Post-Game Talk: 1/21/18 - Vancouver Canucks 0 @ Winnipeg Jets 1

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
It's probably for the best if they do. Try and get him some confidence. They set the example with Goldobin, they should keep up the standard.
Good point, if Goldy gets sent down after a bad 7-8 games Virt should definitely go to Utica after a bad 12-13 games.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And how is this the Sedins´ fault?

Sure they aren´t worth their contract this year, but to move on just for the sake of moving on is quite silly. Would having two extremely professional and experienced guys hurt you at 1m each? Hardly. They are not the one "blocking" the youngsters in such a scenario. If they ask for another big contract because of what they have historically accomplished - then I agree. Even if it wouldn´t really matter much for next year if they were paid 5m each on a one year deal.
For me, it just seems like they are just settling on the twins if they bring them back. More an indictment on mgmt, but if moving on from the twins is what is necessary for this group to be in complete rebuild with all their transactions so be it.

Twins aren't bringing anything defensively. Horrible when it comes to back checking off the rush.

And at the end if the game, they don't even take a shot on net when they have a chance. Late goals generally come from scrambles in tight when you out number the D. Get it to the freaking net.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Boeser looked dangerous today. Think they’ll start bouncing in again. Didn’t notice Horvat, don’t think that’s a bad thing either. Stetcher played well. Nilsson stood on his head for once. Cooking and watching hockey, might be a thing for me this year.
Wait you cook??

What was it? Kraft dinner or Mr Noodle :laugh:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Good point, if Goldy gets sent down after a bad 7-8 games Virt should definitely go to Utica after a bad 12-13 games.
Virtanen can play in the bottom 6 and has been pretty good with a defensive centre like Gaunce, he's also a pretty good possession driver.

Goldobin is a player that's really only effective in the offensive zone. That being said I wouldn't have sent him down either.

Reactions: 2011 still hurts

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
One of those games where if the team can only score a single goal, they'll get a point, or maybe even a win, but they can't manage it. Our scoring ability is so bad right now. So few high quality chances for the Canucks in that game. The Jets had plenty of them, but Neilson was stellar.

Oh, and I think the Puliot experiment should just be called off, now. He looked good here and there, but it's pretty clear he's not NHL quality.

Reactions: The Extrapolater

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Twins will be back, cuz they are having a decent year for heir age, they wanna come back, and Trev is their buddy. It’s a matter of at what price.

New GM will bring in his own coach. And for that I am thankful.

I really want to move on from the twins.... It doesn't seem like we can ever start fresh and take out lumps that we've been holding off on over these past few years.

Really hope when Aquaman goes interviewing for a new GM, that the top candidates tell him, that their plan for the Canucks would be to let the twins walk.

As for this game, the overpassing by the twins in the final 1:30 on the PP. For crying out loud take a shot on goal and generate a rebound. Not every assist is going to be the result of a direct pass.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Twins will be back, cuz they are having a decent year for heir age, they wanna come back, and Trev is their buddy. It’s a matter of at what price.

New GM will bring in his own coach. And for that I am thankful.
Awesome stuff Johnny....Lets hire a new GM every 3 years, and have a new coach every year..Your a f***ing genius...

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Brendan Gaunce is a top 10 most useless/replaceable player in the NHL.

Useless no, replaceable yes
There are plenty of players out there that can be had for cheap who are as good as Gaunce, although I do think he has some potential to improve his game still. I just wouldn't rather have Virtanen on the ice over Gaunce with the way they've been playing. I would still keep Virtanen as an asset over Gaunce though just for his potential. I'm not trying to argue that Gaunce is some top player with heaps of untapped potential, who will end up being our Manny Malhotra (fingers crossed for this very unlikely outcome). I just think it's a fine 4th liner you can trust on the ice, and Virtanen isn't even that.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Yep.. haha. I am super upset.. no jokes this time...
Benning needs to go fast, and Linden as well.
I can't take this team and this direction....

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I cant believe how bad our d is...this is ******ed....
You'd think that as a NHL defenseman once himself - this would be the one area Benning could've have rebuilt decently. He inherited a Tanev in his prime. He can make a pairing look halfway decent regardless whoever that other D might be. That's almost half the job done there. Edler was what, 28 years old when Benning was hired. Hardly over the hill. That's another top 4 spot filled. Hamhuis was still good enough to buy Benning some time back in 2014. Sure there was a problem offensively with the blueline when Benning came aboard - but jeebus they even ain't all that great defensively right now.

Benning blew his *** on a guy that can't even be in the bloody lineup since he seems to suffer from the Salo disease.

Reactions: Ozone

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
For me, it just seems like they are just settling on the twins if they bring them back. More an indictment on mgmt, but if moving on from the twins is what is necessary for this group to be in complete rebuild with all their transactions so be it.

Twins aren't bringing anything defensively. Horrible when it comes to back checking off the rush.

And at the end if the game, they don't even take a shot on net when they have a chance. Late goals generally come from scrambles in tight when you out number the D. Get it to the freaking net.

I think Green is making it quite clear that the first part wouldn't be true going forward. Just a shame we didn't try to rebuild a bit earlier. If we had been Toronto having the Sedins' for the next 2-3 years on dirty cheap contracts could have been gold - we actually could have been a contender in such a scenario.

Their points per minute is still top 70 in the NHL for both of them. Not saying they are border line 1st line players still, but to hope they retire instead of playing on a 2-3rd line due to the incompetence of our management is still a bit odd in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00