GDT: 1/9/16 - 10:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Vancouver

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
...2 nights in a row I don't watch and we win.... Looks like i'll have to stop watching them forever so they can win :(

I also did ask for 2 wins in a row...so I'm also good luck... lets try again.

"I wish Tampa could win 6 in a row let alone 11" ....don't want to be greedy, start small. I'd be happy with 6.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Horvat certainly stood out. More impressive than the goal was the play where Stralman put him into the boards hard and he still came out with the puck. Kid's a stud.

Yeah he was pissing me off. Not many guys can make Hedman and Stralman look foolish. :laugh:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think I should turn more games off in disgust after the 1st.

I thought that wound up one of the better games we've played all year (Vasy's 3rd period growing pain aside). Even the PP looked dangerous, and had some very good movement on it.

The lines look good. Really, really hope Coop actually sticks with what works rather than finding a reason to tag Killer or Flip to Stamkos. Flip is a good hockey player when slotted next to Callahan. No need to change that. And Cally, despite missing a lot of chances, had a strong game, IMO. One or two of those will go in if he keeps that up.

What more can be said about Kuch? Absolutely no doubt who's been our best forward through 1/2 the season, and that includes 10 games in which he was abysmal out of the gate.

Now. Let's do that to a team ranked higher than 24th.

Right on, bro.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Is it dumb to name my first child after Kucherov?

The day I found out my wife was pregnant we were going to a lightning game and I told her whoever scores first we are naming our child after them. My wife said it was going to be Kucherov and it was.

She's been a huge Kucherov fan ever since and even though it's going to be a girl she insists on naming her Nikita.

Kucherov is such a great player, hope he is on our team forever.

TampaBayLightning

The Asterisk Dynasty!
Nov 10, 2013
Tampa

The day I found out my wife was pregnant we were going to a lightning game and I told her whoever scores first we are naming our child after them. My wife said it was going to be Kucherov and it was.

She's been a huge Kucherov fan ever since and even though it's going to be a girl she insists on naming her Nikita.

yes kinda dumb, now if he scores the game winning goal in game 7 of the SCF then maybe make his middle name Kuch.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket

Not if you're Russian. English equivalent to Nikita is Nicholas, soooo... ;)

EDIT: Wait, sorry, no it's not, that's Nikolai. Sorry, I thought that'd be perfect.

So I just looked it up, and Nikita means victor in Russian. Like, a victorious person. Which is what I would assume Victor, the name, originates from. So I guess Victor is the closest English equivalent.

Last edited:

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary

There is the film called Le Femme Nikita about a female assassin. So it can be a girls name.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
The last 4 periods we have looked pretty damn good. PP looked actually dangerous for huge change. Guys are turning up the intensity , it is like they realize it is the second half of the season. If Tyler can get going and score a few it would really help. Can't wait to go Friday to see them play the Penguins, should be a great game.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Ok, so we're a bit more aggressive, our dmen are more involved offensively and it pays off, eye-test wise... But I can't help myself and recall 2 or 3 scoring chances that would've ended up in sure goals last year. Opportunism was one of our main forces and it's a serious issue this year. Also, we can't sustain good hockey for a full game and that's a mystery to me. In the end, Instead of winning games by a multiple goals lead here and there, we're always forced to fight each game to the end.
Possession, goal differential, scoring chance percentage, we're top 10 team in the league regarding the key 5v5 stats, but we need first and foremost to finish our chances now. The good news is that it's a combination of small things that made us struggle so far, it was the special teams at the beginning, injuries then, Cooper being too defensive minded and the players' lack of realism... But it seems they're sloooowly righting the ship as a whole. We're not finished yet, it's a strong, talented group.

The good: It's amazing since Stamkos is paired with Palat how he doesn't like half the liability he was before. Stammer's been playing a simple game lately, getting his chances but the main point he's not a detrimental to the team anymore. And I clearly can live a with a Stamkos like that. By the way Ondrej, I love you. The other guy that amazes me is Namestnikov, he's breaking-out, it's as simple as that. Center is his natural position because his skillset fits the description, as opposed to Stamkos for example. With more minutes and better linemates the kid is playing like a legit top 6 player, possession being his biggest asset IMO.Flip is finally getting his head out his *** and that's cool. Everything has already been said about Kuch', maybe our best player this year with Bish. Nesterov doesn't look out of place anymore.

The bad: Callahan is so snakebitten I think his whole body is poisoned. My main concern is for TyJo, he doesn't look good at all, relative to last year. Hopefully he only needs time to get back into the rhythm.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Not if you're Russian. English equivalent to Nikita is Nicholas, soooo... ;)

EDIT: Wait, sorry, no it's not, that's Nikolai. Sorry, I thought that'd be perfect.

Russian Meaning: The name Nikita is a Russian baby name. In Russian the meaning of the name Nikita is: victory of the people'.

My family lived in Russia at one point.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Russian Meaning: The name Nikita is a Russian baby name. In Russian the meaning of the name Nikita is: victory of the people'.

My family lived in Russia at one point.

Yeah, look at my second edit. Sorry about that ha.

Nikita Franklin is kind of an odd name. That's just my opinion though. :laugh:

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012

Nikita is an unisex name and I'd dare to say a more female name, outside of eastern europe.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Yeah, look at my second edit. Sorry about that ha.

Nikita Franklin is kind of an odd name. That's just my opinion though. :laugh:

All good, I see it now.

I agree with you but my wife seems to have already decided on it haha I think going with Nicole makes more sense but I don't dare argue with a pregnant woman..

Either way I'm getting a Kucherov 3rd jersey next season, cant wait.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Ok, so we're a bit more aggressive, our dmen are more involved offensively and it pays off, eye-test wise... But I can't help myself and recall 2 or 3 scoring chances that would've ended up in sure goals last year. Opportunism was one of our main forces and it's a serious issue this year. Also, we can't sustain good hockey for a full game and that's a mystery to me. In the end, Instead of winning games by a multiple goals lead here and there, we're always forced to fight each game to the end.
Possession, goal differential, scoring chance percentage, we're top 10 team in the league regarding the key 5v5 stats, but we need first and foremost to finish our chances now. The good news is that it's a combination of small things that made us struggle so far, it was the special teams at the beginning, injuries then, Cooper being too defensive minded and the players' lack of realism... But it seems they're sloooowly righting the ship as a whole. We're not finished yet, it's a strong, talented group.

The good: It's amazing since Stamkos is paired with Palat how he doesn't like half the liability he was before. Stammer's been playing a simple game lately, getting his chances but the main point he's not a detrimental to the team anymore. And I clearly can live a with a Stamkos like that. By the way Ondrej, I love you. The other guy that amazes me is Namestnikov, he's breaking-out, it's as simple as that. Center is his natural position because his skillset fits the description, as opposed to Stamkos for example. With more minutes and better linemates the kid is playing like a legit top 6 player, possession being his biggest asset IMO.Flip is finally getting his head out his *** and that's cool. Everything has already been said about Kuch', maybe our best player this year with Bish. Nesterov doesn't look out of place anymore.

The bad: Callahan is so snakebitten I think his whole body is poisoned. My main concern is for TyJo, he doesn't look good at all, relative to last year. Hopefully he only needs time to get back into the rhythm.

Yes, headed in the right direction.Success builds confidence and confidence leads to more success. I don't expect an overnight sensation but it is an opportunity to build on.
I think it will rub off on Cally and Johnson. Once Tyler gets going it will make a huge difference. He looks good but just needs a goal or two then watch out!
Bish has arrived as a consistent elite player, Kuch is getting there. I don't know how many games we have lost when Bish gave up 2 or less. He may be on top of all goalies if we were scoring like we did last year.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
All good, I see it now.

I agree with you but my wife seems to have already decided on it haha I think going with Nicole makes more sense but I don't dare argue with a pregnant woman..

I didn't see that it was absolutely going to be a girl. I guess Victoria is the female Victor :laugh:

Nicole makes sense too, I don't mind that name. Had some good times with a girl named Nicole.

She hates me now. I guess I'm a ***** or something.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
All good, I see it now.

My girlfriends sister's name is Nakita

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I didn't see that it was absolutely going to be a girl. I guess Victoria is the female Victor :laugh:

Nicole makes sense too, I don't mind that name. Had some good times with a girl named Nicole.

She hates me now. I guess I'm a ***** or something.

Man, he's talking about the name of his future baby girl. :laugh:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
What about Nikki?

Nikita is supposed to be a boy's name, it's just us silly westerners making it a girl name too. Not that there's anything wrong with that. See Sam, Chris, etc.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
What about Nikki?

Nikita is supposed to be a boy's name, it's just us silly westerners making it a girl name too. Not that there's anything wrong with that. See Sam, Chris, etc.

I like Nikki also. Anything to pay homage to Kucherov would probably work for my wife. It's going to be awkward when Kucherov requests a trade in a few years though...

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Callahan was Ok. Flip makes him look less useless.

Getting more and more frustrated with him, Flip and Killer trending upwards and Cally back down. He`s not a difference maker any more, it`s sad to see what he`s become in a short time period.

Last edited:

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014

This is a good post. The team is controlling the puck more and getting more solid, scoring opportunties. The goals will come with this kind of effort.

On Stamkos, he did look good last night. He was active, created chances, won battles, got chances. This is the kind of effort we need o see from him night in and night out.

It's also nice to see him playing with top skilled forwards like Palat and Names.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Callahan was Ok. Flip makes him look less useless.

Getting more and more frustrated with him, Flip and Killer trending upwards and Cally back down. He`s not a difference maker any more, it`s sad to see what he`s become in a short time period.

Apparently all of Callahan's mojo was in his appendix. He misses it badly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad