GDT: 1/15/16 - 7:30PM EDT - Pittsburgh VS Tampa Bay

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
So I haven't been able to watch the games much lately, but is the Garrison-Sustr line as solid as it looks on paper the last few games? Right now that looks like a well spent 18-20 minutes per player, especially with Carle, Coburn and nesterov doing so little time wise.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
He didn't say anything about Drouin. He just said he liked the way Names has handled himself so far. Drouin will get his time with TB if we don't trade him.

I certainly hope it wasn't meant as a dig at Drouin because he's done it in the past and I hate it. I just really dislike the idea of a coach being so petty. That's not an attitude that will bring success to this team or foster an environment that players want to stay in.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I certainly hope it wasn't meant as a dig at Drouin because he's done it in the past and I hate it. I just really dislike the idea of a coach being so petty. That's not an attitude that will bring success to this team or foster an environment that players want to stay in.

Could you provide examples of when he has done it before? I've never seen it before. Thanks.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
So happy for Vladdy! He has worked very hard to earn a chance to play on the top line.
He is an awesome example of a player we drafted and developed into a great player.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Could you provide examples of when he has done it before? I've never seen it before. Thanks.

Not really since I'd have to search through all his pre- and post-game comments for like 100+ games. I will try to find something specific and get back to you though. But not making any promises.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Not really since I'd have to search through all his pre- and post-game comments for like 100+ games. I will try to find something specific and get back to you though. But not making any promises.

I would like to see it. I listen to his after game interviews sometimes and I've never heard him dig at a player like that. But if he did it wouldn't be cool. Players don't want to play for a guy like that. It doesn't matter what sport it is.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I would like to see it. I listen to his after game interviews sometimes and I've never heard him dig at a player like that. But if he did it wouldn't be cool. Players don't want to play for a guy like that. It doesn't matter what sport it is.

I'm still looking but I did find that one comment from him that I really hated from last year. Not really a subtle dig. More like direct and unwarranted criticism.

"Ultimately, it's my decision who goes in the lineup, and that's it," Cooper said Sunday when asked by Bleacher Report about not dressing Drouin. "It's talked about and then finally the decision is made, what are the 20 guys that we think are going to help us win tonight? Sometimes he's in that 20. Sometimes he's not. ...

"There is more than one net in a rink. There's two. So you have to be able to play in front of both of them. ...

"As we tell all our guys, it's professional hockey. You have to be a pro. If you're not in, be prepared because you never know when your name is going to be called."

That was during the playoffs when he kept benching Drouin for Morrow who we all know was not going to do anything to help the team win

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
it's kinda hard to figure out how Drouin could ever crack that top 20 when he's not in it already, barring injury of course. I mean, I get practice and such, but throwing some in cold during the middle of the playoffs...I'm not sure how this is supposed to work.

It was great, too, Morrow, that guy, who was reliable for taking penalties even when referees tend to put the whistles away more, and for missing a grade-A scoring chance on the door step against Chicago in Game 5 about 30 seconds before the Blackhawks scored what was essentially the Cup-deciding goal. That was really cool. Made the Brenden Morrow Experience quite unforgettable.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
whatever happens you all know i say it like i see it fook drouin he is a fooking punk crybaby i dont like those types do your job work your way up if you dont like it work harder and make it happen

you didnt see whining from kucherov or from vladdy i want character dont have stomach or room for any prima donnas in this team in any position that is my two cents i hope it was a dig

to me the kid needs to grow up stevie yzerman came into league and earned a job it was surprising for a kid to do it but the media was on him for the next 10 years pulling NO PUNCHES he took it he used it he had holland say things at times he deal with babcock for gods sake and handled his business he played a two way game and earned a selke lol when came in all offense at one point

nothing should be given i dont care that he might have been the best player in his draft or he was the third pick

i hated melrose always so didnt like how stamkos was handled but also knew the adversity made him better

i will try to behave but i got cheese and crackers for those who seem to think we ruined drouin etc.. lmfao

GollyG

Apr 4, 2015
In a Storm Cloud
I'd like to think it was me turning off the game AND then promptly falling asleep when PIT made in 4-3 with 6 mins to go that allowed the Bolts to come back and win the game in OT. :nod: But I'm still kinda sad I missed it. :(

Last edited:

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Cooper was celebrating with and giving credit to Nammy. Yes, a very negative view would be it is a dig on Drouin but it wasn't about Drouin . It was about Nammy another former 1st round pick getting a hatty! It is not all about Drouin to the team or coach.
To Drouin I imagine he has to wonder watching Nammy if he thinks he could beat out Nammy. Based on what I see right now I say no.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
just finally watched whole game saw people question or maybe question vasy saw some people here elsewhere say didnt deserve win etc..

not sure what you all see or watch but hey guys to me this is flat out number one best played game all season had a couple turnovers where pitt could have scored and vasy did job in second and third first we really controlled play and scoring chances imho

saw the mistakes by defenders not clearing some pucks turning over for point blank attempts a couple and saw the crosby miss

now saying all that filppula was awesome callahan had some shifts brown had a legit shot and tape to tape opposite side of nets shots we had six or 8 in last two periods that could have been goals and was the BEST WORK I HAVE SEEN ALL YEAR

tyjo had a couple of incredible set ups to others and one to himself killorn missed a couple of puck jumps to miss one timers at the net kucherov had one and set up others vladdy had another two point blank tape to tape would have been finishes

this was best ive seen us all year totally happy with game work and outcome was impressive to get sooo many of those plays we thrived on last year easy give me goals because we were on fire impresssssssssssssssssssive

my two cents if tyjo aint back hes dammmed close

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Fell asleep before the third and it's nice to see they pulled out the win after giving up the lead in the third.

Happy for Names. He's forcing Cooper and co. to keep him in the top 6 the way he plays. This is how you take your chance and run with it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Fell asleep before the third and it's nice to see they pulled out the win after giving up the lead in the third.

Happy for Names. He's forcing Cooper and co. to keep him in the top 6 the way he plays. This is how you take your chance and run with it.

The key to cementing yourself in Cooper's top-six? Find a way to play a few games with Palat.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
The key to cementing yourself in Cooper's top-six? Find a way to play a few games with Palat.

That's so true. :laugh: I think even the fourth line would be our best line consistantly if Palat played there. It's amazing what he does to any line or any players he plays with.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Why the **** are we talking about Drouin and Cooper again ? We're on a 4 games win streak, 6th in the conference with one of our kids breaking out just before our eyes. It's only good times at the moment and I'm personally going to enjoy it no matter what. Can't wait for the Panthers game. Let's go Bolts !

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That's so true. :laugh: I think even the fourth line would be our best line consistantly if Palat played there. It's amazing what he does to any line or any players he plays with.

Both Kucherov and Namestnikov have benefited from the Palat magic. Hell, Stamkos is even looking like he might salvage his year. Who knows what would have happened to Johnson if he and Drej hadn't come up together.

The voodoo is strong with this one. Players have a weird ability to live up to their highest potential next to him. We should give him three games with Drouin and see if we can create a new Patrick Kane.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Both Kucherov and Namestnikov have benefited from the Palat magic. Hell, Stamkos is even looking like he might salvage his year. Who knows what would have happened to Johnson if he and Drej hadn't come up together.

The voodoo is strong with this one. Players have a weird ability to live up to their highest potential next to him. We should give him three games with Drouin and see if we can create a new Patrick Kane.

Palat-Drouin-Stamkos. I actually really want to see that line. Put Vladdy on the left of Johnson and Kuch and we have an incredible top 6.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Palat-Drouin-Stamkos. I actually really want to see that line. Put Vladdy on the left of Johnson and Kuch and we have an incredible top 6.

Or we should filter slumping players through his line. Now that Names is going, let's bump him down to Killer's spot, and move Callahan up with 18-91. Then once Cally is going, we take whoever else is playing poorly.

I'm kidding of course. But the crazy thing is, it would probably work. There's a lot of evidence now to suggest that Drej is a really rare type of player.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Or we should filter slumping players through his line. Now that Names is going, let's bump him down to Killer's spot, and move Callahan up with 18-91. Then once Cally is going, we take whoever else is playing poorly.

I'm kidding of course. But the crazy thing is, it would probably work. There's a lot of evidence now to suggest that Drej is a really rare type of player.

I said it last year and I still believe it. Drej is the key to this team and he is the last of the Triplets (hell, the forwards) that I want to lose. I put him up there with Hedman in terms of importance to this team.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I said it last year and I still believe it. Drej is the key to this team and he is the last of the Triplets (hell, the forwards) that I want to lose. I put him up there with Hedman in terms of importance to this team.

Lots of evidence to suggest that too.

I'll bet you can make a pretty decent correlation between how the team has played this year and how Drej has played as an individual. It goes beyond points though, so it'd be hard to quantify. But we can generally tell if Drej had a good game or a bad game (be it due to injury, or just bad, or whatever). My guess is his individual performances have a bigger effect on our W/L record outside of anyone save Bishop and maybe Hedman.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Why the **** are we talking about Drouin and Cooper again ? We're on a 4 games win streak, 6th in the conference with one of our kids breaking out just before our eyes. It's only good times at the moment and I'm personally going to enjoy it no matter what. Can't wait for the Panthers game. Let's go Bolts !

Those two Panthers games coming up are huge. Could this be the start of an earnest rivalry? Would love to reel them in and watch them collapse.

I am definitely buying the Palat hype now. Johnson better shape up or he's the one leaving in favor of Stamkos.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Those two Panthers games coming up are huge. Could this be the start of an earnest rivalry? Would love to reel them in and watch them collapse.

A rivalry would one be a good thing, and it's likely going to happen. Yes those 2 Panthers games are huge... And you know what I hope we meet up in the playoffs. That'd be a blast.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
A rivalry would one be a good thing, and it's likely going to happen. Yes those 2 Panthers games are huge... And you know what I hope we meet up in the playoffs. That'd be a blast.

I don't think I could handle losing to the Panthers in the playoffs.

Granted I think we would beat them in 7 games, if we lost I wouldn't leave my house for a month.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad