GDT: 1/13/15 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Boston

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
We didn't lose because we lost a couple of scrums. We lost because both Carle and Bish weren't sharp and because of bad luck on Stralman's own-goal. And we lost because our PP is freaking inept. Why did we make it to game 7 of the ECF in 2011? Because our PP was red hot. We lost game 7 because the refs miraculously decided to call no penalties all game. Going 0/5 with guys like Stamkos, Kucherov, Callahan, Filppula, Palat, Drouin or Garrison on the ice is inexcusable. Going 0/5 and giving up quality SH breakaways is even worse.

Fix the PP and we'll win games like this - even without our most physical player and two of our best players on the back-end of back-to-back games.

Also, Pastrnak was dominant all game. Gotta give him credit.

Ayup. Two gift goals, one from Carle Pylon playing right side and another from Stralman after Bish shut the door on Lucic.

Couple those two with 0/5 on the PP and there's the real difference. Pot just one of those and the game is completely different.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We didn't lose because we lost a couple of scrums. We lost because both Carle and Bish weren't sharp and because of bad luck on Stralman's own-goal. And we lost because our PP is freaking inept. Why did we make it to game 7 of the ECF in 2011? Because our PP was red hot. We lost game 7 because the refs miraculously decided to call no penalties all game. Going 0/5 with guys like Stamkos, Kucherov, Callahan, Filppula, Palat, Drouin or Garrison on the ice is inexcusable. Going 0/5 and giving up quality SH breakaways is even worse.

Fix the PP and we'll win games like this - even without our most physical player and two of our best players on the back-end of back-to-back games.

I agree, the offense 5 on 5 was more than fine, you score 3 goals, you should be winning those. If the PP was good, we would of scored that 4th goal and at least get a point out of this game.

At this point, it is not the personnel, but the coaching of the PP, the major issues are getting set up in the zone, and taking shots on goal. Against the Flyers they made passes in the middle, Stamkos and Callahan both scored from literally the same spot. Have to make those kind of passes while someone is screening the goalie and causing chaos around the crease.

Kitchener Boy

Apr 9, 2012
Kitchener

Also, Pastrnak was dominant all game. Gotta give him credit.
By far the best most realistic post.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I remember how conservative teams had to be because they were scared of our PP, and this was in the ****ing playoffs too, that's how you keep teams in check and make them play the skill game instead of gooning it up. Too bad our PP sucks that nobody cares to give us a PP or 10.

Wasn't Adam Oates the offensive assistent coach that year? Isn't he unemployed right now? Why does our PP guy still have a job?
Exactly. And that's how you win as a finesse team against physically dominant teams. Not by trying to play their game like some of our players did last night. Gotta make them think twice before they throw a punch or a stick our way. Marty, Vinny, Stammer, Purcell, Gagne, ... they seemingly scored at will on the PP against the Bruins back in 2011. The B's did everything to keep that unit off the ice and stay on ES.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Guys (and Gals) it seems there was just a big misunderstanding. Apparently there was a bug infestation in TD arena last night but only the Bruins players knew about it. Chara was not trying to check Caryle from behind dangerously into the boards. He saw one of the bugs and was just trying to help Caryle out. Now obviously that dastardly no good punk Paquette had no business trying to confront Chara over this misunderstanding and who can blame Chara for seeing more bugs near Paquettes face and trying to swat them, Good guy Chara just helping out. Too bad Paquette is an above world class diver who is so good at it he can make his teeth fall out at will.

Krejci Cross Checking Brown in the face?? Nope. More bugs. And that was not blood, just bug guts clearly. But Brown is another no good punk who jumped an inocent and unsuspecting Krejci like the dirty no good a-hole he is. Lucic was not the third man in he was trying to help Krejci explain about the bugs. Luckily the refs realised this was a misunderstanding and why Bruins got a power play out of that situation.

And at the end of the game that you all saw as Chara Slashing and cross checking Paquette? Nope. Good guy Chara killing more bugs. See simple explanation. Bruins did nothing wrong just trying to help out.

Last edited:

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
guys (and gals) it seems there was just a big misunderstanding. Apparently there was a bug infestation in td arena last night but only the bruins players knew about it. Chara was not trying to check caryle from behind dangerously into the boards. He saw one of the bugs and was just trying to help caryle out. Now obviously that dastardly no good punk paquette had no business trying to confront chara over this misunderstanding and who can blame chara for seeing more bugs near paquettes face and trying to swat them, good guy chara just helping out. Too bad paquette is an above world class diver who is so good at it he can make his teeth fall out at will.

Krejci cross checking brown in the face?? Nope. More bugs. And that was not blood, just bug guts clearly. But brown is another no good punk who jumped an inocent and unsuspecting krejci like the dirty no good a-hole he is. Lucic was not the third man in he was trying to help krejci explain about the bugs. Luckily the refs realised this was a misunderstanding and why bruins got a power play out of that situation.

And at the end of the game that you all saw as chara slashing and cross checking paquette? Nope. Good guy chara killing more bugs. See simple explanation. Bruins did nothing wrong just trying to help out.

lol.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
The big problem we had last night was that there was little to no energy in the 3rd, I mean I can only recall once that they had any real offensive zone pressure and that's was when the KFC line scored, the rest of the time it was all in our zone and you're not going to win games like that. I also don't recall seeing the Palat - Stamkos - Kucherov line much after the second goal, and I don't put anything on them, they were really great when they were on and they scored two goals but I wish they could have played some of what they did earlier in the game in the 3rd as well to help the team keep the energy up, oh well, the real problem was the work in our own zone and with the d because it's really hard to play offense when the forwards have to go back and help out the defense which they should do but not every shift, and the defense also have to get better and getting the puck out of the zone and get the play going.

And then it's the PP which is just getting pathetic at this point.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Granted once again I didn't watch this game, rather just hung out with my friend instead. So anything I say can be taken for a grain of salt as far as this game is concerned.

First Paquette. He is the new version of the Enforcer. Gone are the days of the boxer on skates. Now you need guys that can bring that if needed, but still are effective hockey players. That is Paquette. Sure I would like to find another player similar in that regards, but we have one that is looking promising in the juniors. (Adam Erne.)

I agree that something needs to change on the Powerplay. If Vinik is willing to spend the cash (He hasn't done anything to contradict that at all.) then I'm all for hiring Adam Oates as a Power play coach. If we can get our power play to be among the best in the league (As it should be with our roster) then we won't have to deal with teams trying to goon it up against us nearly as much in the playoffs.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Can we just sign Evgeny Artyukhin for one game so he can take Charas helmet off and beat the bloody piss out of him? Please...?

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014

I think he got scred when he saw how many more times they have to face our team when he watched the re-run of he game and saw what really happened.

Edit: Oh, I changed my title, felt more fitting since...well, I might as well make it official.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Sucks that Gudas is still out for a few months. I'd like to see him lay the hip on Marchand

I'd just like to see us score on the PP and not have our D playing out of position and being Pylonized like Carle.

The entire conversation about Chara glove punching Paquette in the mouth is different if we score on the successive power play. We score on that PP and/or Stralman doesn't gift Lucic a goal, we get a win in that game.

Having played the night before, legs just went away in the 3rd. It happens.

I disagree with DFC on his assessment of Chara's punch of Paquette. Paquette did not swing for Chara's face, he was pushing his chest. What Chara does is straight up dirty. I do agree with DFC's comment about Paquette's being game. Can't fault the guy for getting up and going back out and doing it all again. Was perfectly fine with me.

However, that's not our game really. Our game went away because we didn't have the legs and personnel to play our game on this night.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd just like to see us score on the PP and not have our D playing out of position and being Pylonized like Carle.

The entire conversation about Chara glove punching Paquette in the mouth is different if we score on the successive power play. We score on that PP and/or Stralman doesn't gift Lucic a goal, we get a win in that game.

Having played the night before, legs just went away in the 3rd. It happens.

I disagree with DFC on his assessment of Chara's punch of Paquette. Paquette did not swing for Chara's face, he was pushing his chest. What Chara does is straight up dirty. I do agree with DFC's comment about Paquette's being game. Can't fault the guy for getting up and going back out and doing it all again. Was perfectly fine with me.

However, that's not our game really. Our game went away because we didn't have the legs and personnel to play our game on this night.

On a second look I think Paquette took a swing at Chara's face. Even if that wasn't the intention, his glove winds up within an inch or two of Chara's face, might even hit him, so I even moreso can't fault Chara with dropping him. I think it's looking at the incident through homer glasses to think Paquette was shoving Chara's chest. He was either going for a cross check or, at the very least, a facewash. It looks to me like he's trying to poke Chara in the face though.

Either way, I don't think it's a big deal. It was an altercation and it happened to be against a guy who can smash a man's face as easily as most guys can facewash a guy.

iwtb*

I think he got scred when he saw how many more times they have to face our team when he watched the re-run of he game and saw what really happened.

Edit: Oh, I changed my title, felt more fitting since...well, I might as well make it official.

Did something happen between the two? Or is Marchand just hiding behind Chara as usual?

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Did something happen between the two? Or is Marchand just hiding behind Chara as usual?

No Paquette had words with Chara after a play was whistled dead and Chara one-punched him with the glove on (as said before it looked like Paquette either missed a crosscheck and hit Chara in the face or punched him first). They mixed it up again later.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
On a second look I think Paquette took a swing at Chara's face. Even if that wasn't the intention, his glove winds up within an inch or two of Chara's face, might even hit him, so I even moreso can't fault Chara with dropping him. I think it's looking at the incident through homer glasses to think Paquette was shoving Chara's chest. He was either going for a cross check or, at the very least, a facewash. It looks to me like he's trying to poke Chara in the face though.

Either way, I don't think it's a big deal. It was an altercation and it happened to be against a guy who can smash a man's face as easily as most guys can facewash a guy.

I've seen the same thing. Paquette had huge balls to mess with Chara though. Regarding the loss, Stralman's goal was the game-changer, not the Chara or the Krejci fights, that's different things.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I've seen the same thing. Paquette had huge balls to mess with Chara though. Regarding the loss, Stralman's goal was the game-changer, not the Chara or the Krejci fights, that's different things.

I agree. I see nothing wrong with what Paquette did either. I actually kind of like it, because he was defending a teammate initially, and that's never a bad thing. (I wish someone had defended Bishop earlier in the game when Marchand bowling balled him.) I just don't think anyone did anything outlandishly wrong in the situation. Chara's a dangerous guy to confront. I think Paquette knew that when he did it.

DangleDoppler

Jul 14, 2009
They both had their sticks in hand and Chara didn't have his stick in the hand he hit Paquette with, I'm not sure what Paquette thought Chara was going to do after he hit him first? Skate away? Not very smart imo.

It's one thing if you want to fight him, or take exception to the idea that some lowly fourth liner is placing his hands on you. It's another if you don't even bother to drop your gloves and fight and instead choose to sucker punch someone in the face. Yeah, that's a sucker punch. Regardless of how you feel Paquette "handled" the situation. Who is the veteran in this league? And why does that then give him the right to act like an ingrate?

Don't give me that "he poked the bear" nonsense. Chara is just a man, and needs to be scrutinized as such. And that move was dirty.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
If I hear "don't poke the bear" one more god damn mother ****ing time. You're right, don't poke the bear. ****ing stab it until it's dead.

Chara threw a sucker punch. Period.

The hilarious thing about all this is all the Bruins fans are talking about the whooping they put on TB. First off, they won the game on a fluky own goal. With TB missing two of its top players, on a back to back. Good for you. But the best part is, all this chest thumping the fans and players are doing about Paquette and Brown, going into next game, we have already won the mental battle for the next game. TB and those two in particular are under their skin after one game. I say this bodes pretty well for us going forward. I mean he'll, the idiot Chara spent the entire last minute of the game chasing Paquette around. If that puck came to the front of the net he wouldn't have been there to defend he was too busy.

Perfect I say. Perfect.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If I hear "don't poke the bear" one more god damn mother ****ing time. You're right, don't poke the bear. ****ing stab it until it's dead.

Chara threw a sucker punch. Period.

The hilarious thing about all this is all the Bruins fans are talking about the whooping they put on TB. First off, they won the game on a fluky own goal. With TB missing two of its top players, on a back to back. Good for you. But the best part is, all this chest thumping the fans and players are doing about Paquette and Brown, going into next game, we have already won the mental battle for the next game. TB and those two in particular are under their skin after one game. I say this bodes pretty well for us going forward. I mean he'll, the idiot Chara spent the entire last minute of the game chasing Paquette around. If that puck came to the front of the net he wouldn't have been there to defend he was too busy.

Perfect I say. Perfect.

Not really. Tie Domi once upon a time threw a sucker punch at Ulf Samuelsson. Paquette threw a shot that looks like it's aimed at Chara's face. At the very least he responded to Chara's cross check with a cross check of his own. And Chara hit him. Just because a guy throws a solid punch doesn't automatically make it a sucker punch. Paquette had to know chances were good he was going to get smacked in that spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad