3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I'm not really sure I get where this Hank narrative is coming from- which goals exactly were softies besides the 2nd Wheeler goal? The first goal was a behind-the-net slot pass to Scheifele who absolutely roofed it and shouldn't have been open in the first place. The 3rd was a terrible play by ADA to let Ehlers blow by him and set Wheeler up for an easy royal road tap-in. The 4th was a deflection from point blank by Connor. Even on the third goal, Howden let Wheeler basically walk into the zone untouched and no one bothered to try to prevent him from shooting the puck.

If we're looking outside of that, what about the saves he made on Laine in tight or the save on Scheifele's mini-breakway late in the third. We gave up 15 high-danger scoring chances last night.

I agree, but that wasn't what happened on the play I'm referring too. Morrissey was coming down the center lane and deferred it back to the high right wall to Wheeler. It's more of a structural thing that we consistently yield the blue line to attacking teams. It's frustrating and allows them to enter the zone with way too much momentum.
Yeah, I don't get the Hank stuff either. I rewatched the game tonight and outside of that second Wheeler goal I don't have much issue with his game. Even the second Wheeler goal on the rewatch was taken from a closer and more dangerous spot that I remembered. He was a bit scrambley at times but he was much more in control than he was compared to the second half of last season. I think it appeared more hectic because of the sheer volume of high danger chances the Jets had. Once it was 3-3 he had at least 6 or 7 grade A chances he stopped in the rest of the second period alone to keep it tied. For game one of the season, I think his performance is more encouraging that anything else. And anyone saying "the Jets just hit him" on their tough chances as opposed to him making saves, that's a ridiculous statement to be making you could say that about most any saves if you really want to. If he's lying and there's an open net and he doesn't move and they shoot it at his butt and he stops it, okay. But you can't micro-analyze saves to take credit away from the goalie bc you don't like where the shooter put the shot. A friend of mine who was at the game said it was insane how good Lundqvist looked in person during the game that he made a dozen saves that seemed like they were in the net to everyone in the arena, he was surprised when I told him some people online thought Hank looked bad.

Overall, good but not great game from Hank. Some spectacular saves, a few scattered out of position moments and a softie against. However, most other goalies in net for that game and we lose so I don't get the complaining. Say most goalies stop the 3rd goal fine, but how many are stopping every single high danger chance Hank did? Again, good not great game but made tons of tough saves and got the win. Fine for opening night, if he can round into form and the defense can improve a bit to even just being average then things should level off. He's not .930 Hank anymore but I don't think we should all be assuming he's washed up yet, I think there's still a little tread left in those tires.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I am not sure what to tell you. Did he throw the puck at another player that led to a goal? No.

Here is what positionally is. How about being on the wrong side of the ice, which leads to scoring chances for the other team? Scheifele is very good, but he moved around like Skjei was not even there.

What else? How about being very slow to clear puck or frankly move fee? To simply chip the puck off the boards with no pressure whatsoever?

He had a few good plays, but overall he was pretty terrible last night.

I don't know if you are expecting perfection. I didn't see what you described, at all. I did see him skate the puck out of trouble on more than a couple of occasions. I also saw him make some very good defensive plays. He was FAR from terrible.
What I have seen are players getting, in some cases, unearned reputations on this board. I would hate to see Skjei get one undeservedly.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Just finished the game, Rangers definately had problems with Wheeler and Scheifele. The amount of high quality chances the Jets had wont cut it for the rest of the year. Weirdly enough, Hank got most of the great chances and let that long ass shot by :P

Zibanejad, Trouba were the best Rangers.
Funny how people say we had trouble with those 2, do you think Jets fans are saying they had trouble with Zbad, Panarin, Trouba and lets not forget the offensively underrated Marc NOT Eric, NOT even Jordan.......but the high flying Marc Staal!

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Some might think I'm crazy, but I wish they had kept Pionk and traded Skjei.
yes, u r crazy. lol. the only thing that would make sense in any way would be dumping his contract. [Brady's] i think nearly twice as much as Pionks new deal. Jets priority there, was to dump what they coudnt afford......supposedly. pionk simply replaced him for 3x less?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It's no surprise the rangers need to be better...this isn't a team that is a finished product by any means
They might get better this season, they might not, there might still be a ton of roster turnover. Hopefully they look better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->