GDT: 1/29/15 "The Not Quite All Star Game" - Blue Jackets VS Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I doubt the mark to get a wildcard spot is 98 points. That's way too high. it will get tighter down the road

it's typically 92 but I'll 94 gets it.

20-14-2 will do the trick. or 21-15. Don't matter to me.

19 home games left and 17 on the road for those wondering. And 3 of those road games are coming up!

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I think 8th will finish with 96 but Florida isn't getting that with their schedule. They just went 1-3-1 in their easiest remaining stretch of games.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
It wasn't the best looking of victories, but a win is a win. Too close for my liking and we'll have to play better overall if we want to win 2/3 of the remaining games. That's about what it will take to have a very good chance at a playoff spot.

I don't think it will take 98 points either as the Bruins and Rangers will go into a slump at some point. Definitely more than 90 I'd say. Saturday's another game that the team can't lose. Once again, it's going to take more than a three or four game winning streak to stay in the race down the line.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
attendance was 7,917

I had a good time at the game though. Pucks were flying into the stands all night. One guy got hit in the head in the 1st, a lady got hit in the 2nd, and a wrist shot hit some empty seats in the 3rd.

WESEERED

#CatsAreComing
Apr 20, 2012
attendance was 7,917

I had a good time at the game though. Pucks were flying into the stands all night. One guy got hit in the head in the 1st, a lady got hit in the 2nd, and a wrist shot hit some empty seats in the 3rd.

thats pretty abysmal

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Im just happy that we ended our losing streak

This was a make or break game for me. Lose and I could pretty much count out the playoffs, win and they just might turn the tide and have a shot. Glad to see some quick and necessary decisions with Petrovic in for Olsen and Thornton in for Upshall.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
-Gudbranson made a couple glaring errors in the 1st, but made up for it when it mattered with that strong check on Johansen at the end

-Barkov keeps finding ways to affect the scoreheet, love it

-Huberdeau finally dangles a defender at the NHL level

-Lu is the backbone

-Ekblad. His importance to this team is ridiculous at this point. Nearly as important as Lu

-Petrovic played fine, didn't have any fatal mistakes, so that's alright

We almost had two highlight reel goals in that game. The Ek breakaway chance. All he had to do was slow himself a little and lift the puck high at the point where he was a foot away from the goaltender. Huberdeau dangles through a defender, but the Jackets got back in time to block his pass over to Thornton. Both were close calls.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Im still not crazy about how we are playing at all. Felt like we were chasing the puck all night again.

I think we are a very slow team. God I would love to add some foot speed next year with trocheck, grimaldi, howden in/out on the lineup.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Im still not crazy about how we are playing at all. Felt like we were chasing the puck all night again.

I think we are a very slow team. God I would love to add some foot speed next year with trocheck, grimaldi, howden in/out on the lineup.

Agree, but I think we won last night the same way we always win. Close game and could go either way throughout the game.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
I thought CBS outplayed us, the difference being Luongo.

You can see the difference between Columbus and us. They have more complete wingers with speed and strength. Our wingers are have usually one or the other.

Petrovic didn't look like an NHL defensemen to me. He is too slow right now. Didn't move the puck as well as I woud like.

The power play was a disaster.

I don't know what it says about our team but Ekblad has the most poise with the puck.

Barkov, Huberdeau, Ekblad,Bergenheim looked great.

Jokinen and Pirri were subpar.

Bjugstad looked average. He should be impacting the game a lot more.

I don't think we will make the playoffs this year, East is stacked. I think we will compete and ultimately fall short. However, it is still way better than last year.

Barkov, Huberdeau, and Bjugstad struggle with consistency over an entire year. This should get better as they mature. Upgrading wingers, the bottom pairing, a proper back up goaltender, and fixing the power play are all solvable problems.

I like the way we are trending over the long term.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
The power play was a disaster.

I'm going to have to disagree on that. The team went 1/3 on the PP (although I don't really count the Bergy PPG), but the new-look unit still put a lot of pressure on net and had some good chances during their 1st two tries during the 1st period. The first unit is overflowing w/ skill players and the second unit, while clearly not as skilled offensively, is coming around as well. The final PP in the waning minutes of the 3rd period should be disregarded since the team went back to two defenseman and was just playing to win and not to score.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
I'm going to have to disagree on that. The team went 1/3 on the PP (although I don't really count the Bergy PPG), but the new-look unit still put a lot of pressure on net and had some good chances during their 1st two tries during the 1st period. The first unit is overflowing w/ skill players and the second unit, while clearly not as skilled offensively, is coming around as well. The final PP in the waning minutes of the 3rd period should be disregarded since the team went back to two defenseman and was just playing to win and not to score.

You are probably right, I missed those two power plays and only watched the third one.

The third power power play you are referencing right after the Bergenheim goal was awful. Playing with two defense men doesn't seem to be a good reason for it to be poor. Couldn't get possession of the puck in the attacking zone, look really disjointed transitioning up the ice as well.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida

Yep. Since the new 1st unit was put together they've had instant results, which is a great sign. The second half of the season will show us if it's not a fluke and if these guys can start to know each other. Once they really know each other, then we would see some much needed results. The 2nd unit is a huge step down and that's really all we have right now. Imo, Ekblad should be the ONLY defenseman on either unit. Maybe sometimes Kulikov, but not often. And certainly not Campbell. I believe he sabotages a lot of our power play chances. He's much more useful 5-on-5, but not the power play. He's not decisive which makes him appear slow-minded and his shot is not affective. It's not affective because he shoots to score too many times and the probability of him scoring is historically pretty low.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
-Petrovic played fine, didn't have any fatal mistakes, so that's alright

That was his guy wide open on the second goal.

I'm going to have to disagree on that. The team went 1/3 on the PP (although I don't really count the Bergy PPG)

Neither does the league, they were 0/3 yesterday. A goal scored on a delayed penalty doesn't count as a PP goal.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
attendance was 7,917

Against Columbus on a Thursday night and in a losing streak. Plus wasn't there some traffic issues for people leaving after the Detroit game. Speaking of which, what was the attendance for the Detroit game?

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
saw some dude at the arena wearing this jersey last night and thought it was sick. Why cant these be our thirds?

thumb.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad