GDT: 1/17/19 - 7:30PM EDT - Toronto vs Tampa Bay

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
They've had this circled on their calendars since last game. Kadri's out making statements about how they need to play a "perfect game" to beat us. We'll likely have another sluggish start. I think this could end up like the Isles game if Vasy is borderline human.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Calgary's made up ground on 1st over all. The Atlantic is kind of crazy right now.

I think the Leafs probably get some revenge tonight. I don't think we want this one nearly as badly as they do. If we win, it doesn't prove anything. If they win, they get to believe they're on our level.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
We're cycling in three forwards to two spots (Callahan, Erne, and Joseph). It's two games in, one game out for each of them.

We're doing the same on D. Don't read into it.

Makes more sense on defense because they all play a lot. However, two 9 min games before getting scratched isn't enough to justify keeping Erne and Joseph up. Send one of them down for regular playing time. It's not like the Bolts need them win games right now.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I don't think we want this one nearly as badly as they do. If we win, it doesn't prove anything. If they win, they get to believe they're on our level.
I'm not sure I agree with this. I think our players are very much in tune to the rest of the league. They know how badly Toronto wants to win this game. I would think the Bolts would be motivated to "step on their throats" and try to let it get in the Leafs' heads.... Just like anyone, Lightning players have heard all of the hype surrounding the Leafs and are probably just as amped to win this game as the Toronto players are... at least that's what I hope.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm not sure I agree with this. I think our players are very much in tune to the rest of the league. They know how badly Toronto wants to win this game. I would think the Bolts would be motivated to "step on their throats" and try to let it get in the Leafs' heads.... Just like anyone, Lightning players have heard all of the hype surrounding the Leafs and are probably just as amped to win this game as the Toronto players are... at least that's what I hope.

I honestly don't think they're all that motivated to move 18 points ahead of the Leafs. I think TB knows they're the class of the East, at least in the regular season. Toronto has a lot more to prove than we do, same as last game. I expect the Leafs to come shot out of cannons in the 1st. We're a measuring stick for them, and they're not a measuring stick for us. We don't prove anything new with a win. They do.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Calgary's made up ground on 1st over all. The Atlantic is kind of crazy right now.

I think the Leafs probably get some revenge tonight. I don't think we want this one nearly as badly as they do. If we win, it doesn't prove anything. If they win, they get to believe they're on our level.

I feel like they would do that either way.

Reactions: berlin

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I honestly don't think they're all that motivated to move 18 points ahead of the Leafs. I think TB knows they're the class of the East, at least in the regular season. Toronto has a lot more to prove than we do, same as last game. I expect the Leafs to come shot out of cannons in the 1st. We're a measuring stick for them, and they're not a measuring stick for us. We don't prove anything new with a win. They do.
I understand your view on it and agree to an extent. I just think the players are aware of the hype Toronto has received and are probably more motivated for this game than most others in the regular season. Surely it's much easier to get jacked up to play Toronto than it is to play, say Arizona or Vancouver.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I understand your view on it and agree to an extent. I just think the players are aware of the hype Toronto has received and are probably more motivated for this game than most others in the regular season. Surely it's much easier to get jacked up to play Toronto than it is to play, say Arizona or Vancouver.

I thought that the last time they played the Leafs. But I think the reality is the target on our backs motivates other teams more than defending our position motivates us. And I'm fine with that. It's natural.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
They lost to us last time and some of their fans still thought they won. They're delusional. They played better than us for stretches but at that point they believed they were on our level. They arent. Win or lose tonight, it doesn't change anything for us and for them, they'll still be delusional.

Reactions: Hint1k and berlin

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I feel like they would do that either way.

haha, I think their fans do. But when you have Kadri saying they need a perfect game, and Babcock saying the Bolts are the best team in the league, it's hard not to believe they keep their sights on us.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Let's go :bolts!!!

Please don't suck!! :puppy:

Especially not against the Syrup Leaves. :P

Should be a fun one to be at! Won a Christmas raffle at work so will have MUCH better seats than my usual. :DD

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Friendly reminder lads/lasses, don't bad mouth the Leafs on the main boards. Refrain yourselves. I know its going to be hard to hold back making comments on how much better they are than us, but they don't like it. They are too humble to accept our praise.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Rick Peckham, best play by play man in the business, interviewed on Leafs Central at Noon today. Thoughtful an forthright as always. Worth a listen. RP starts at 10:25. Jan. 17: Leafs Need To Check Their Rearview Mirror Hockey Central @ Noon podcast

(Now if they could just find a color man who doesn't suck up all of his air time with endless explanations of simple plays and repetition of the words "brilliant" and "stuff").

Last edited:
Reactions: BeingTheThunder

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Need a good start! They will come out hard, this an opportunity for them to break the slump, so we better be ready and have full focus!

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Ehh lay back and see how it goes. No point in risking injuries in a meaningless regular season game. I see why we’re protecting Joseph this game.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
tenor.gif

Just snap your fingers and hang 9 on them Bolts. Please. I'm sick of them and the playoffs haven't even started yet.

Reactions: rangerrat

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
At the game waiting for warmups. LOTS of Leafs fans but I remind myself that all of them in the lower bowl bought resale tickets from STMs who will be paying for their playoff tickets with the $$. :naughty:

Have fun! I'm going to see what my record will be for getting banned on the main board.:arr:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad