GDT: 1/19/13 "Raise The Banner" - Hurricanes VS Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2006
Note to all fans

Seats behind the benches at BB&T are all part of Club Red. For $16,500 you get a seat to every event at BB&T and access to the lounge/restaurant.

These will largely be corporate clients. Those seats will probably be empty more often than not as even when someone shows up, they'll probably spend much of the game at the restaurant/lounge.

This will of course make it look horrible on TV.

Yorkman. :shakehead

p9ers

May 11, 2011
Toronto
Seats behind the benches at BB&T are all part of Club Red. For $16,500 you get a seat to every event at BB&T and access to the lounge/restaurant.

These will largely be corporate clients. Those seats will probably be empty more often than not as even when someone shows up, they'll probably spend much of the game at the restaurant/lounge.

Should have choosed the other side.

Jan 19, 2006
Just got back from the game. Random thoughts...

1. Huberdeau is going to be so much fun to watch. We deserve it.

2. Did anyone else enjoy watching Huberdeau work Gretzky's office on the PP like a wiley veteran as much as I did?

3. Kovalev can stick handle in a phone booth. I don't care that he has bricks in his skates - he's dangerous enough to open space for #11. Hope he and Mueller can stay healthy.

4. Strachan had a very solid game. Would be great if he made things touch for Dineen when all the wounded return.

5. Love Hubs but Theo should have gotten first star. If he didn't stand up the way he did, that game could have easily slipped away in the second.

6. So glad they didn't have a ceremony to raise the division banner.

7. The 7th man stuff is ridiculous pandering. Does anyone actually like it?

8. The second line will not play like this all season. Need to get that first line back together and humming if we plan on making the playoffs.

9. I want to see more hitting out of that 4th line. Hope to see more physical play moving forward and looking forward to watching a larger Gudbranson unleashed on the NHL this year.

10. The drive home seems so much faster after wins....

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida

2. Did anyone else enjoy watching Huberdeau work Gretzky's office on the PP like a wiley veteran as much as I did?

3. Kovalev can stick handle in a phone booth. I don't care that he has bricks in his skates - he's dangerous enough to open space for #11. Hope he and Mueller can stay healthy.

4. Strachan had a very solid game. Would be great if he made things touch for Dineen when all the wounded return.

5. Love Hubs but Theo should have gotten first star. If he didn't stand up the way he did, that game could have easily slipped away in the second.

8. The second line will not play like this all season. Need to get that first line back together and humming if we plan on making the playoffs.

9. I want to see more hitting out of that 4th line. Hope to see more physical play moving forward and looking forward to watching a larger Gudbranson unleashed on the NHL this year.

I don't think it's that bad. It was cool seeing the players all wear "7th man" jerseys during warmups and the banner wasn't a huge thing either.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida

Agreed. I was expecting Theodore.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
277795_lalt.jpg

Like the new award for player of the game.

http://www.whosay.com/floridapanthers">Florida Panthers on WhoSay</a>

it's a hat, pimped by Hubs :)

it's a very old ploy in the soccer world, "the 12th man", used by many die hard club fans around the world, just doesn't seem to fit into hockey or American sports....but meh, it doesn't really bother me, just thought it was funny that they put up a banner for it lol

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
it's a hat, pimped by Hubs :)

it's a very old ploy in the soccer world, "the 12th man", used by many die hard club fans around the world, just doesn't seem to fit into hockey or American sports....but meh, it doesn't really bother me, just thought it was funny that they put up a banner for it lol

It's better than the Celine Dion one at least :)

Vilam

#Catlantic
Feb 8, 2012
San Francisco

That smiley sums it up perfectly. What poor planning. :shakehead

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Just finished watching the game.

Wow. Wow wow wow wow wow.

Now I'm not about to lose it and call us best in the East. We played well, but we also looked sloppy. Both teams did really.

We came out swinging though, a GREAT start to the season. A shot of confidence to Hubs, Kovalev, Mueller and even Upshall after a tough year last year.

Huberdeau is ridiculous. We haven't had a guy this dynamic on offense since Bure. He is the real deal. Kids going to have a wonderful career, hopefully entirely in our uniform.

Kovalev looked really good out there. As a guy who's pushing 40, his natural gift for offense is still there. Yah he's slow, but as someone pointed out, it's a nice contrast to Hubs and Mueller flying around the o-zone while he holds the anchor down. His vision is incredible.

Kuba looks terrible. My goodness he is slow. He could very easily be our worst defenseman this season. Let's just hope it's a conditioning thing.

Checking lines looked good. Good speed up the neutral zone (Matthias and Skille) and got pucks deep. Can't ask for much more.

I can say that I'm excited. I really want Goc, Bergy and Steeger back, as well as Kuli and Guds so we can see what this team has to offer. 3 full lines of offense now. I just hope injuries don't riddle us.

Let's carry this momentum into Monday night and keep these winning games going.

NicoSB

Sep 18, 2012
I just watched the condensed game and Huberdeau seemed to perform very well. I'm very excited on his future, he probably might go far :)

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Good win.

One thing: I HATE that people are tossing rats on the ice after a regular season win. It's a playoff tradition!!

And yes that picture is take right after a start of a period, but seemed like some people left after the 1st period when we were up 4-0:shakehead Because it was packed in the 1st.

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Good win.

One thing: I HATE that people are tossing rats on the ice after a regular season win. It's a playoff tradition!!

And yes that picture is take right after a start of a period, but seemed like some people left after the 1st period when we were up 4-0:shakehead Because it was packed in the 1st.

Um what? The tradition started in the regular season 95-96 and escalated through the playoffs. If the fans waited until the playoffs to throw rats, well a decade is a long time :p

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
I don't normally endorse arguing on the internet, but if any of you guys are on twitter... these guys need to be corrected.

BBBJWK0CAAAo63M.jpg

untitled_zpsc55b2a9c.png

I honestly don't understand the point of giving people those seats if they're just going to hang out in the lounge and watch the game from a tv . Thanks Yorkman

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I honestly don't understand the point of giving people those seats if they're just going to hang out in the lounge and watch the game from a tv . Thanks Yorkman

Yea, that's stupid.

But I guess for Yorkman, money from Club Red>Fans in seats.

Definite hockey man there....

CoolburnIsGone

I read thru the thread this morning to see what everyone was thinking about the game and had a few thoughts I wanted to share:

1. Ellerby didnt look as bad in person as you guys were saying. He seemed to have to cover for Kuba quite a bit (including having to take a penalty just to prevent a scoring chance because of Kuba's gaffe) and played a mostly simple, stable game. IMO, he played better than Kuba, Strachan & Caruso in that game.

2. I think you guys covered the Kovalev-Mueller-Huberdeau line enough so not much I will say there. But I did notice times where yes Huberdeau was in the middle of the ice instead of the left wing. Guess its just gonna be free flowing some about where he plays at times.

3. Defense left Theo out to dry quite a few times. I know its not our normal defense but the team as a whole should've been better about helping him out. Theo definitely had an awesome night and so long as we can get him some rest throughout this yr, I think we will definitely be fine in goal.

4. While the top line didnt score, I noticed some good defensive play from them several times which is significant too. If you keep the other team's dangerous top line with 2 guys that can score at will (Eric Staal & Alex Semin) off the scoresheet, thats just as good as scoring yourself. I saw several takeaways by Weiss and he won 55% of his faceoffs so we kept control of the puck that way.

5. Coming into the arena, was anyone else annoyed how they were scanning the tickets inside instead of at the door? It seemed like a big cluster ******* doing it that way instead of the old way. It didnt save on employees and didnt save on time and wasnt better for safety. I'm definitely planning to say something to Viner about that one.

6. Matthias & Mueller kinda suck at the faceoff. Definitely feel like both would be better as wingers for sure. I knew what Colorado fans said about Mueller as center so I guess that is what they meant. But I liked the way Matthias played last night and was consistent on pressuring the puck carrier for the Canes (whoever it was).

7. Club Red...it took forever for that area to fill up but was mostly filled by game time. Later, yes it didnt look good with how many seats down low were empty. I know the team has said they've only technically sold like 50% of the Club Red seats so guess its gonna look like that most nights. I did see quite a few people sitting at like bar stools above the seats so they were still watching the game, just not in the seats. I did that at a Marlins game this past yr sitting in the 200 level, was just easier to get food & drinks throughout the game than sitting in my seat and the view was just as good. I'm gonna see if I can get a game in Club Red from work and see what its like and whether what we all assume is true (everyone just staying inside the lounge area) is actually true.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Good win.

No, it's always a been a throughout the whole season thing, not just playoffs.

Was a sloppy game, bit half the team isn't there and we still pulled out a win and chased Ward. I'm more than fine with plenty to improve on with a 5-1 win than a loss.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
No, it's always a been a throughout the whole season thing, not just playoffs.

Was a sloppy game, bit half the team isn't there and we still pulled out a win and chased Ward. I'm more than fine with plenty to improve on with a 5-1 win than a loss.

I suspected a couple of these observations. When they built a 4-0 lead in the 1st, I expected some garbage time sloppiness to follow. It was great to start hot, and of course CAR would press to get back into it. Theo, had other plans. I'm ok with this, especially with the team we were icing. There was a big drop off with our defensemen.

Rats96Yo

Oct 17, 2006
Coral Springs
Ugh, it never ends. People are just obsessed with South Florida sports attendance for some reason. Of course they got it all wrong by the way, as usual.

Even the mighty Yankees had a problem filling the prime seats behind the plate and how they looked on TV when their new stadium opened. Gee are they just not a baseball town? Of course Yormark didnt learn anything from that. Thats why im so anti Club Red, another shameless Yormark money grab.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
I read thru the thread this morning to see what everyone was thinking about the game and had a few thoughts I wanted to share:

4. While the top line didnt score, I noticed some good defensive play from them several times which is significant too. If you keep the other team's dangerous top line with 2 guys that can score at will (Eric Staal & Alex Semin) off the scoresheet, thats just as good as scoring yourself. I saw several takeaways by Weiss and he won 55% of his faceoffs so we kept control of the puck that way.

5. Coming into the arena, was anyone else annoyed how they were scanning the tickets inside instead of at the door? It seemed like a big cluster ******* doing it that way instead of the old way. It didnt save on employees and didnt save on time and wasnt better for safety. I'm definitely planning to say something to Viner about that.

Was at the game last night and that first period felt like one of the playoff games last year. Place was packed, even the upper bowl, and the crowd was electric!

Theo looked in mid-season form last night! He was at the top of his game. If he can continue to play like he did last night, and the defense improves, we can have a good season. :handclap:

Top line didn't score but the second line looked very good. I could not tell they had only a week of practice together. They seemed to have pretty good chemistry. This was only one game so we have to see how they progress.

The game slowed down, especially they went up 5-0, as it seemed like they were protecting the lead rather than attacking the net. That is why, imo, that the crowd began to drift out of the arena.

Concerning the ticket scanning inside the doors; my wife commented to me that she thought it may have been done this way due to the threat of rain. I guess we'll see on Thursday. My concern was the parking. It was crazy! Cars were parked all over the place, blocking the roadway! That plus the long backup due to the parking fee made for a stressful entrance and exit to and from the game.

All in all a great game! Big win against a division foe. Washington and Winnipeg both lost so the 2 points were even more important! Let's keep it going on Tuesday in Ottawa and then in the return home stand!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad