GDT: 1/21/13 - 1:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ New York Islanders

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
It's not Hedman's nature to just go out there and destroy people. If he constantly went out onto the ice looking for big hits, it'd take him out of position and he'd sacrifice very important defensive zone positioning. Even though physical aggression isn't a natural part of his game, he's been doing very well in the physical department and he had a few hip checks and body checks that successfully removed the Islanders' forwards off the puck.

Thank you! I thought Hedman had a pretty good game today. Saw more hitting out of him today than almost all of last season and it's still not enough for some people. More to being a defender than the ability to lay a guy out.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Thank you! I thought Hedman had a pretty good game today. Saw more hitting out of him today than almost all of last season and it's still not enough for some people. More to being a defender than the ability to lay a guy out.

I think fans are just frustrated after today's result and it brings back painful memories of last year. People have to stop hoping he lives up to the expectations of a player who was drafted behind Tavares. If you look at a lot of the picks that were made early in that draft, you'll find that he was the right pick. Several of the other first rounders are finding it difficult to crack NHL rosters and others haven't been able to make a consistent impact at the pro level. Hedman's been a solid top 4 defenseman, logs quality minutes, is evolving his game to include a physical edge and has untapped offensive potential (still does in my eyes). Defensemen generally take longer to adjust to the NHL and despite his on-ice maturity, we may have rushed his development a bit. Still, he's an invaluable piece to our team and he'll be integral to any future Cup run we may have.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Tough loss. They came out flat and too many penalties again. They are too good 5-5 to get into the pb. They need to play with more discipline and they will get rolling faster. They know they can score goals. Play sound defense and Lindback was pretty good I thought but he can get better of course. I think he will. D let them get behind us for too many breakaways and that can't happen but the more aggressive the team has to play because they are behind from lack of discipline early I'm games haunted them today. They are better than that. Gotta bounce back tomorrow.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Just a few observations two games in...

1. Love Hedmans aggressiveness. Clearly, the reigns have been taken off
2. Conacher is good
3. Lindback can learn rebound control, hes got the rest

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Conacher is amazing!

M. St. Louis (3) - ASST: S. Stamkos (3), C. Conacher (2)
S. Stamkos (1) - ASST: C. Conacher (3), M. St. Louis (2)

Do we have a new first line?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The new potential first line looked good but they lack any toughness, need Aulie out there with them.
Purcell and Malone were never a treat offensively, Vinny worked better with Pyatt and Pouliet, they get paid too much to be 3rd line wingers.
Lee had a bad game, first penalty a joke his second was him being lazy, we only have one other RHD so we need him in the lineup.
Labrie doesn't add anything Crombeen doesn't already bring so we should scratch him and see what Mikkelson has, Bergeron is no longer relevant with Carle and Salo on the PP so expect him to be a scratch a lot.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Conacher is amazing!

M. St. Louis (3) - ASST: S. Stamkos (3), C. Conacher (2)
S. Stamkos (1) - ASST: C. Conacher (3), M. St. Louis (2)

Do we have a new first line?

I was wondering about this. If we play those 3 on a line, then where does Malone shift to? The balance we saw in the lines from the season opener was great and I think everyone was a little tired/jaded after the big victory we had a couple nights ago. The one improvement was from Pouliot, as he was pretty invisible in the 1st game but was much, much more involved today. It'll be interesting going forward because if Conacher-Stamkos-St.Louis continues to produce, there's no reason to separate them.

The new potential first line looked good but they lack any toughness, need Aulie out there with them.
Purcell and Malone were never a treat offensively, Vinny worked better with Pyatt and Pouliet, they get paid too much to be 3rd line wingers.

I agree with you Hose, Purcell was much better in the first game and looked too pedestrian today. Malone had moments of brilliance (early hit on Streit and the PK where he kept the puck in their zone for a good 30 seconds), but they were too few and far between.

isleskovalchuk

May 20, 2007
Good game today guys...

Just wanted to stop by and say wow Lindback is quick for a big guy. Despite giving up 4 today he looked great, I think you made a great move scooping him.

Also, your top 2 lines are going to be fun to watch for a long time in Tampa!

Good Luck in the shortened season

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I think fans are just frustrated after today's result and it brings back painful memories of last year. People have to stop hoping he lives up to the expectations of a player who was drafted behind Tavares. If you look at a lot of the picks that were made early in that draft, you'll find that he was the right pick. Several of the other first rounders are finding it difficult to crack NHL rosters and others haven't been able to make a consistent impact at the pro level. Hedman's been a solid top 4 defenseman, logs quality minutes, is evolving his game to include a physical edge and has untapped offensive potential (still does in my eyes). Defensemen generally take longer to adjust to the NHL and despite his on-ice maturity, we may have rushed his development a bit. Still, he's an invaluable piece to our team and he'll be integral to any future Cup run we may have.
I don't get this and find this hilarious, i'm supposed to be disappointed a kid stepped into the lineup at 18 and became a top four defender and became the heavy lifter on defense at 20/21? Like, what the hell are you people expecting of hedman? Dudes a tank, is still growing into his body, and is one of the most important defenders on the team, ****.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
I don't get this and find this hilarious, i'm supposed to be disappointed a kid stepped into the lineup at 18 and became a top four defender and became the heavy lifter on defense at 20/21? Like, what the hell are you people expecting of hedman? Dudes a tank, is still growing into his body, and is one of the most important defenders on the team, ****.

What don't you get? I'm in support of Hedman, re-read what I wrote. I was responding to another poster who was on Hedman's case.

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State
I actually have been much more happier with Hedman's play especially against Washington than the way he played the 2nd half last year after his concussion. He seems to have gotten over it and he'll keep getting better. Not impressed with Lee today at all and hopefully Labrie shows something other than his ability to "float" the more games he gets to play in. Whatever it is, we just seem to have a problem with winning on the island.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
What don't you get? I'm in support of Hedman, re-read what I wrote. I was responding to another poster who was on Hedman's case.

For clarity that wasn't necessarily you I was responding to, I just happened to quote you, I know its confusing...

Guy preaches staying level, never too high, never too low. Don't let one loss get you all worked up, relax. Boys probably had some fun in NY the night before and came out sluggish. I think tomorrow against CAR is going to be a little more telling as to what this team is, lets hope its something better.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
For clarity that wasn't necessarily you I was responding to, I just happened to quote you, I know its confusing...

Guy preaches staying level, never too high, never too low. Don't let one loss get you all worked up, relax. Boys probably had some fun in NY the night before and came out sluggish. I think tomorrow against CAR is going to be a little more telling as to what this team is, lets hope its something better.

I feel as though we're arguing the same side and you just quoted the wrong comment. In either case, I agree. I don't think this inconsistency is the same thing that plagued our team last year and today's loss was the result of rustiness and being complacent after our big home win. You can tell this team has the depth and star power throughout the line-up to at least make the playoffs. Let's stay positive, we're only two games into the season!

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I feel as though we're arguing the same side and you just quoted the wrong comment. In either case, I agree. I don't think this inconsistency is the same thing that plagued our team last year and today's loss was the result of rustiness and being complacent after our big home win. You can tell this team has the depth and star power throughout the line-up to at least make the playoffs. Let's stay positive, we're only two games into the season!

More or less :laugh:

I just think people are a little crazy with expectations. Hedman is incredible for what he is in this moment right now, let alone what he'll be in three years. Life is good with him back there, and Barberio, and Gudas, and Nesterov, and Koekkoek coming.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Lindback has been so-so thus far. The 4th goal today was brutal. Being that big there is no reason that puck should go in the net even if hes not trying.

Hes made some nice saves, but he hasnt made a huge game saver/changer yet, and he has let in a few bad goals also.

I know it wont be an overnight process with him and thats fine. Just stating observations for now. I will say his rebound control looked much better already today then opening night.

I called this as a let down game. Knew it.

Should be interesting to see if Garon gets the start tomorrow and obviously how that game goes. Its a pretty big game already seeing as its division and we dont want to go 1-2 already.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Doh, annoying loss, would been great to start with a few wins in a row, with the short season and all.

Oh well, what matters is how they respond, if they beat the Canes Im fine.

TBLbrian

Mar 5, 2008
NC
Wait, people think Lindback had a bad game? I know he wasn't lights out, but I am pretty sure they had over 40 shots and with the number of penalties we took I do not see it.

Although I also have seen the rebounds, most of them seem to be kicked off to the side which is what they are trained to do. Needs improvement, but that is the only weakness I have seen so far.

EDIT: 44 shots!

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
Hey guys,

I've been a fan of Cory Conacher since last season.
He's playing with Marty and Stamkos, correct?

Is he the real deal the last two games?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Hey guys,

I've been a fan of Cory Conacher since last season.
He's playing with Marty and Stamkos, correct?

Is he the real deal the last two games?

He did for the 3rd period. He plays mostly with Lecavalier and Purcell but Boucher likes to change up the line combinations.

He looks real. 4 points in 2 games and is 2nd in rookie scoring, and only 1 point behind Tarasenko. Definitely helps that he's playing with good offensive players and he's been playing the whole season.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England
One problem I have with Hedmans game so far, is he keeps looking like he is trying to start a fight.

I dunno about you guys, but one he wasn't any good when he did fight before and two I don't want to see him off the ice for 5, far too valuable for that and finally concussion worries.

Apart from that he has developed just how we could have hoped, he looks so much more confident out there, long may it continue.

Lindback has a sv% at 0.9 and above for both his games so far, as long as he stays above 0.9 I am happy, that is something we have not had in a long time. Any better than that is a bonus. Its his first season as a starter.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I'm not going to search through the thread but what is people's problem with Hedman now? He was arguably our best defensemen last night, and in our opener he was a beast defensively.......What more do you want from a defensemen? Hes never going to put up 70 point seasons or have Scott Steven's hitting ability. With the tool set he does have and how hes used it so far the last two games I'm more than happy with his progression that he has made.

Whats there to hate?

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
I'm not going to search through the thread but what is people's problem with Hedman now? He was arguably our best defensemen last night, and in our opener he was a beast defensively.......What more do you want from a defensemen? Hes never going to put up 70 point seasons or have Scott Steven's hitting ability. With the tool set he does have and how hes used it so far the last two games I'm more than happy with his progression that he has made.

Whats there to hate?

It was basically one guy. Who also hates everything else.

CC321

Jun 23, 2012
I'm not sure what was worse: That the team didn't get pumped up for Vinny's 1,000th game, or that Vinny didn't even get pumped up for Vinny's 1,000th game.

The Islanders wanted the win more than we did and they got it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad