GDT: 1/2/24 - 8:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Winnipeg

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I don't think it's an effort thing. I think this is what we are, sadly
Agreed. Tampa just isn't a good hockey team anymore.

A better system/scheme could improve them. So could better signings, but this team as it stands now isn't a good hockey team and realistically won't make the playoffs, not bad enough to draft top 10, not good enough to make a wildcard spot

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Problem is if we trade cirell means we are starting a rebuild. Then do kucherov, point want to be apart of a rebuild or
Do they ask to be traded?

Basically if you trade cirell you let Stamkos walk and you need two forwards and two good defenseman but you would have like 18 million in cap space to sign and fill the roster .
But JBB track record of free agents stinks see Conor sheAry

Reactions: Outl4w

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
If people don't think this is personnel I don't know what to tell you. Structure and coaching can be part of it, but these dudes suck. Plain and simple. The breakout is nonexistent, entries are lousy, and the backend is pathetic. The defense is a given because it's Hedman and a bunch of tweeners at the moment, but the forwards are rough to watch. We have an offense mightily carried by Kucherov and anything he touches. If it wasn't for him, we'd be a lottery team.

This feels a lot like the year we moved Bishop, Boyle, etc. The forward group is incredibly vanilla and one dimensional. Bunch of grinders, tweeners and two way guys with the hockey IQ of a donkey. Complete opposite of what we used to have and the luxuries four lines deep. The leadership AND talent has been depleted. Not sure we make playoffs at all this year. Sucks and it is what it is, but the reality is, this group is not good enough.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Problem is if we trade cirell means we are starting a rebuild. Then do kucherov, point want to be apart of a rebuild or

Basically if you trade cirell you let Stamkos walk and you need two forwards and two good defenseman but you would have like 18 million in cap space to sign and fill the roster .
Nah, trading Cirelli wouldn't mean a rebuild. Stamkos is likely to.re-sign, and if JBB either was moving Cirelli for a clear top 4 dman at comparable or cheaper cap hit, then they would use the 3-4 million on a F. Regardless of what moves they make, there will be several signings or roster players making 1 million or less next season. Most of those players will be 4th liners and a 6/7 dman, so it's not a huge deal.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto

A retool is possible while keeping the core 5. We're not 1 player away from being a playoff team again, but, you clear cap to sign 2 legit nhl defenseman, one being a legit #2 option and that greatly improves the team (so long as they aren't running the same system)

Reactions: Stammertime91

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I sort of agree but the thing thats got me confused is that the entire team started playing like this all at once.

Which makes me think its more of a system thing than an effort thing. Or it could be both, but I don't see guys like Point putting in the same effort we're used to.

Coaching is certainly part of it I'm sure

Reactions: Outl4w

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Agreed. Tampa just isn't a good hockey team anymore.

A better system/scheme could improve them. So could better signings, but this team as it stands now isn't a good hockey team and realistically won't make the playoffs, not bad enough to draft top 10, not good enough to make a wildcard spot

I think talent wise we are a wild card team, although we are obviously underachieving to that end.

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
They seem to collapse the D-zone a lot, happened right before the first 2 Jets goals. Not sure if they’ve done this the previous seasons, I can’t recall seeing it this much at least.

58D013EC-7378-4098-B1B6-84EA80F31007.png

B4B2D7E7-DE1F-4D22-A354-F3B332804909.png

A couple of issues with this in my opinion:

1) It leaves the D open for long shots while also creating high traffic in front of the crease and if this is Vasy’s weakness and if the opposing team knows it, it’s a recipe for disaster…

2) Our skaters seem to puck watch and lose their men constantly amidst all the chaos. See the second picture, 5 Bolts against 3 Jets in front if the goal and somehow #9 is left all alone and of course the puck finds it’s way onto his stick and in the back of our net.

Last edited:

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
They seem to collapse the D-zone a lot, happened right before the first 2 Jets goals. Not sure if they’ve done this the previous seasons, I can’t recall seeing it this much at least.

View attachment 794972

View attachment 794976

A couple of issues with this in my opinion:

1) It leaves the D open for long shots while also creating high traffic in front of the crease and if this is Vasy’s weakness and if the opposing team knows it, it’s a recipe for disaster…

2) Our skaters seem to puck watch and lose their men constantly amidst all the chaos. See the second picture, 5 Bolts against 3 Jets in front if the goal and somehow #9 is left all alone and of course the puck finds it’s way onto his stick and in the back of our net.
They play 3 men deep at all times and then 2 more near the hash marks. This has been the system all season, it doesn't work for the team. It works for a team like Vegas, but ours suck.

Tampa22

Eternally grateful TBL enforcers!
Oct 11, 2010
Buenos Aires, Argentina
We don't play bad at all but the team looks lost like 70% of the games, so confused, even our veterans players making costing mistakes. I can't see making the playoffs and will be a big disappointment. Also, don't think we make a big acquisition, guess the GM will wait for off-season. The only player who save the season is Kucherov and I see only one who can get the ok status and is Watson, nobody expect nothing from him and play 5/6 minutes per night and score a couple of goals and make less money than other on the roster.
From last night game, I can't understand what Cooper think or sees from a D. I was watching the stats of Myers and he's a young man, strong and ready to clear the zone, making only 1.4 millions and he reminds me about Schenn and Bogo, both not liked by the coaching staff (based on time on ice and the amount of scratched games) and instead put a player like Perbix, afraid to hit, afraid to be physical with lot of mistakes and you see his face and is the last player to intimidate in the team. Myers play acceptable his 11 games last season and is in the minors but here keep investing time in Perbix/De Hann/Raddysh/Fleury experiment...
What can I say more than what I read from others users, Sheary and ABB were a complete disaster all the season and if I was the GM look for a trade, release or something to don't see them anymore with the Lightning uniform, and will try to give a rotation to some young guys from the minors to see what is capable to play next season.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
They play 3 men deep at all times and then 2 more near the hash marks. This has been the system all season, it doesn't work for the team. It works for a team like Vegas, but ours suck.
I'm guessing Vegas used this system more than one season before they won the cup? I'm not trying to be snarky with you, my point is if your team is at the end of its window, probably not a good idea to go to a completely new defensive scheme. All our best defensemen from last year have looked bad this year in our zone - Hedman, Cernak, Perbix, Sergachev.

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
Cooper hates Kuch or is there another reason why he put him on a line with Stamkos and Cirelli? Just go with Hagel-Point-Kuch and maybe Hagel will score again

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Cooper hates Kuch or is there another reason why he put him on a line with Stamkos and Cirelli? Just go with Hagel-Point-Kuch and maybe Hagel will score again
It seems to be the sole purpose of the team now to prove Cirelli is a top six 6 forward who deserves the contract JBB gave him. Everything else is secondary.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I'm guessing Vegas used this system more than one season before they won the cup? I'm not trying to be snarky with you, my point is if your team is at the end of its window, probably not a good idea to go to a completely new defensive scheme. All our best defensemen from last year have looked bad this year in our zone - Hedman, Cernak, Perbix, Sergachev.
I don't disagree with you. Blashill and the Coaching staff are trying to do a square peg in a round hole. We are not big enough or defensively smart enough to pull off this kind of system. Our forwards are on the smaller side, so this system just doesn't work for us. One of our biggest strengths is quick breakouts, but the current system prevents that quick breakout. Its why someone like Point looks much worse this year. He's starting to skate from so deep and by the time they get to the blue line, the defensive team has already clogged the neutral zone. Its like we are always on the penalty kill.

I feel like I am idiot, because I don't see what the coaching staff is seeing. Its like I am losing my mind seeing the most simple thing but the people getting paid millions can't.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
It's f***ing stupid to handicap your team from the get go by dressing only five defensemen.

Great job by Vasy on that third goal. He's definitely been worth the 9.5 million dollars this season.

Bottom six is absolutely useless, Stamkos does nothing 5 on 5, Cirelli is Cirelli and Point hasn't been very good despite being PPG. Hagel can't buy a goal. Kucherov carries the team as much as he can but he's only one guy.

The team is going no where. If they by some miracle sneak in to the playoffs, it's five games max. I'd rather look into trading some of the overpaid players but I know that's wishful thinking and we're probably just doing nothing like the team on the ice.

Reactions: OffBy1

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
It's f***ing stupid to handicap your team from the get go by dressing only five defensemen.

Great job by Vasy on that third goal. He's definitely been worth the 9.5 million dollars this season.

Bottom six is absolutely useless, Stamkos does nothing 5 on 5, Cirelli is Cirelli and Point hasn't been very good despite being PPG. Hagel can't buy a goal. Kucherov carries the team as much as he can but he's only one guy.

The team is going no where. If they by some miracle sneak in to the playoffs, it's five games max. I'd rather look into trading some of the overpaid players but I know that's wishful thinking and we're probably just doing nothing like the team on the ice.
Wish the Lightning had prospects ready to go like the Predators did last year. Nashville was able to trade Ekholm, Jeannot (lol), Niederreiter, & Granlund and elevated Novak, Glass, Evangelista, Tomasino, Parssinen into bigger/full time roles at the end of 2022-23 & they got pretty good results, almost snuck into the playoffs, and it breathed new life into a Predators franchise that had been stale for 3-4 years.

The Lightning equivalent would be trading Cirelli, Cernak, Sheary, & Motte and then bring up Goncalves, Groshev, Thompson, and then sign Duke &/or Howard at the end of their NCAA seasons.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Wish the Lightning had prospects ready to go like the Predators did last year. Nashville was able to trade Ekholm, Jeannot (lol), Niederreiter, & Granlund and elevated Novak, Glass, Evangelista, Tomasino, Parssinen into bigger/full time roles at the end of 2022-23 & they got pretty good results, almost snuck into the playoffs, and it breathed new life into a Predators franchise that had been stale for 3-4 years.

The Lightning equivalent would be trading Cirelli, Cernak, Sheary, & Motte and then bring up Goncalves, Groshev, Thompson, and then sign Duke &/or Howard at the end of their NCAA seasons.
I wish the same, but Merela beat won the competition for the open spot this year and you saw how his season went. He might develop into an NHL player one day, but he's not a difference maker now. I have hopes for Groshev and he had a hot streak earlier this year, but has since cooled off. Howard looks promising, but I imagine he's going to need a few years as he struggled at the college level last year.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I wish the same, but Merela beat won the competition for the open spot this year and you saw how his season went. He might develop into an NHL player one day, but he's not a difference maker now. I have hopes for Groshev and he had a hot streak earlier this year, but has since cooled off. Howard looks promising, but I imagine he's going to need a few years as he struggled at the college level last year.
The only reason Howard struggled last year is because he chose the wrong program in UMD, who is notoriously known for being upperclassmen heavy and grind first defensive hockey, the exact opposite of his game. Sure, there are things he needs to work on regardless, but put the struggles in the context of the program he was at. He didn't struggle because he sucks.

Additionally, Merela was unlikely to be a big time NHL producer because he really didn't start producing in Liiga (a mildly overrated European Pro league) until he was much older than all legitimate NHL prospects who play in Liiga.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
The only reason Howard struggled last year is because he chose the wrong program in UMD, who is notoriously known for being upperclassmen heavy and grind first defensive hockey, the exact opposite of his game. Sure, there are things he needs to work on regardless, but put the struggles in the context of the program he was at. He didn't struggle because he sucks.

Additionally, Merela was unlikely to be a big time NHL producer because he really didn't start producing in Liiga (a mildly overrated European Pro league) until he was much older than all legitimate NHL prospects who play in Liiga.
I'm glad to hear that about Howard, but I never meant to imply he sucks, I just think he's going to need a few years to be ready.

All that being true about Merela - none of our other prospects were able to beat him out for the job. And with Killorn's spot open there was room for a scoring line prospect to win it, but none did. Groshev's performance in the rookie tourny and camp was right behind Merela's in my opinion, so he's the guy my hopes are clinging to at the moment. He was skating with Walcott, who I don't believe is the most offensively skilled, but their line was working for a while.

Emil Lilleberg also looked pretty good in the tourny and in camp. He threw some big hits and made smart plays with the puck. He and Thompson seem like the best bets as far as I know on D down there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad