1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. NINE! Oilers lose 4-3 in OT

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Scrivens has a history with Eakins, I think that he's pissed that the team hasn't bought what Dallas is selling or that Dallas is not holding some of the guys accountable.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Man that Eberle giveaway that led to the first St Louis goal was ugly. The guy simply has no hockey IQ.

I think it's one of a few options regarding Eberle:

1. He's just become content with playing like garbage.
2. The NHL has figured out his "play-cute first, shoot second," mentality
3. He realized he's made his money and there's nothing in his way so.. (look at #1.)
4. He legitimately sucks now.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I think it's one of a few options regarding Eberle:

1. He's just become content with playing like garbage.
2. The NHL has figured out his "play-cute first, shoot second," mentality
3. He realized he's made his money and there's nothing in his way so.. (look at #1.)
4. He legitimately sucks now.

I don't know why he stopped shooting, it seems like he only shoots when it is a grade A scoring opportunity now. I think I seen him pass up 3 easy shots on net tonight that would of been atleast B quality chances to score, even if he's lost some confidence in his shot his release and accuracy gives goaltenders enough problems to potentially create a good rebound chance.

vincent1999

May 5, 2014
Sorry man, two weak goals from the blue line. I don't care how many 5 alarm saves he made. You can't Salo it up twice a game every game.:shakehead

Scrivens played well most of the night. The OT goal, actually I don't fault Schultz as he cut Tarasenko off the center of the ice, and Tara made a deft outside cut and then let a quick shot go. But .... a professional goalie should stop that .... I mean it was a wrister from outside the top of the circle. Probably the quickest with which Tara made his move and then released the puck caught Scrivens a little out of position in the net, a little too deep in the net, and not quite set. Too bad Scrivens wasn't a little more alert on the play .... but late late in OT and after almost 65 minutes, but .... I'm sure if you asked Scrivens, he would say that Tara's shot is one that he has to make, and maybe even one that he really should make.

But ... overall the team wasn't embarrassed tonight. The Blues are a top top team, and they were well rested and the Oilers were playing their 3rd game in 4 nights, and the Blues are a big, hard team to play. And the shots on goal in the 3rd period were a bit deceiving, and the play wasn't that lopsided like it was in the first, and of course, the 2nd was pretty much a draw in terms of quality chances for each side.

And didn't like the new rule change where a defender can dive out and clearly clear the puck off a stick and then incidentally take the player's legs out and it's a penalty. I think Fayne made a good play ... too bad the rules interpret it differently .... maybe something for the GM's to reconsider.

vincent1999

May 5, 2014
The lack of effort on Hall's part on the tying goal was just disgusting. He lost the puck to his man and coasted off towards the bench when Perron was further down in the O zone, skates all the way back to check the guy. There's issues with the core as well, Hall just thinks he can play at 1 end.

yah, Hall's game tonight was a bit of a strange monkey. Made a couple of great plays to set two goals. But was caught on some lazy ass changes that led to goals or grade A scoring chances, and there was the mix-up between him and Perron inside the offensive zone, and then his RW buddy Eberle coughed up a side wall puck that also led to a goal.

really, the supposed #1 line and the top players need to play well everywhere on the ice and not just in the offensive zone.

so, actually, I'm thinking that overall tonight the defensemen as a group had quite a decent outing. Sure a bad giveaway by Nikitin on one play, and the Oilers got hemmed in badly some other times, but that will happen against good players and teams. But, the top line guys were the inconsistent group tonight, and when that happens, teams usually lose.

In terms of defense, Fayne is the best Oiler d-man this year. And both Marincin and Klefbom look like they are going to turn out to be quality players. And the rest, well, just a lot of inconsistency in terms of good and bad play.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011

Well clearly I'm not the only one who hates that "talk about..." style of conducting an interview. It's stupid, it's lazy and it's ****ing annoying. Leading questions where the interviewer is just flat out not doing his/her job.

Scrivens was angry. I like that. Perron as well.

And the Oilers spin doctors trotted out The Great One to tell us all how MacT and Lowe hated losing as players. How reassuring.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Well clearly I'm not the only one who hates that "talk about..." style of conducting an interview. It's stupid, it's lazy and it's ****ing annoying. Leading questions where the interviewer is just flat out not doing his/her job.

Scrivens was angry. I like that. Perron as well.

And the Oilers spin doctors trotted out The Great One to tell us all how MacT and Lowe hated losing as players. How reassuring.

There is no doubt that as players MacT and Lowe hated to lose. I also believe that they still do. But they also have to look in the mirror and realise that they are hugely responsible for each loss. Even if it is coaching or players who are at fault. They put them there and they ultimately are responsible for the failure.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
There is no doubt that as players MacT and Lowe hated to lose. I also believe that they still do. But they also have to look in the mirror and realise that they are hugely responsible for each loss. Even if it is coaching or players who are at fault. They put them there and they ultimately are responsible for the failure.

Oh I'm certain they hate losing. I also think they are stubborn and think too highly of themselves and their ability to run a hockey team. So them looking in the mirror and seeing anything else other than six rings and a helmetless face is something I doubt will ever happen.
If someone put me in the NHL I would hate losing as well, that wouldn't really help since I would suck in an embarrassing way and thus hurt my team severly.

It's about results, I couldn't care less if someone was fine with losing as long as whatever they do still leads to victories. Making a point of Lowe and MacT not enjoying losses as players is kinda pointless. They were good hockey players. They are not good at what they do right now.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Eberle giveaway?

Yeah, Hall was the one giving the puck away in the o-zone with a soft low percentage play instead of getting the puck on net in a situation where they both are gassed so they can't get back in time, instead they make sure they're off the ice and avoids a minus. Same thing on the 3-3 goal, sure it's a rough pass but in that situation you get the puck deep or out of bounds or whatever, your team is up a goal with 5 minutes left, take a penalty if you need to, the PK has been excellent so it's an ok bet. This team and its stars needs to start doing whatever it takes to win. Furbo-style.

Eberle was the one giving away the puck on the second goal. After Petry decides to hold on the puck and get hit in the numbers by Backes instead of making an easy pass to Klefbom behind the goal. Oh well.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
It's funny how excited the Blues, their fans, and their announcers were after they won the game. Like beating a 30th place team should make you that happy.

The Blues should've blown us out. Not impressed.

You want to see excitment, wait till the oilers win there next game. It will make the blues celebration look like a wake.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Scrivens played well most of the night. The OT goal, actually I don't fault Schultz as he cut Tarasenko off the center of the ice, and Tara made a deft outside cut and then let a quick shot go. But .... a professional goalie should stop that .... I mean it was a wrister from outside the top of the circle. Probably the quickest with which Tara made his move and then released the puck caught Scrivens a little out of position in the net, a little too deep in the net, and not quite set. Too bad Scrivens wasn't a little more alert on the play .... but late late in OT and after almost 65 minutes, but .... I'm sure if you asked Scrivens, he would say that Tara's shot is one that he has to make, and maybe even one that he really should make.

But ... overall the team wasn't embarrassed tonight. The Blues are a top top team, and they were well rested and the Oilers were playing their 3rd game in 4 nights, and the Blues are a big, hard team to play. And the shots on goal in the 3rd period were a bit deceiving, and the play wasn't that lopsided like it was in the first, and of course, the 2nd was pretty much a draw in terms of quality chances for each side.

And didn't like the new rule change where a defender can dive out and clearly clear the puck off a stick and then incidentally take the player's legs out and it's a penalty. I think Fayne made a good play ... too bad the rules interpret it differently .... maybe something for the GM's to reconsider.

Yes they were. They played OK in the second, but that was more the Blues letting up after running the Oil over in the 1st. The Blues schooled them in the 1st, 3rd and OT.

The scoring chances were 26-6 Blues and I think that is conservative on the Blues side. I figured more like 30.

They suck.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,

Im sure Wayne Gretzky hated to lose too, but what you do playing wise does not always translate to success in coaching and management, ask Wayne that. Mact and Lowe can only be judged by results. K-lowe has been around too long, and should have been turfed years ago, while mact has been GM less than 2 years, he has made the team no better, as outside perron, he has made 0 moves that has helped the team. but he cant be blamed for the poor drafting from 2008-2012

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Blues fan in peace. I just wanted to say that I'm impressed with how much activity there is on your GDT and forum when the team is generating this much frustration. True hockey fans. I hope you get something to indicate a sea change soon.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
Where the hell is the avatar bet that was on for the St. Louis game!!! :rant:

(Just curious to track down the losing avatar and wanted to keep the rant theme going.)

Anyone? :rant:

Edit: wrong thread. D'oh.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad