GDT: 1/17/19 - 7:30PM EDT - Toronto vs Tampa Bay

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Thought we were the better team tonight but Toronto did a good job getting their sticks in a lot of our dangerous chances and their goalie was quite good. Could have gone either way honestly, just like the first one.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Toronto is a good team. They needed a win and got one. We are ahead by so much it really didn't matter. I still liked our hustle. It would be a really fun series if they got together in the playoffs. Lots of back and forth and I'm sure it would be fun to get into it with their fans. I like our chances vs them but they could beat us. I think the Leafs, Caps, and Pens have the best chance to beat us. Bruins I don't think they have the depth. But they could beat Toronto again I think. Should be another fun playoffs.

Pens have no depth. We should destroy them.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Eh. Andersen played well, but lets not pretend he was a world beater. The constant one-timers to Stamkos were very predictable, and our chances in the 3rd, it just wasn't meant to be. We got some pretty good looks, but they were either wide, or we didn't take Andersen's eyes away from him well enough. Not like he was coming up with otherwordly saves.

Plus we didn't have Johnson for the chunk of the game where we were dominating.

Heddy and Stammer have no excuse to quit on the play on the empty net. You play to the whistle, not what you think. Believe they teach you that in peewee.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Eh. Andersen played well, but lets not pretend he was a world beater. The constant one-timers to Stamkos were very predictable, and our chances in the 3rd, it just wasn't meant to be. We got some pretty good looks, but they were either wide, or we didn't take Andersen's eyes away from him well enough. Not like he was coming up with otherwordly saves.

Plus we didn't have Johnson for the chunk of the game where we were dominating.

Heddy and Stammer have no excuse to quit on the play on the empty net. You play to the whistle, not what you think. Believe they teach you that in peewee.

I thought a lot of our shots were not on target. Had they been we would have scored more. It happens though. We looked good on offense, just couldnt finish.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
One thing Ill say in relation to these two teams facing off is its going to be a different game now than it will in the playoffs. It wont be as open as it was last night, at least we wont be. We will clamp down defensively and it wont be as easy for them to get zone time. However the Leafs are that talented up front to where they can get zone time. A reason why I think they can beat us. However, I dont see their D being able to clamp down as well as we do. With that said, they could go get a top D at the deadline and be a little better at that and I think they will. Should be interesting to see what happens at the deadline.

It's also a 7 game series and they're gonna have to prove they can hold up to the level of physicality we bring. They might, for sure. I also think there's something to be said for motivation still. This was a bigger game for them than it was for us. I don't think TB players were coming into last night thinking we needed to play a perfect game. The Leafs had more to prove, and they did it.

Wouldn't be shocked if the Leafs lose to Florida tonight, now that not so much pride is on the line. They've been as susceptible to that kind of thing as we have been.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
if we get that many open looks dead on etc... pucks rolling etc.. id put us at 6 points per game against the leafs so yeah sucks we lost but in 7 lmfao ok then not toooo worried

and no toronto has a history of choking so do I believe they can even win one playoff series to face us????? NOPE

hopefully for them they dont tank like they have forever and miss the playoffs somehow id not count them as a lock for playoffs myself just saying

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
both stamkos and kucherov when got right wood hit it right in middle of anderson.

i mean hats off to anderson on last power play that was 100% him leafs did NOTHING was crazy but the rest? he didnt do all that much we were just a fraction off not hitting to corners etc.. so ya wateva we been in a little funk now shooting for a few games

so moving on karlsson missed practice today not sure if is mandatory or what

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Leafs brought their D- game to Sunrise. Shots are 13-4, nearing the end of the 1st.

Reactions: Rschmitz

lightningfanqc

Oct 30, 2009
Nordiques City
Stralman had troubles to keep up with the fast pace of the game, him and Girardi are now the weak links on TB Defense. Foote will be stepping up in the next seasons as a Right Hand d-man. Cernak needs to stay in, same for Sergachev, they need experience and ice time.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
Well, again that depends on who takes their place but whatever, considering the standings as they are today, you're probably right. I don't make a habit of visiting other teams boards so I'll go back to where I belong now. Good on you guys for being civil, at least compared to Boston fans, my gawd are those guys ever terrible. We'll see you guys again in March, and hopefully again in April. Good luck!
I like when strangers come by. I hate your fans in our building though

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Nylander benched for the 3rd, TO vs. Florida. Florida has controlled most of the game.

Just saying. The Leafs were amped to play us last night, probably more than the other way around. It's natural.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
Stralman had troubles to keep up with the fast pace of the game, him and Girardi are now the weak links on TB Defense. Foote will be stepping up in the next seasons as a Right Hand d-man. Cernak needs to stay in, same for Sergachev, they need experience and ice time.
Stralman, Coburn, and Girardi should be the rotation taking games off imo.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
Nylander benched for the 3rd, TO vs. Florida. Florida has controlled most of the game.

Just saying. The Leafs were amped to play us last night, probably more than the other way around. It's natural.
The good ole adrenaline dump, the Habs are 1 point behind the Leafs now.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I don’t think Strals is playing as bad as you are saying

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I don’t think Strals is playing as bad as you are saying

Stråls had one of his best games this season vs Dallas and, as Macho pointed out, Sergy and Stråls were less to blame on the 2 GA they were on ice for than the forwards who forgot to play team defense. Yes, some of the Toronto forwards were faster (no duh) but he was still able to force them to the outside.

Mac had some problems with speed too these last few games.

We'll see what happens after everyone gets a rest over their break.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Interesting comment considering Vasilevsky's performance against the Leafs a month ago. Watch more Leafs games, they are much, much more than Andersen. That being said, Tampa is clearly the most complete team in the league. Anything can happen in the playoffs though this isn't the NBA

Without Andersen, I really doubt the team would be in the position they are. Trust us, trying to out score your opponents 5-4 every game is unreasonable.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Without Andersen, I really doubt the team would be in the position they are. Trust us, trying to out score your opponents 5-4 every game is unreasonable.
bottom line pulled stats up on where they are allowing shots from legit scoring chances and andersons stats bottom line is same thing we did a few years back before the epic toronto crash. Those stats were shooting percentage of their players.... this one is the opposite defense basically and these stats are not atteniable or however you spell this word lol in the long run.... over time he will come back to earth if they keep giving up such glorious chances and id not be super surprised for a tank this second half

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad