GDT: 1/17/19 - 7:30PM EDT - Toronto vs Tampa Bay

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Oh well... it is what it is... that team still does not scare me. Benefit of some great goaltending and crazy bounces. Kadri is a little too Brad Marchand with his edge of being dirty play. Wouldn't mind seeing someone make his a$$ eat a little glass.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Vassy stone cold stole game one. Yeah, Anderson was great but I thought Toronto matched the Lightning pretty well overall.

The Leafs would be a handful in the playoffs. For one thing, the fourth line looks like one against this team. I’d prefer the Bruins in round 2.

As entertaining as a Leafs series would be......it would be scary
Agreed. People should give the Leafs more credit. They're pretty damn close, if not just as good as us.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
We really need to do something about the third line. Feel like they're always stuck in their own zone nowadays.

tokyoite

I changed my name from "nipponjin" last summer.
Feb 22, 2015
Tokyo metropolitan area JPN
I'm sure I'll get crapped on for this but I think Toronto is just as good as us. I would not want to see them in the playoffs cause Babcock has outcoached Coop many times before but now he has the talent to win.

leafs fan here in peace.
your coach is way better than babcock.
mike B. is stubborn and stupid.

Reactions: Randy Randerson

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Think he was getting a lot more credit from Engbloom and Peckam than he really deserved. Most of his saves were shots that were right into his mid-section. Better shot placement by our big guns and this would have been an entirely different story.
Yeah we weren't placing shots really well. One-timers aren't dangerous if they're to the middle of the net. Stamkos' shot was a bit off all night (but at the same time I'm glad he was shooting it) and Kucherov didn't really have any dangerous shots himself.

Doesn't mean I'm not going to talk shit though.

Reactions: Hit The Lights

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Stamkos had 10 shots on goal & 6 more blocked. Plenty of them came from his office too.
Yeah he shot a lot, but they just weren't placed where you would normally expect. He missed one of the most glorious chances high.

I mean - it was a fine effort. Don't really have any issues with the game. I thought Vasi was mortal (didn't like the Marleau goal at all), but at the same time I don't think the Leafs generated much either. Except for a couple of shifts where we were going back and forth up the ice, both teams played a pretty tight game defensively.

harpman

Dec 23, 2018
Tampa Bay
Anderson had a Vasi kinda night when they needed it. Tough to lose one but with only 10 losses we’ve been spoiled. We’ll bounce back. Nobody’s gonna roll over for us down the stretch.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Thought Toronto forwards were pretty dangerous and they played us well.
Honestly? The players that impressed me were Kapanen and Tavares. I thought Marner wasn't super effective. Matthews was largely invisible. Nylander couldn't hit the net if there was 6.9 million dollars sitting in it.

If the Leafs trade Kapanen they're f***ing stupid, because that kid's a gamer. He's the guy you can take into the playoffs and win with. He's the anti-Nylander. But their second line and third lines (or 1st and 3rd, don't know how they distribute ice time) were pretty good.

I saw the scoring chance stats and I'm scratching my head though. I don't recall a ton of great chances for the Leafs outside of their goals. Kapanen had that great chance in the first. There was a good scramble in the third. But other than that - can you think of a single tough save Vasi had to make? That's why I hate those stats - they rate based on where the shots come from but they don't actually look at whether the shot itself was dangerous.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Think he was getting a lot more credit from Engbloom and Peckam than he really deserved. Most of his saves were shots that were right into his mid-section. Better shot placement by our big guns and this would have been an entirely different story.

Don't underestimate positioning. A lot of those saves on Stamkos were not easy. He was getting over quick enough to absorb the puck, and cutting down angles. Andersen was excellent tonight.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Honestly? The players that impressed me were Kapanen and Tavares. I thought Marner wasn't super effective. Matthews was largely invisible. Nylander couldn't hit the net if there was 6.9 million dollars sitting in it.

If the Leafs trade Kapanen they're ****ing stupid, because that kid's a gamer. He's the guy you can take into the playoffs and win with. He's the anti-Nylander. But their second line and third lines (or 1st and 3rd, don't know how they distribute ice time) were pretty good.

I saw the scoring chance stats and I'm scratching my head though. I don't recall a ton of great chances for the Leafs outside of their goals. Kapanen had that great chance in the first. There was a good scramble in the third. But other than that - can you think of a single tough save Vasi had to make? That's why I hate those stats - they rate based on where the shots come from but they don't actually look at whether the shot itself was dangerous.

I liked the job Cernak did on Matthews all night. Cernak had a great game, IMO.

Credit to the Leafs. They won. But I think there was a lot to like about our individual performances, particularly Hedman, but also Cernak and Stamkos. If this version of Stammer shows up in the playoffs, we're gonna be a handful.

Reactions: JDBolt

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Don't underestimate positioning. A lot of those saves on Stamkos were not easy. He was getting over quick enough to absorb the puck, and cutting down angles. Andersen was excellent tonight.
Yeah this is a night where we needed a greasy goal and couldn't get one. It was tough to beat Andersen clean. Rebounds and redirects were the ticket (and he was popping some rebounds out).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad