Post-Game Talk: 1/20/18 | Canucks 2 @ Oilers 5

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley

Ed Willes: Bo's return may show if Canucks closer to glory than crisis

jbmzQ2i.jpg

EDMONTON — It seems long ago and far away but, before they were so rudely interrupted, the Vancouver Canucks had created a guarded sense of optimism about their season.

Remember? Back in early December, they were four games over .500 and above the NHL playoff bar. Along the way they’d created a team identity and style of play based on four lines and three defensive pairings that pushed the pace and were competitive almost every night.

More

Keep tank talk to the tank thread please

CBC Sports has free Hockey Day in Canada games on desktop, app | CBC Sports

Last edited:
Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I know we're in a tank race with the Edmonton these days, but every victory over Oilers is, well, a victory over the Oilers... and therefore, intrinsically, a good thing. I don't care if an Oiler victory could save the world from ending, I'd still root for a Canucks win.

5-1 Canucks

Boeser (x2), Vanek, Jake and Hank

Last edited:

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
If the Canucks had kept up their play after that 3 game winning streak that got them to 14-10-4 before Horvat went down they would have been on pace to... miss the playoffs. Being over .500 means nothing in this league.

If they can return to that pace over their final 37 they will finish with 84 points. 18-13-6. The current playoff pace is 98. 11th is on pace for 92.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Hard to believe how flat the Oilers have fallen this season after last spring. That they are only 1 point ahead of us in the standings while being lead by Connor McDavid is astounding.

If Horvat comes back tonight, I think we win. If he doesn't, I think we lose. Either way, hope Boeser bulges the twine multiple times.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Hard to believe how flat the Oilers have fallen this season after last spring. That they are only 1 point ahead of us in the standings while being lead by Connor McDavid is astounding.
It's important but you need more than just drafting in a rebuild. In the Oilers case, you can't just rely on high 1st round picks (AND being lucky in getting a legit 1st line forward).

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

If Horvat comes back tonight, I think we win. If he doesn't, I think we lose. Either way, hope Boeser bulges the twine multiple times.

Should be a lesson to people who think that drafting Boeser and pettersson is enough to turn us around.

Won't be though.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
So if I'm understanding correctly, we can activate Horvat tonight and put chaput on non-active to be waived tomorrow?

Yes, although I am not sure why it is important. When Horvat is ready, Chaput will be waived to make room. Waivers are always noon-to-noon (ET) so it will be Sunday or Monday.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Horvat probably won't be in tonight..but definitely looking forward to watching some decent hockey with a more or less healthy lineup...Probably not good news for the tank,but we shall see..

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Really hard to believe...Even though they are top heavy (talent/salary wise)..I cannot put my finger on why they have horribly underachieved.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Horvat and Baerstschi have finished bottom 3 more times than Draisaitl and McDavid...

It's about the team as a whole. Look at all the high end draft picks that have failed to lift that team out of the perpetual tank, it's mind boggling. That's what a decade of tanking does.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
It's hilarious that anyone thinks the Oilers have been tanking since 2012, they've clearly tried to make moves to make their team better but failed due to incompetent management, that's not tanking. It's similar to what we've been doing the past 3 years, actually.

Reactions: PM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad