GDT: 1/29/13 - 7:30PM EDT - Florida VS Tampa Bay

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
So I'm loving the way the team is playing now. We're scoring in bunches and doing pretty well with keeping the puck out of our own net.

BUT

At the same time, I look at the competition we've faced so far. We've beaten Caps, Flyers, Panthers, and Canes who all look lost at the moment, and a good Ottawa team playing their backup, while losing a close one to a good Islanders team. I guess I'm happy because we're playing well, but I'm trying to temper my optimism because we've had a pretty good run so far but haven't really been tested too hard. Is this an overly negative outlook?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
So I'm loving the way the team is playing now. We're scoring in bunches and doing pretty well with keeping the puck out of our own net.

BUT

At the same time, I look at the competition we've faced so far. We've beaten Caps, Flyers, Panthers, and Canes who all look lost at the moment, and a good Ottawa team playing their backup, while losing a close one to a good Islanders team. I guess I'm happy because we're playing well, but I'm trying to temper my optimism because we've had a pretty good run so far but haven't really been tested too hard. Is this an overly negative outlook?

No I feel the same way, we look good, but shouldn't get overconfident right now. Still plenty of good teams we haven't played yet, Ottawa I'd say was the biggest test so far.

We play the jets next but after that is the real test.

First week of Feb are games against, the Rangers, Flyers, Bruins, and Rangers again. Brad Richards loves to score against this team too..

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I thought it would take more time for this team and especially for our new D to gel. Since we seem to have overcome our terrible 2nd periods I'm pretty confident. I actually think this team is still getting heavily underrated.

Decimated by injuries (Malone, Lecavalier, Hedman, Thompson, Hall) and trades later on (Downie, Moore) and without a goalie and with only Brewer as a legit top-4 defender on the blueline this team still finished 10th in the East and 9th in goal scoring.

We all knew this team has a lot of potential, the organizational depth is amazing and consensus was that we were a solid goalie and one or two top-4 defenders away from making serious noise again. We have them now: Salo and Carle have been more than solid, Hedman is healthy and has progressed and matured a lot - only Lindback maybe needs a little more time to adjust.

That said, of course it's getting harder to maintain our current success. But Guy Boucher finally has the tools he needs and always wanted. Bring it on.

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yea I mean if they stay healthy and Lindback keeps getting better, they are a capable bunch to go far. Once you get into the playoffs anything can happen. We know this.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
Conacher leads all rookies in scoring, yet still is rarely getting recognized in the main board Calder thread. What more does he have to do to show he is a legit stud. I understand Taresenko is the favorite, but Cory has been keeping up with him step for step. And also has the awesome story behind his career too.

Either way though, I think it is crazy that any team could have picked him up 2 years ago, and now he is doing what he is doing. Thank God Stevie Y pulled the trigger on him.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Conacher leads all rookies in scoring, yet still is rarely getting recognized in the main board Calder thread. What more does he have to do to show he is a legit stud. I understand Taresenko is the favorite, but Cory has been keeping up with him step for step. And also has the awesome story behind his career too.

Either way though, I think it is crazy that any team could have picked him up 2 years ago, and now he is doing what he is doing. Thank God Stevie Y pulled the trigger on him.

I am actually okay with the main board ignoring the season we are having so far.
It is only a matter of time before they do take notice and then start to make up reason why we have had such a good season. (beating low level teams, playing against "back ups", Tampa will not be able to sustain this, Flash in the pan, Just getting lucky, easy schedule, SE is weak, etc, ect...)

The longer they ignore us the better.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I am actually okay with the main board ignoring the season we are having so far.
It is only a matter of time before they do take notice and then start to make up reason why we have had such a good season. (beating low level teams, playing against "back ups", Tampa will not be able to sustain this, Flash in the pan, Just getting lucky, easy schedule, SE is weak, etc, ect...)

The longer they ignore us the better.

this

It's fine if Conacher stays under the radar also, they'll start ripping into Tarasenko once his pace falls down anyways.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Bound to happen. Hopefully it's full of people talking about how overrated he is and what a bad pick at #2 overall.

Btw, looking at that class Hedmonster still looks like the #2 player in that draft, especially since OEL was brought along more slowly and not really used in a shut down role right away.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Bound to happen. Hopefully it's full of people talking about how overrated he is and what a bad pick at #2 overall.

It is only a matter of time before the “I am a fan of a western conference team and hardly watch the Lightning except for what I see on Sports Centre and NHL.com highlights but I saw this one play that may or may not have been from this season where he made a play that led directly to a scoring chance/goal for the Lightning/against the Lightning and I will now base my entire opinion on that one time.â€

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad