Post-Game Talk: 1/20/18 | Canucks 2 @ Oilers 5

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
So are you saying that injuries haven’t been a factor for the Canucks this year? (Losing two important centers, a Top 6 winger, defensemen, etc.). Cmon son.

Having said all that, I do think the injury issue needs to be addressed. The Canucks have been decimated with injury for numerous years. If it happens once or twice, you can blame it on bad luck. If it happens more than that however, then the organization needs to start looking at things. Are certain players not conditioned enough? Are certain players too soft/brittle? Management needs to look into this.

I think your on to something...management would be a good starting point me thinks :eek:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
So are you saying that injuries haven’t been a factor for the Canucks this year? (Losing two important centers, a Top 6 winger, defensemen, etc.). Cmon son.

Having said all that, I do think the injury issue needs to be addressed. The Canucks have been decimated with injury for numerous years. If it happens once or twice, you can blame it on bad luck. If it happens more than that however, then the organization needs to start looking at things. Are certain players not conditioned enough? Are certain players too soft/brittle? Management needs to look into this.

We are the only team this entire NHL season to have injuries, so obviously it’s unfair to think we can compete.

2019 is going to be an amazing cup run

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta

Yeah i get it,,thats really what in meaning to say,,certain players are brittle,,ie:Tanev,,some are way to soft,,some just bad luck,Bo.But yes the organization needs to be looking at what the players injury history is like before bringing then in.Gudbranson is a good example.Every team go,s thru injurys but still play thru them.Its our team use,s it as an excuse when we are not winning.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Markstrom just got hung out to dry in this game.....lost track of the number of eye-ball to eye=ball chances he faced.....you just hope it was the week off and all the time spent in Cancun.......because that might have been one of the Canucks worst efforts defensively this season. There ottta' be a law that Gagner and Del Zotto can't be on the ice together at the same time....but I guess you don't control the match-ups on the road.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I think some people misinterpreted my post (likely deliberately).

Injuries happen all the time and teams need to have enough adequate depth to counter those injuries.

In the case of the Canucks (a rebuilding team) I’m not surprised that they have struggled so mightily due to some key injuries.

However........cmon guys: almost ANY team that is missing two of their four centers, a Top 6 winger, and multiple roster defensemen will struggle.

In 1-2 years (when our solid prospects start cracking the line-up), our team will be far less susceptible to injuries as they are now.

What concerns me right now however is this: this current core of Canucks have been getting injured quite frequently for a few years now. If it happens once or twice, you can blame it on bad luck. Multiple times however, and an analysis is required. Are the players who are getting injured constantly (Guds, Edler, Tanev, Sutter) too soft? Too brittle? Lack conditioning? I think this needs to be looked into.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Markstrom just got hung out to dry in this game.....

This problem will get even worse if we trade Tanev for a pick or prospect. Welcome to the NHL Thatcher Demko. We look forward to throwing you to the wolves, and sapping you of your confidence and development.

The Canucks not only need to keep Tanev so that they can protect their goalies, but they need to re-sign Gudbranson as well. Ensuring depth on that right side is absolutely vital. Our left side lacks depth as well, but at least it’s not on life support like our right side.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
He went to Vegas on his break.

Why towards Jake,,,,crap defense,and ahl goaltending at its best.
Along with over priced and soft aging vets and a rookie coach.
This is what Linden and Benning are selling to the fans of Vancouver..Then we hear about all the injurys we had this year,and some promising rookies we have.Its the same crap every year under Benning.Im calling for his firing now,,what the hell are we waiting for?.More Linden Vey,s and Loui Erikssons..

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
We have wifi at Denny’s. So I can post WHILST working.

Also you comment on all my posts so I am obviously a bee in your bonnet. :)

He’s literally trying to get a reaction from u guys.
Imagine how exciting that life is. Get yelled at serving at Denny’s then come home and fire up the laptop

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Not gonna fly. We aren’t talking about losing a trade 60/40.

He wasted a 5th on Juolevi
He wasted a 6th on Virtanen
He wasted a 24 on Mccaan

He set this franchise back 3 EXTRA years on top of the rebuild 5 years.

Imagine having good nhl players for those 3 guys.

I don’t want to keep beating this drum, but trust me.......Eriksson is gone after his 4th year. He will either be traded to a cap floor team (if he manages to pick up his game), or he will retire with 31 of his 36 million paid out to him.

Benning structured Eriksson’s contract in this way on purpose. It’s modern day cap circumvention and It’s pure genuis.

Having said that, I will have to admit that Eriksson has been a dud while he’s been here. Even the harshest of Eriksson’s critics wouldn’t have predicted Eriksson being this bad. Most would have pegged Eriksson having at least 3 very solid years for us (which is what Benning likely predicted as well).

You win a few.......you lose a few. No GM bats 1.000.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Demko isn’t coming up next year , Linden orettt much said that. We give up 40 chances a game and 10 of them are grade A. I have not seen a team give up this many chances since the Crawford era, it’s nuts how high quality they are too. Some of it is personel but a lot of it is a brain dead coach.

The old Minnesota wild , New Jersey devils etc when they didn’t have the horses they played a defensive system that didn’t trade chances.

Our coach “never minds our game” even after winning 4 / 20 games.

This problem will get even worse if we trade Tanev for a pick or prospect. Welcome to the NHL Thatcher Demko. We look forward to throwing you to the wolves, and sapping you of your confidence and development.

The Canucks not only need to keep Tanev so that they can protect their goalies, but they need to re-sign Gudbranson as well. Ensuring depth on that right side is absolutely vital. Our left side lacks depth as well, but at least it’s not on life support like our right side.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

He wasted a 24 on Mccaan

Yep could be this lineup RIGHT now:

Ehlers Horvat Boeser
Baertchi Nylander Pastaneck
Sedin Sedin Vanek
Plug Sutter Plug

:(

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Or even a player with a little edge, personality ... this team is so soft and so boring and has 0 bite. We used to be the most hated team in the league. Had characters.

You think anyone is scared to play against the vaunted Hutton / Stetcher duo?

To line up against the the leagues nicest guy in Horvat or happy go lucky Baertschi?

How about the affable Grandlund/Erickson’s of the world. Nobody dare go in to a corner battle with those thugs.

Bieksa, Kesler, Burrows, Luongo, Torres, Lappierre, Rypien etc.... those are guys you don’t wanna play against.

Yep could be this lineup RIGHT now:

Ehlers Horvat Boeser
Baertchi Nylander Pastaneck
Sedin Sedin Vanek
Plug Sutter Plug

:(

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

He wasted a 24 on Mccaan

No GM drafts 1.000 dude.

No GM has a crystal ball and makes the correct decision 100% of the time.

Time will tell if Benning screwed the pooch with his selections of Virtanen and Juolevi (I’ll omit the McCann pick because most picks around that pick are dice-rolls), but Benning’s selections of Boeser and Pettersson look like absolute gems (again, too early for a prognosis, time will tell).

Even guys like Demko, Tryamkin, Lind, etc., look like absolute steals relative to where they were drafted (again, time will tell).

For the most part, Benning seems to have done an excellent job of rebuilding the prospect pool.

Outside of the Eriksson deal (which is a closet 4 year deal not 6 year deal) and the Forsling trade, I can’t see any major mistakes that Benning has made. People talk about Linden Vey, Erik Gudbranson, and Brandon Prust, etc., but all of those deals were extremely minor and the trading partner didn’t benefit from those deals either.

Last edited:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I like how plenty of Benning posters here said injuries were no excuse for not winning in 2011 because we were a soft team, but now the Canucks being injured at the same rate they are every f***ing year is an excuse for being a bottom 3 team in the league.

What the f***

If we had Sutter maybe we could pick 6th instead of 3rd, what a foun f***ing dational player

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
I don’t want to keep beating this drum, but trust me.......Eriksson is gone after his 4th year. He will either be traded to a cap floor team (if he manages to pick up his game), or he will retire with 31 of his 36 million paid out to him.

Benning structured Eriksson’s contract in this way on purpose. It’s modern day cap circumvention and It’s pure genuis.

Having said that, I will have to admit that Eriksson has been a dud while he’s been here. Even the harshest of Eriksson’s critics wouldn’t have predicted Eriksson being this bad. Most would have pegged Eriksson having at least 3 very solid years for us (which is what Benning likely predicted as well).

You win a few.......you lose a few. No GM bats 1.000.
Eriksson is owed 4 million for each of his last 2 years thats 8.So no he won't retire,. You hav posted this before, get your facts straight
He has a signing bonus in year 5 , maybe we can trade him after that is that what you mean?

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
No GM drafts 1.000 dude.

Time will tell if Benning screwed the pooch with his selections of Virtanen and Juolevi (I’ll omit the McCann pick because most picks around that pick are dice-rolls), but Benning’s selections of Boeser and Pettersson look like absolute gems (again, too early for a prognosis, time will tell).

Even guys like Demko, Tryamkin, Lind, etc., look like absolute steals relative to where they were drafted (again, time will tell).

For the most part, Benning seems to have done an excellent job of rebuilding the prospect pool.

Outside of the Eriksson deal (which is a closet 4 year deal not 6 year deal) and the Forsling trade, I can’t see any major mistakes that Benning has made. People talk about Linden Vey, Erik Gudbranson, and Brandon Prust, etc., but all of those deals were extremely minor and the trading partner didn’t benefit from those deals either.

Time has passed Ehlers and Nylander are 3 times the players Virtanen is, they are first line talents on elite teams Virtanen is 4th liner on a bottom team. Tkachuk is a top 6 winger on a playoff-team, Joulevi better take great leap and become a top pairing d-man or thats another bad pick.

Last edited:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
"3 times"
I see you're being generous for the sake of argument

The worst part is Virtanen is supposed to be a physical player. That's what was supposed to set him apart from those two and he can't throw a hit. He doesn't agitate. I've never seen him facewash a player in a scrum. He should be embarrassed. Did anyone even notice him tonight? I saw him skating with the Sedins at some point and promptly forgot he existed.

Last edited:

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
No GM drafts 1.000 dude.

The mental gymnastics for every post like this in this thread :help:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Really not sure how people can blame goaltending in this one with a straight face. “Oh 4 goals against..must be goaltending!”

The Canucks blueline played like they were a soccer team or something. Not worrying about the Oilers behind them because that guy must be offside. The only reason they were able to tie the game and get back in was because of Markstrom. Once they did they still kept on giving up great chances. The last half dozen games Markstrom has been good.

You know what isn’t good? The 18 guys Benning assembled to play in front of him. That is what isn’t good....well no matter how you see Markstrom of late the skaters in front are much worse. Especially that great blueline. Pouliot, Del Zotto and Gudbranson(I know he didn’t play) are the big acquisitions the last 2 summers and they are just dreadful.

Virtanen has regressed the last month. Scary proposition as he was barely a 4th liner to begin with. He won’t be sent down as they will not admit they blew that pick. They may, however, trade him for a D-man in a similar situation and try to pass it off as dealing from strength to rebalance the club.

The team is as healthy as any other. They need to have another stretch run like last year when healthy just to hammer the point home that this has nothing to do with injury and everything to do with the guys in charge.

Last edited:

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Edler was brutal defensively. Only made one good play on the 2-on-1's he faced. Just simply doesn't have a high hockey IQ.

The Stecher pinches were horrible as well. This defense is one of the weakest groups I can ever remember watching.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
One of the more underrated guys on Edmonton I quite like is Jujar Khaira. Big body and speed and he uses both of those well. Nice set of mits he has, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad