GDT: 1/13/15 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Boston

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Not really. Tie Domi once upon a time threw a sucker punch at Ulf Samuelsson. Paquette threw a shot that looks like it's aimed at Chara's face. At the very least he responded to Chara's cross check with a cross check of his own. And Chara hit him. Just because a guy throws a solid punch doesn't automatically make it a sucker punch. Paquette had to know chances were good he was going to get smacked in that spot.

If they weren't engaged in a fight, a punch with force directly to the head is a sucker punch. It's no different than when Lucic did it to Hedman a few years ago.

Paquette told Chara to watch out, Chara cross checked him, Paquette tried to push him back and his hand rode up Charas shoulder, Chara went full force.

It's a sucker punch.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I can't believe that thread is still going on strong in the main forum. Both fan bases should just let it go.

I could careless about the toughness , we should not change our identiity because of one team, we had a good chance to come back in that game but ran out of gas, was more pissed about that.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If they weren't engaged in a fight, a punch with force directly to the head is a sucker punch. It's no different than when Lucic did it to Hedman a few years ago.

Paquette told Chara to watch out, Chara cross checked him, Paquette tried to push him back and his hand rode up Charas shoulder, Chara went full force.

It's a sucker punch.

I've yet to see an angle that shows a "push" from Paquette. At the very least he's trying to return the cross check. But it looks a lot more like he throws a shot at Chara's face. I'm not sure if it landed. Chara's shot landed.

I have no issue with what Paquette did. I kind of like it. But he was not simply minding his business and got punched by big bad Chara. He was trying to stand up for a teammate and it went bad for him.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I love BP.

In the end, Jack Edwards, your mighty Bruins team only managed to beat a tired Lightning team on the tail end of a back-to-back with no Tyler Johnson and no Victor Hedman by a goal that Anton Stralman kicked into the back of his own net on a fluke play. Wow. Quite the accomplishment. Would you like your Stanley Cup celebratory champagne for that victory now, or maybe wait a couple of hours? I mean, surely Bettman will call off the season and hand you the silver chalice. At least, that's how you and the rest of the NESN crew acted at the end of the game.

http://boltprospects.com/content/nhl-game-night-1-13-15-lightning-bruins

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Kind of sad. That's not the same Bruins team... they look so beatable.

I just find it so odd that there's no concern over a 1-goal victory margin against a team missing the same pieces they were missing, what, a month ago? They're barely in the playoffs at this point.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/lig...150115/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
“I went over and just told him not to (board Carle) again and I think he didn’t like that,’’ Paquette said. “He got me on the chin and the throat all in one motion, he surprised me, I didn’t expect that, but that’s part of the game. We never said anything (about fighting) he never talked to me at all. He cross checked, I cross checked him back and he suckered me right away.”

Chara earned an extra penalty on the play for the punch. Then later in the game, in the final minute as Tampa Bay looked for the tying goal, Chara continued to hound Paquette along the boards and in the corners. Just before the final buzzer, Paquette took a swing at Chara that ended up in another slight altercation.

“I went in front of the net, tried to do my job and he just wouldn’t let me go and that’s my job,’’ Paquette said. “I think he took a couple of penalties on me the last game and if I had to do it again, I would.”
Boston RW Brad Marchand was asked about the play after the game, telling the Boston media he hopes Paquette “will be sent down by then for his sake.’’

“He can say whatever he wants, I don’t really listen to him,’’ Paquette said of Marchand’s comments.
Brown said he had a tooth knocked loose when he was cross checked to the face by Boston C David Krejci during Tuesday’s game that led to an altercation between the two.
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/cedric-paquette-on-zdeno-chara-we-had-a-good-battle/2213822
The battle wasn't over yet. In the final minute, Chara shoved Paquette down in the corner. Paquette came to the front of the net and took a swing, leading Chara to engage. They each got double-minors.

"He wouldn't let me go," Paquette said. "We were in a battle in the corner, he pushed me. My job was to get in front of the net, so we had another battle there. He wouldn't let me go even if I tried.

"I'm not going to say, 'No,' even if he's bigger than me. I'm doing my job and obviously he was a lot bigger than me."
"...I'm not going to say no if he's 6-9 or 5-8, I'm going to do my best. And I think we had a good battle."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad