a team like Buffalo that's on the rise wanting a veteran or two in exchange for two decent prospects and/or picks. I'd do that trade for anyone not named Ovi, Kuzy, Wilson.

And i honestly think GMBM will too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese