Post-Game Talk: 1/21/18 - Vancouver Canucks 0 @ Winnipeg Jets 1

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Ehlers was the best player on the ice tonight....while Virtanen was a healthy scratch.....oh what could have been.
Yea Ehler just gets better everytime I watch him. That speed and creativity, when hes on the ice the Canucks have no answer, its sustained pressure the whole shift.
Hate to compare him to Virtanen because I know its not Jake's fault our dumb@$$ GM picked him over Ehler, but man that has the potential to go down as another Bourdon-Kopitar oops-ie.

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
the team still sucked, but baertschi, horvat and sutter definitely move the dial a bit.

i think they will improve for a few games now. the question is how much damage was done in the past 6 weeks of being totally overwhelmed and exposed. hopefully the ship can stabilize but i feel like the platform we had in the fall where young players were developing is going to be very tough to reestablish.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
the team still sucked, but baertschi, horvat and sutter definitely move the dial a bit.

i think they will improve for a few games now. the question is how much damage was done in the past 6 weeks of being totally overwhelmed and exposed. hopefully the ship can stabilize but i feel like the platform we had in the fall where young players were developing is going to be very tough to reestablish.
At least we don't have WD right?

I haven't seen many posts complaining about Green so that's a good thing I guess?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
At least we don't have WD right?

I haven't seen many posts complaining about Green so that's a good thing I guess?

green's pretty hard to criticize given his limited time on the job and what he has to work with. how can you tell where coaching ends and player limitations takes over in the current mess? he also had some good success early on in creating a much stronger platform for player development than i ever expected coming out of training camp. until horvat went down, we had a very good thing going in terms of giving our younger players the best possible opportunity to take a step or two.

i would definitely question the way he handled the last six weeks but that's not a criticism. i personally would have favoured playing willie-ball with the depleted roster, but i don't feel confident in that opinion to criticize green with it (even though it's grown stronger as i have seen what seems like major regression to me with some younger players in that environment).

now we will see whether green knew what he was doing. if there is a fast turnaround in the play of younger guys and we revert to playing somewhat as we were in late november i will be seriously impressed.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If Virtanen can play defence and create zone time at the rate of Gaunce, I wouldn't mind him not scoring. Gaunce is useful. Virtanen is useless. Nobody gave a **** that Manny Malhotra was a black hole offensively.
While I'm on the pro-Gaunce side of the argument, when Manny Malhotra became a black hole offensively and was given a strictly defense-only role on the 4th line, everyone gave a ****, and honestly, he wasn't very effective anymore by that point.

Personally, I wasn't even sold on his defensive game at that point (even though I recall his numbers looking good given the circumstances).

Last edited:
Reactions: dim jim

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
We held em to one goal.

That's all i got.
Sutter+Horvat back should equal a return to the decent defensive team we were prior to losing them...

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Yea Ehler just gets better everytime I watch him. That speed and creativity, when hes on the ice the Canucks have no answer, its sustained pressure the whole shift.
Hate to compare him to Virtanen because I know its not Jake's fault our dumb@$$ GM picked him over Ehler, but man that has the potential to go down as another Bourdon-Kopitar oops-ie.
Ehlers might be the best skater in the NHL.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
While I'm on the pro-Gaunce side of the argument, when Manny Malhotra became a black hole offensively and was given a strictly defense-only role on the 4th line, everyone gave a ****, and honestly, he wasn't very effective anymore by that point.

Personally, I wasn't even sold on his defensive game at that point (even though I recall his numbers looking good given the circumstances).

Plenty of people here called him a black hole offensively before his eye injury, though to be fair it wasn't really accurate since he scored 11g/30p in a primarily defensive role. People were just mad he was on the 2nd PP because we had our top PP loaded up.

So I was being a little bit dishonest, but generally in hockey I want someone who just gets scored on less than he scores. This isn't realistic for every player/line on the team though, especially given deployment. So if Gaunce gets scored on 1 time a game and scores 0 times per game, or if they get scored on twice and he scores once, it's the same thing. Obviously that's an oversimplification but I think given his deployment I think he's been successful as a 4th liner.

I was trying to use an example of how a player doesn't need to score to be effective if he's good enough defensively. Similarly, I argued Bonino is better than Sutter because although Sutter is 'better defensively', Bonino has a better ratio of goals for / goals against making him the more effective hockey player.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Plenty of people here called him a black hole offensively before his eye injury, though to be fair it wasn't really accurate since he scored 11g/30p in a primarily defensive role. People were just mad he was on the 2nd PP because we had our top PP loaded up.

So I was being a little bit dishonest, but generally in hockey I want someone who just gets scored on less than he scores. This isn't realistic for every player/line on the team though, especially given deployment. So if Gaunce gets scored on 1 time a game and scores 0 times per game, or if they get scored on twice and he scores once, it's the same thing. Obviously that's an oversimplification but I think given his deployment I think he's been successful as a 4th liner.

I was trying to use an example of how a player doesn't need to score to be effective if he's good enough defensively. Similarly, I argued Bonino is better than Sutter because although Sutter is 'better defensively', Bonino has a better ratio of goals for / goals against making him the more effective hockey player.
I agree with the general sentiment, but I don't think it's the best comparable. Only the biggest moron in the world would call the Selke-worthy 11 goal, 30 point version of Malhotra who anchored one of the best third lines in the league that year an offensive black hole.

Post eye-injury Malhotra was the only one who was deployed similarly to Gaunce and produced as underwhelmingly.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I agree with the general sentiment, but I don't think it's the best comparable. Only the biggest moron in the world would call the Selke-worthy 11 goal, 30 point version of Malhotra who anchored one of the best third lines in the league that year an offensive black hole.

Post eye-injury Malhotra was the only one who was deployed similarly to Gaunce and produced as underwhelmingly.

No for sure I admit it wasn't the best comparable, but he also certainly didn't bring a ton of offense to a line with Torres and Hansen. I actually agree that he should have been Selke worthy, but in reality he wasn't. While the Selke is meant to go to the best defensive forward, it goes to the best two way forward something Malhotra certainly is not.

Also, lets be clear, the reason it was one of the best third lines in hockey if not the best third line in hockey was because of his defensive play. They certainly chipped a few big goals in, but he was not here for his point totals. He was here to shut down opponents which he did. I don't think people here would sour on that version of Manny if he scored 5g 20p because of how effective he was. Gaunce is also nowhere near the level of Manny, but he's also not anchoring the 3rd line on the best team in the league. He's a 4th line winger on a bottom 3 team who also coincidentally has the worst defence in the league behind him.

You can only expect so much out of a 4th line defensive winger on this team. Virtanen isn't as good defensively, and also isn't producing at all or showing any signs of physicality. Not only that but Gaunce's shooting percentage is exceedingly low and as someone else posted here he actually gets more high quality shots than Virtanen.

2017/18 Gaunce > 2017/18 Virtanen because Gaunce's defensive play has more of an impact on the game than Virtanen's offensive play.

I think you're focusing a bit too heavily on the comparison to Malhotra. I admitted that it was a bit dishonest, but I also tried to clarify what I meant. It's that good offense can overcome bad defense, and good defense can overcome bad offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00