Game Analysis: #1 - 10/3/13 | New York Rangers @ Phoenix Coyotes Analysis

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Game 1 results aside.

Looking at this team, tell me what you think the teams identity is going to be.

We are not going to be a tough team.

I personally do not believe we have the players to be a skilled team (to many players have a tough enough time accepting or making simple passes).

We move out Pyatt and Boyle and we can be a pretty fast team, but without the skill necessary to compliment that speed, we skate fast and accomplish nothing.

Pre-season and 1 Reg. Season games tells me we are not going to be a defensive team.

So, what is it?

Who are we?

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
As for this team, patience is needed. They've played 1 game; were without Callahan and Hagelin. I'll wait and see what they have when they have their full roster on the ice. They have some holes even with those two out, hopefully they'll address those as the season goes along.

It'll take a bit of time for them to get acclimated in their new defensive system; it'll take time for them to gel.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Game 1 results aside.

I personally do not believe we have the players to be a skilled team (to many players have a tough enough time accepting or making simple passes).

We move out Pyatt and Boyle and we can be a pretty fast team, but without the skill necessary to compliment that speed, we skate fast and accomplish nothing.

Pre-season and 1 Reg. Season games tells me we are not going to be a defensive team.

So, what is it?

Who are we?

It's a very good question. And one that I don't see a clear answer too.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Game 1 results aside.

So, what is it?

Who are we?

DREAM TEAM
A team we can dream about getting better on all points.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Game 1 results aside.

So, what is it?

Who are we?

our idenity begins and ends with our captain.. we go when our captain goes.. wait till we get both them back and starting on the road for a month, living away from fam friends, familiar surroundings doesn't help. time will tell.. most players in the league start out slow..

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Amazing that one game and some meaningless preseason games in with a new coach no less people are already making judgements on the team. Embarrassing really. Need I remind you that everyone's wet dream team in 11-12 was 3-3-3 to start the season and a mediocre 3-3-3? They also barely had to go through ANY transition.

InwoodBlueNYC

Sep 23, 2013
NYC
As good and as important are Hagelin and Calahan and Lundqvist, we cannot rely on just them to win us games. We need depth and contributions from all the players. Even when Cally and Hags come back they will have their off nights. Where will the wins come from then? Hank can keep out the pucks but he cannot put them in at the other end.:help:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
As good and as important are Hagelin and Calahan and Lundqvist, we cannot rely on just them to win us games. We need depth and contributions from all the players. Even when Cally and Hags come back they will have their off nights. Where will the wins come from then? Hank can keep out the pucks but he cannot put them in at the other end.:help:

It was ONE GAME. For all we know we'll have a good offense this year. We could have scored a few goals but Mike Smith was good. Not like the Rangers had no chances.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
Our offense will not suffer this year, I'm afraid our goaltending will fall back to earth, while our defense stagnates. We do look more fluid which is never a bad thing and we transition up the ice much cleaner.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
I really don't expect much from this team. On paper they're so-so, but when you look at the other forward cores in our division alone we're easily 2nd tier. Sure we have Hank but we can't expect the man to go God-mode every single game and steal wins. Need to put pucks in the net and we don't have enough goals in the lineup as it currently stands. If they don't at least bring up Kreider and dump Pyatt by November I will lose my ****.

What I don't understand is Sather. It's not like the rosters of other teams in our division was a secret. We could've bought out the 7.5 million dollar man and had Grabovski or Ribiero with money leftover. If Richards doesn't produce this year at a high level (and by high level I mean impacting the game on a nightly basis and putting up over 60 points) OR if he gets hurt this could turn into one of the worst decisions Sather's ever made because it'll have a trickle down effect. Most notably to Lundqvist who clearly wants to win a cup; if Brad plays like dirt and we don't compete this year I wouldn't blame the guy for not wanting to bounce to DET or some other team.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Game 1 results aside.

So, what is it?

Who are we?

I fear we are the ones with 25 different varieties of potato chips available on the plane... :(

InwoodBlueNYC

Sep 23, 2013
NYC
Yes indeed it was just one game. But we did not look so hot in pre-season. As someone posted earlier, this extended road trip should be good for the team. 10-15-20 games into the season we will have a better picture of what kind of team the Rangers will be.

beef 4 lunch

Jan 24, 2011
We are a team staked on D, with a serious deficit of 1st line forwards. We are also one of the softest rangers teams i can remeber.

If b Richards performed like a 7 million dollar center and any of our forward draft picks developed into top level talent things would be better but we are what we are.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
We are a team staked on D, with a serious deficit of 1st line forwards. We are also one of the softest rangers teams i can remeber.

If b Richards performed like a 7 million dollar center and any of our forward draft picks developed into top level talent things would be better but we are what we are.

Well the good news is that Richards has looked better than he has since 11-12 last game, I'm very hopeful.

Thesensation19*

why do people think that if we had a massively overpaid dubi and an underrated arty we would be a contender again?

I miss Dubinsky lol. Idk if he was that overpaid. He didnt live up to the offense we thought he would have. But lets look at him as a whole.

The guy plays like Milan Lucic. I would say a bit less attitude and more control though. And hes even more productive on offense. Hes a strong leader, hence why he wears the A in Columbus.

He was immediately recognized by JD when he was hired over there too.

We expect his type of salary to put up points. But we shouldnt always. Sometimes a guy like Dubi is needed. That type of guy who can forecheck like a bulldog. Who can be relied on to backcheck like a hound. Hes a dog out there on the ice.

The best part is that the guy has a great way in controlling the puck out there. He cant find the back of the net as much as we hope for but he provides pressure and keeps possession. I find possession to be important because it helps increase your teams chance of scoring directly or indirectly... He has so much poise with the puck and if Dubinsky wanted to join the Rangers again id take him back in a heart beat.

Championship teams need a guy like Dubinsky on your starting roster. Every team I can think of has a guy LIKE him. Idk if we have that guy anymore. Dorsett is not the same type of guy. Pyatt is certainly not that guy. Callahan is sort of like him but not exactly.

You look at Boston (milan lucic), Chicago (saad), Pens (Kunitz?) Detroit (a few over the years). They all have one. They know the worth of them.

I hope we can get him back.

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
Yeah it was super awesome, we won so many cups.

You will be very wrong by the time Rick Nash leaves NY. Also, you can start talking about how bad things are when they are last in the division come December, not the first week of October.

It's called foresight. I've been consistently of this view since we dumped torts, and it'll only get more and more popular as it proves to be right.

Kel Varnsen

Sep 27, 2009
Dubinsky hasn't done much since the fall of 2010. Go look at his numbers from 10-11. He struggled in the 2nd half. He still got his money. In 11-12,it was struggle for him to hit double digits in goals. He suffered a high ankle sprain in game seven in the Ottawa series and didn't return until game five against Jersey. Columbus put him back in the middle after Tortorella put him on the left side. Jenner and Gaborik are his linemates.

I'm not sure I've ever disagreed with you RB but here I have to. He was on pace for 57 points with the jackets last year. He tore it up in the preseason for them this year, and he started the year with a point in the first game. He's centering their top line, he's been a leader for them. Ask Jackets fans what they think of Dubi. They love him. And he's always been an elite puck carrier, which is why I thought torts was wrong when he tried to make him a LW instead of a C. The way he was treated here was terrible. Are the same people that held his holdout over his head for the rest of his tenure going to do the same to Stepan?

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
WTF is going on here? It's one loss in a very long regular season and that one loss was more fun to watch than any game last year. As a fan I really enjoyed what the team tried to do in its transition game and through the neutral zone. We may not even make the POs but it sure as hell will be exciting hockey. Cheer up *****es.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Comparing Dubinsky to Lucic might be one of the more asinine things I've read on here. That and using the word elite in any sentence describing him.

He has this patented move where he'd get across the blueline with the puck, and at the top of the circle he'd turn his back towards the play and stick his ass out he'd then fiddle around with the puck for a little while before having it knocked off his stick and out of the zone.

He's also never scored 20 goals with a goalie in the net.

His feet only moved about a quarter of the time in the offensive zone as well. Kids head is about 10x bigger than it should be.

Last edited:

*Bob Richards*

I miss Dubinsky lol. Idk if he was that overpaid. He didnt live up to the offense we thought he would have. But lets look at him as a whole.

The guy plays like Milan Lucic. I would say a bit less attitude and more control though. And hes even more productive on offense. Hes a strong leader, hence why he wears the A in Columbus.

He was immediately recognized by JD when he was hired over there too.

We expect his type of salary to put up points. But we shouldnt always. Sometimes a guy like Dubi is needed. That type of guy who can forecheck like a bulldog. Who can be relied on to backcheck like a hound. Hes a dog out there on the ice.

The best part is that the guy has a great way in controlling the puck out there. He cant find the back of the net as much as we hope for but he provides pressure and keeps possession. I find possession to be important because it helps increase your teams chance of scoring directly or indirectly... He has so much poise with the puck and if Dubinsky wanted to join the Rangers again id take him back in a heart beat.

Championship teams need a guy like Dubinsky on your starting roster. Every team I can think of has a guy LIKE him. Idk if we have that guy anymore. Dorsett is not the same type of guy. Pyatt is certainly not that guy. Callahan is sort of like him but not exactly.

You look at Boston (milan lucic), Chicago (saad), Pens (Kunitz?) Detroit (a few over the years). They all have one. They know the worth of them.

I hope we can get him back.

Dubinsky plays nothing like Milan Lucic. They aren't even close. Milan is bigger, more aggressive, a vastly superior fighter and has better skill and production.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
WTF is going on here? It's one loss in a very long regular season and that one loss was more fun to watch than any game last year. As a fan I really enjoyed what the team tried to do in its transition game and through the neutral zone. We may not even make the POs but it sure as hell will be exciting hockey. Cheer up *****es.

I feel there are of fans that would feel this way....but I simply cannot get on board with this mindset.

I would much rather my team get to the playoffs than just be 'entertained' by a team that is 12th in the conference...Playoff hockey is entertaining to me.

I think this team is going to have their 4 goal games this year, but the problem I see this team giving 5 goals in those games.... I haven't liked any thing I've seen from there defensive zone coverage so far... BUT yes I know its still early

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Game 1 results aside.

So, what is it?

Who are we?

To use other teams as an example, I think we're going to be a cross between the Bruins and the Red Wings. We're not physical enough to be the Bruins and we're not skilled enough to be the Red Wings, but I think we have enough of each to incorporate elements of both. We'll have the offense generated from 3 lines, a la the Bruins, but our ability to use our D in transition will be a big part of the game, a la the Wings.

But that being said, I have no idea how pre-season and regular season games tells you anything about what kind of team we're going to be. We won't know how good we are defensively at least for another month.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
You know, as time goes by, I like the Nash fight more and more.

Not the fight itself, because Nash just looked confused doing it, but that mentality is absolutely the one we want to set. Other teams don't have to worry about 2 or 3 Rangers getting tough with them, they have to worry about every single Ranger standing up and delivering.

The best possibility is that the leaders in the locker room keep the Torts attitude, and AV simply infuses more skill into the system. It's a long shot, but a team with the chip on it shoulder that a Tortorella team comes with and the hockey IQ that a AV team comes with is downright DANGEROUS.

It will be up to Cally, Staal, Richie, Nash, and G to keep that up. I hope our lockerroom leaders make sure to set the tone that none of our guys are to be ****ed with, and that nobody is safe, goon in the lineup or not.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Im havin sex w u rn
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

Not the fight itself, because Nash just looked confused doing it, but that mentality is absolutely the one we want to set. Other teams don't have to worry about 2 or 3 Rangers getting tough with them, they have to worry about every single Ranger standing up and delivering.

The best possibility is that the leaders in the locker room keep the Torts attitude, and AV simply infuses more skill into the system. It's a long shot, but a team with the chip on it shoulder that a Tortorella team comes with and the hockey IQ that a AV team comes with is downright DANGEROUS.

It will be up to Cally, Staal, Richie, Nash, and G to keep that up. I hope our lockerroom leaders make sure to set the tone that none of our guys are to be ****ed with, and that nobody is safe, goon in the lineup or not.

Loving this post. The positivity is refreshing. I loved the Nash fight myself, especially after the first two periods he had. Shows some passion and leadership. Hopefully it sets a tone for Monday night, because they're going to be facing one of the toughest teams in the league.

Kel Varnsen

Sep 27, 2009

Golden Gloves Nasher. Really though, it screamed faux toughness to me. The game was all but over. The hit he was "responding" to was clean. And then once the fight started Nash looked like he instantly regretted dropping the gloves.

He'll win me over with a little more figurative fight in his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad