3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I thought the one before that could have been stopped, and maybe I'm putting that more on him than I should. Staal did Staal things there and it was probably more on him than Hank
Yeah I think it got under him, which it probably shouldn't given the entire composition of the play (all he can do is take away the bottom of the net there). I may be less inclined to blame him at all because DeAngelo for some reason gave his man 35 feet of space from the red line in, and then couldn't close, and Staal was playing off his man and still let the guy beat him to the net. It was like a clown show by the defenders.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Exciting to watch, fun to win but I hope this isn't the typical Ranger performance over the course of the season. I thought they started to come on a bit in the 3rd as far as controlling the game but they need to clean up a lot of things which I guess is to be expected. And please, if the coaches are teaching them to be passive in defending the NZ and the points when the puck is in the defensive zone, that needs to change. If it's just poor execution then hopefully they can fix it.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Seeing Trouba play will put things in perspective for some people in regard to where a player like DeAngelo is along the development curve. The Rangers did not have a defenseman of Trouba's caliber last season.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
And in fairness, and to your point, it’s not all on him either.

This team gave Winnipeg way too much time to decide where to put the puck. That approach, IMO, only exacerbates the problem.
Yeah, that’s for sure. Way too much standing around and watching in the defensive zone and hesitating and just letting the Jets play catch and work the puck around until a high quality chance materialized. I’m hoping it was a combination of jitters and players still getting comfortable with each other and hopefully it gets better as they get more comfortable. Idk though, lots of standing around and hesitating is very reminiscent of last season.

We’ll see. At least the offense was able to make up for it, who knows they could stay in a playoff hunt all season with the offense propping them up while the D figures it out. That’s prob what we’re looking at for most of the season.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Damn, that was fun.

Mika: give him the damn C. Takes the play to the other team more consistently than any other player since... Jagr, I guess.
Panarin: not a perfect game, but he oozes so much skill. The kind of player who lifts the rest of the team, because he plays so well.
Buchnevich: have always been a fan, but confidence is a concern. Can definitely hang with his linemates and came very close a couple of times. Really hope he scores in the next game.
Strome: generic hockey player. Does exactly what you expect in every situation. Not bad per se, but not the second line center on a winning team.
Kreider: same old, same old. 2-3 dominant bursts, a rock in front of the net... but the results are lacking. I like him, but Gorts needs to move him.
Kakko: gained confidence as the game progressed. A couple of those moves were... wow. And he's only 18? It may take him a year or two to hit his stride, but we have a star here, my friends.
Howden: played exactly the game you hope to see from him: gritty goal, faceoff wins, PK. People need to cut him some slack. He projects as a solid bottom six guy who plays for 10-15 years.
Namestnikov: wanted to see more.
Fast: see above.
Lemieux: stupid penalty, but other than that, played the game they acquired him to play: feisty, a pain in front of the net, hard on the forecheck.
Andersson: showed the same jump as in preseason, but no chemistry with his linemates. Whether that's on him or them is hard to say. Excellent on the PK.
Smith: making the best of a tough situation. As I've said, the 4th line showed no chemistry, but he did a good job for a guy who was swinging back and forth.

Trouba: best player on the ice. So pumped we acquired him.
Skjei: a couple of bonehead plays, but also a couple reminiscent of his rookie year playoffs. Encouraging.
Staal: I want to like him, but... The moment the puck gets in close quarters with him, he is simply off – and often leads to the team trapped in its own zone for 30-60 seconds. Which is a shame given how good he used to be at the little passes and off the boards play.
DeAngelo: showed the defense that has concerned me – without the counterbalancing offense that was so encouraging at the end of last season... at least for this game.
Fox: as advertised. Steady, smooth. Some jitters. Wonder how he would have been with a steadier partner.
Hajek: clearly nervous, which led to his benching. (Liked him in that one shift with Trouba right beforehand, however.) Hopefully it's just an opening night thing.

Lundqvist: some vintage saves, but also one Richter-esque long-range stinker, and one meh goal against. On balance, better than league average, but not the game-saving superstar he used to be.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If we can't develop a 2c out of all those prospects then we're screwed anyways. Can't afford to overpay to aquire one right now.

Reactions: 28BHM

Black Aces

Oct 4, 2008
This team is not going anywhere until 1) the left side of the defense gets upgraded, (and based upon the responses, Skjei is not likely to help in that regard) and 2), a legitimate 2C is either acquired or developed.
we knew this before the pre season

Reactions: haveandare

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Lot of our Dmen are better than they showed tonight. That was one of Tony’s worst games I’ve seen him play. He never gets beat wide like that. His passes were off which is unheard of. He’ll be fine

Skjei struggled.

Jets are a tough match up regardless but opening night so many new faces we’ll get better.

If will be hard for Quinn to keep kakko off the top pp and first line. He’s too talented. Have to find him mins.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
My only concern is the health, and I am hoping that concern fades with more time.

But it’s almost easy to forget that Zibanejad was a high pick - the kind of top end, first line talent we’re always talking about needing. He was his big riser in his draft class and no one should really be surprised to find that the pieces coming together has resulted in a first line center.

The complete package is there.

By all accounts early in his career, his off ice activity in the summer (DJ'ing and such) was too big and he didn't train like a professional should. Maybe now that he's taking that part seriously the injury concern has lessened.

The evidence from Senators fans and such was he wasn't taking his off ice work seriously at all. Now he's front and center in the Rangers summer workout videos.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Lot of our Dmen are better than they showed tonight. That was one of Tony’s worst games I’ve seen him play. He never gets beat wide like that. His passes were off which is unheard of. He’ll be fine

Skjei struggled.

Jets are a tough match up regardless but opening night so many new faces we’ll get better.

If will be hard for Quinn to keep kakko off the top pp and first line. He’s too talented. Have to find him mins.

Hope you're right. I understand he may want balance by keeping him on second line but at least give him first pp unit time

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Skjei struggled.

you are right about ADA struggling moving the puck, but he does get beat wide and his defending off the rush is probably his biggest weakness. It's something that he needs to improve if he wants to solidify himself as a top-tier defenseman.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
I agree with whoever said skjei got better as the game went on.

I don’t know if the rangers have someone who can get the puck to kakko. Panarin, but then suddenly your going back to Kreids/Mika/buch and who’s centering panarin and kakko. Hayes would have been a good center for kakko.

Like strome but he’s not the type of playmaker you need next to kakko to give kakko as many grade A chances as possible

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Really enjoyable game. Outside of a trade I think Strome is the best we have for a 2C... makes good plays but he's slow... LGR
It was obvious from my view that he wants to touch the puck as little as possible and dish it off to KK and let him and Kreider do their thing. Aside from the early penalties, i thought he was fine. He gave Buch a beautiful feed on that near goal.

Reactions: egelband

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It's going to be a long season, but hopefully there are enough games like tonight where you can pick out enough bright spots in a game we probably should've lost. Some random thoughts:

The gap between the top line and the rest of the forward group is hilariously large.

Kreider/Strome/Kakko may have shown something in camp to the coaches, but it clearly isn't translating to games. It's just 3 individuals kind of existing on the ice together. Some sparks of something with individual efforts but just no cohesion at all.

Trouba had a monster game. It'll be huge if he can be that guy consistently going forward.

Hank was mostly excellent. Kept the team in it even if that 3rd goal was a softie.

Howden had the kind of game I expect him to have. Unspectacular but played his role and scored a greasy goal that ended up being the game winner.

Andersson had some good moments but looked bad leaving Scheifele uncovered in front of the net for a goal. Lost his man a number of times in his own end. In his defense, that's a lot to ask of a young player.

Kakko started coming on at points during the game. You can tell he's going to be a hell of a player.

This team badly needs someone to step up and be a viable 2C.

Skjei was trash.

Staal generated a heck of a lot of offensive chances... for both teams.

ADA was kind of a mess. Looked bad letting Ehlers blow by him to set up Wheeler.

Hajek was all over the map. Said in the GDT he couldn't field a pass but then had some young McDonagh-esque moments with the puck on his stick.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
I noticed that there was little delay in taking shots. Players got a pass and they didn't wait forever to take the f***ing shot! Finally!

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
As messy as they were today (and holy shit, were they messy), its not that big of a deal. If they're playing the same way 2-3 months out, we've got a problem that extends beyond the roster. All the miscommunication and off target passes from the forwards should minimize.

As others have mentioned, the Staal-DeAngelo pairing was straight donkey nuts tonight. Staal followed up a solid 1st minus a shift by reminding everyone what he really is over the last 40, DeAngelo wasn't really a whole lot better.

Trouba may legit score 15-20 this year.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Up and down game by a lot of the lineup, which is kind of to be expected to be honest. This is a team with a lot of new players trying to find chemistry. That said:

Zibanejad was the best forward by far. Outshone Panarin. Dude is the real deal if he can just keep this up. So fast and smooth with the puck you almost don't expect it.

Panarin showed some good stuff but obviously not his best stuff.

Buch facilitates but will need to put some pucks in the net. Not a bad game or anything though.

Kreider flashed some real nice bursts but would liek to see him control the puck more. That line in general needs to establish more puck possession

Kakko...need to get him the puck in the offensive zone. That should be the goal of that line. Generated several good chances by himself and got better as the game went along, but certainly we're all waiting for him to bust out.

Stome...eh. About what we all expected

3rd line was up and down. just as I was thinkign "howden isn't doing crap tonight" he scores a goal. Not a fan of his overall game so far but he managed to be in the right place at the right time

4th line feels like a mashup of leftovers and again I can't imagine how they expect Andersson to show a whole lot from that position. Or Lemieux for that matter. Just a weird combination.

Skjei had bad moments and some better moments. He needs to be better and even out his game but he keeps flashing that possibility of doing better. A bit frustrating.

Trouba, mostly good. Hard to be perfect as a defenseman but I think overall he was more or less as advertised

Staal - DeAngelo. had some issues at times but I think they'll be better

Same with Hajek - Fox. They'll be better but tough game to start the season with.

Hank stopped some good ones and let in at least one bad one. But...that'll be what the season is.

Overall, just hope they move forward and are better

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
This team is not going anywhere until 1) the left side of the defense gets upgraded, (and based upon the responses, Skjei is not likely to help in that regard) and 2), a legitimate 2C is either acquired or developed.

This was a given post free agency and not a single thing has changed since.

The theme is just going to be enjoy hockey, they will be a fun team either way.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Lias was:
Even on Corsi (+12.5% rel), 61% Fenwick (+24.7% rel), even on SOG (+10.61% rel), 48.98% xGF% (2nd on the team to Panarin, +12% rel) at All Strengths, including on the PK.

8:33 TOI, lowest on the team by almost 30 seconds, and just 2 shifts after the 2nd got down to 3 mins left. Because...REASONS.

(in the event that he's hurt, I'm pissed off at whatever caused it, not Quinn. If he's not though...)

EDIT: All stats per Corsica (and also this is a repost of my earlier in the Lias thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad