Post-Game Talk: 1/2/17 | Avs 2 @ Canucks 3 -- Yeah Bae-by Yeahhhh

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Sbisa has been okay but he hasn't been anything special. He's been a solid #6. Only reason Vegas would take him is if they are afraid they won't make the cap floor. Even then it's iffy. If I were them I'd take Rodin.

There are so many teams out there with bad contracts. If McPhee was smart, he'd pull a Chayka and trade his cap space for assets.

For example: They can easily get a Sbisa like d-man who is still a solid 3rd pairing guy in Stoner and force Anaheim to give up a pick in the process. The Ducks aren't in any cap trouble, but they are right up against the cap and over their internal budget. Clearing Stoner's 3.25M would be worth a decent pick to them.

So why exactly claim Sbisa when they can have one of Rodin/Gaunce/Granlund instead and not use up much cap space in order to facilitate more deals like say Stoner + a 2nd for a 5th.

Sbisa playing a non-trainwreck game now makes him "good". Not in my books.

He makes at least a boneheaded play 1/3 of the time he touches the puck. Or is even around the puck.

IMO His CF% is indicative of that. There isn't a big difference in his FF% meaning he hasn't been blocking shots out the wazoo.

To his credit his GA60 is good as is his GF60, but he has been sheltered most of the season (he has the 3rd highest ozone start %).

But as an illustration, let's take his 'good' stats and see who's around:

Sbisa GF60 2.30 GA60 2.09 1G-8A-9P CF% 46.2 Ozone 52.1% Salary $3.6M Age 26
Pesce GF60 2.54 GA60 2.13 1G-8A-9P CF% 55.4 Ozone 51.0% Salary $0.8M Age 22

I picked Pesce because he's also on a not-so-great team.

Well, how about say, Yannick Weber (this is in 11 minutes per game)?

Weber GF60 3.19 GA60 2.07 1G-3A-4P CF% 47.9 Ozone 55.0% Salary $0.6M Age 28

Like many other members of the Canucks, the problem is not the player really but the fact that Sbisa can't perform to the level of his paycheque.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
2 thoughts

as someone mentioned earlier, i would love to see Tryamkin in front of the net on the PP.

As far as exposing a D man, the obvious trade bait right now is Gudbranson. I suspect a team like Edm might give up a decent piece for someone to protect McJesus.

Sadly, Sbisa is playing well enough that we have a real issue protecting only 3 D.

Edler has a NTC, Tanev is basically out best D man right now. So its one of Gudbranson or Sbisa. Might as well get something for one of them.

Dugray

No Gifs This Time
Nov 22, 2006
Longueuil
My reaction when I woke up to this headline

NQ6J1mf.png

but-why.gif

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Pretty good game by the boys last night. I liked the puck pursuit by the team overall and I noticed Horvat on the back check once, so that's good. His "defence" in the last minute was really, really poor but they got away with it… so I guess that's good, too.

Nice play by Hutton on the Horvat goal and Baertschi has obviously been playing pretty well. It's nice to see the 3 most important players on the team to the Canuck's future contribute to a win.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Yes, he needs 38 more games to be eligible. There's 43 games left in the schedule. They'd need to sit him for 6 if they don't want him exposed.

Nothing will stop him from being eligible. He's already eligible. Your talking about him being a qualified player. Each team needs a certain number of players with the min games played.

Edit: van 22 said it better.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Another example of how winning cultures beat losing cultures even if they have more "talent"

Or this was just the case of two bad teams playing each other and one just had to lose.

And I would argue the Canucks have more "talent" anyway, especially on defense. Colorado's top-end forwards are a bit better than ours and that's about their only edge.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
These Canuck defensive pairings have been a revelation....Hutton is rejuvenated playing with Tryamkin....maybe his most complete game of the season...and Tanev is of immeasurable help to Sbisa on the zone exits.....Stecher/Edler very solid.

It would be comforting to think that the coach actually figured out these pairings, but knowing Willie, more likely he just sort of 'fell into them' once Gudbranson went down.

Have to chuckle about that dreadful last-minute giveaway by Erkisson.....basically bailed out by Miller....can you imagine if a guy like Rodin had committed a bonehead play like that?....he'd be riding the pine or the busses in Utica.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad