GDT: 1/21/13 "Sensing Victory" - Panthers VS Senators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
We capitalized on opportunities, we didn't do that tonight. That and we gave effort all game defensively which was totally absent tonight.

We came ready to play and Carolina didn't, we scored 4 goals in the 1st. After that, Carolina outshot us badly. We did look a bit disoriented tonight, but this looks like a team that's missing three of it's best forwards. Unfortunately, tonight is about what I expected.

The Sens have a dynamic offense and they just exposed us badly tonight. We couldn't sustain any offensive zone pressure at all, Ottawa had the puck all game.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
This thread makes me glad I don't have internet or cable and couldn't watch the game :(

Last edited:

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Sens fan here.

Get used to this type of performance from Kovalev. When he played for the Sens, his dud nights were far and away more numerous than his good nights. Still, even when he's floating around, he's still able to do something magical out of the blue. His skating has always been suspect but you can't get the puck off him so it usually isn't a huge issue...as long as he has the puck in the offensive zone. He is legendary as being awesome in the locker room, and will be really good with the young players.
Kuba is your classic invisible player. I mean that in a good way. He rarely does something bad. He just calmly goes about his work and generally helps with the transition out of the defensive zone. My biggest complaint about him is that he's 6'4" or something but never, ever, throws a hit. Just a quiet, calm game with absolutely no flash at all.

Best of luck this season and let's hope your boys take it to the Habs.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
For all those wondering about why Kopecky always the one who ends up with chances on his stick....

It's because he makes those chances for himself. His stick is incredibly active, and he's a big body so pucks have a greater chance of deflecting off of him. He's not that talented of a hockey player but his hockey sense is pretty good. He's in the right place a lot of the time, he's just slow/sloppy with the puck.

The reason we saw Skille and Matthias get chances tonight was because they created them out of hustle and determination. I really like what I'm seeing from Matthias this year. Kid looks much more refined and seems to have worked on his skating a ton in the offseason. I hope he can start potting some goals and get some confidence in his offensive game.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
people need to stop analyzing every player on their performance tonight. everyone was terrible...aside from theodore, and even he caught the suck bug on that last goal.

the sens just outworked us from start to finish. any time we get outworked that badly, we're going to lose. we're not a team overloaded with talent to be able to withstand that type of energy and slip in 3-4 goals on pure skill and sneak out a win.

the sens were in their home opener...hopefully that's the excuse...because honestly, it was brutal. they were all over us all night long. even campbell had trouble with the pressure and he's as good as they get back there buying time and making the right play.

just forget about it and move on

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
We came out flat against a team we always have trouble with at their first home game of the season. As long as we win tomorrow, things will be fine. We need to hover around .500 until we can get Goc, Bergie, and Versteeg back. It will be nice to have guds too.

Exactly. Didn't watch the game, but, figured this would happen.

It's w/e, 46 games left, as long as we float around .500 till our injured guys get healthy I'll call it a good start.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
brital game.completely out worked the first and most of the second. couldn't sustain any offense. bright spots skille, theo and:help, mathias. very dissapointed in kulikov!

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Sens fan here.

Get used to this type of performance from Kovalev. When he played for the Sens, his dud nights were far and away more numerous than his good nights. Still, even when he's floating around, he's still able to do something magical out of the blue. His skating has always been suspect but you can't get the puck off him so it usually isn't a huge issue...as long as he has the puck in the offensive zone. He is legendary as being awesome in the locker room, and will be really good with the young players.
Kuba is your classic invisible player. I mean that in a good way. He rarely does something bad. He just calmly goes about his work and generally helps with the transition out of the defensive zone. My biggest complaint about him is that he's 6'4" or something but never, ever, throws a hit. Just a quiet, calm game with absolutely no flash at all.

Best of luck this season and let's hope your boys take it to the Habs.

To be fair.. We're banged up. You didn't see our A game last night and you won't on Thursday.

Missing Versteeg, Goc and Bergenheim. Decimated lines.

Jacob Roberts

Jan 27, 2011
Jinju, S Korea
Even Campbell looked lost. Too many giveaways and the puck just seemed to bounce Ottawas' way the whole night.

If kovi needs a night off, what do you think of putting Matthias centering Mueller and Huberdeau?? Matthias was the only player able to skate the puck into the offensive zone tonight and he is deceptively fast for a big boy.

Always thought these 2 things about Matthias. REALLY fast, and can carry the puck into the zone. Watch closely and there arent many better players on the team at it. Next step for him is to really produce offensively but he definitely has some good tools.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Interested to see how things look with some guys back, and Santo out. Just send him down, for crying.

Matthias and Skille were our hardest working guys, constantly pressed the play and wore down the D. The 4th line created chances and caused two icings, top lines couldn't capitalize.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Kovalev needs a night off after playing 2 or 3 shifts every time he hit the ice. His best shift was one with Skille and Matthias (IIRC).

I found that some of the things people are complaining about are more issues with not practicing (Hubie's turnover where the whole team flew the zone because they haven't had the practice time) then it was guys "playing poorly". Kulikov clearly wasn't in game shape, but still trooped it out, and played well defensively.

The big thing right now is working on things in game to get a feel for them, because you don't have a lot of practice time. Also, the first PP should be on a short leash. It is not okay to let them make the same mistakes over and over and not move around the pieces at least.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
For all those wondering about why Kopecky always the one who ends up with chances on his stick....

It's because he makes those chances for himself. His stick is incredibly active, and he's a big body so pucks have a greater chance of deflecting off of him. He's not that talented of a hockey player but his hockey sense is pretty good. He's in the right place a lot of the time, he's just slow/sloppy with the puck.

The reason we saw Skille and Matthias get chances tonight was because they created them out of hustle and determination. I really like what I'm seeing from Matthias this year. Kid looks much more refined and seems to have worked on his skating a ton in the offseason. I hope he can start potting some goals and get some confidence in his offensive game.

I think you were alluding to it, but Kopecky is a big hustle player too. One thing you can't knock is his work ethic. He always goes to the net.

Interested to see how things look with some guys back, and Santo out. Just send him down, for crying.

Matthias and Skille were our hardest working guys, constantly pressed the play and wore down the D. The 4th line created chances and caused two icings, top lines couldn't capitalize.

At least Weiss might have have an excuse. He could still be sick. Flash just sucks. He's a floater and he sucks defensively. If he wasn't a scorer, he'd be vilified worse than Jovo here.

Tuco

Jul 30, 2007
I think you were alluding to it, but Kopecky is a big hustle player too. One thing you can't knock is his work ethic. He always goes to the net.

At least Weiss might have have an excuse. He could still be sick. Flash just sucks. He's a floater and he sucks defensively. If he wasn't a scorer, he'd be vilified worse than Jovo here.

Our first line looks like crap without Versteeg.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Need to get healthy by the end of the month, hopefully.

Flash-Weiss-Versteeg
Huby-Mueller-Kovalev/Upshall
Bergy-Goc-Kopecky
Skille-Matthias-Upshall/Kovalev
Parros/Smithson

I want to see these lines. Until they get to these combos, it's going to be a grind and a roller coaster, so get ready for a bumpy ride.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Always thought these 2 things about Matthias. REALLY fast, and can carry the puck into the zone. Watch closely and there arent many better players on the team at it. Next step for him is to really produce offensively but he definitely has some good tools.

Matthais lacks offensive skill. He's a very good skater for his size and can move the puck up ice with ease when he has space but once he gets in the offensive zone and there is less space it's pretty much over for him. He lacks creativity with the puck, patience, and any type of shot. He needs to become a shut down center who plays a physical game because he has the size and speed to defend pretty much anyone. Dineen and co. need to turn him into a Bobby Holik type guy with better wheels.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Need to get healthy by the end of the month, hopefully.

Flash-Weiss-Versteeg
Huby-Mueller-Kovalev/Upshall
Bergy-Goc-Kopecky
Skille-Matthias-Upshall/Kovalev
Parros/Smithson

I want to see these lines. Until they get to these combos, it's going to be a grind and a roller coaster, so get ready for a bumpy ride.
Solid lines. I wouldn't be surprised if Dineen moved Goc to the second line and put Hubs and Mueller on his wings. I think Matthias can handle third line duties and Smithson is great as the fourth line center. Upshall, Kopecky, and Kovalev are interchangeable to a degree so whomever is playing the best gets the most ice time.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
flash was our best forward last season and i think he still is our most talented forward. versteeg is missing and weiss isnt playing like he normally does, i dont know why but he looks a bit off. its only been 2 games. wait till that line is back together and everyone is 100% and get some of the rust off, itll come. and on a side note i see what the other posters meant now by kovalevs play, that guy does not skate...at all :laugh: he doesnt try haha but hopefully he can help on the pp and once the puck is in the offensive zone he might be able to create chances. i absolutely love skille's effort, as well as matthias. cant wait till everyone is healthy and playing again. theres never a season that goes by that we dont get loads of injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark