Post-Game Talk: #1 - 10/05/17 | avalanche @ RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
That is a pretty good observation of the way that they looked. Couple that with coming out completely flat and a lackadaisical attitude on the defensive side of things (both forwards and defensemen) and you get what you get.

Like I said , one cannot sound the alarm after one game, but there are some things that can be seen now will be an issue. Not to mention that, at least for the first game, AV's vaunted system continues to produce diminishing returns.

They were definitely flat. That is a recurring theme to start games.

But their inability to execute tends to make them look even flatter.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
First game and ran into a hot goalie. I wouldn't read too much into it.
I would be concerned, though, about AV's constant tinkering. I also think he stands a good chance of screwing up the kid Chytil. When you bring an 18 onto the team, you have to expect some weaknesses, but sitting on the bench isn't going to fix them.
Other concerns are Staal and Hank. How long can AV stay with a Staal/TonyD pairing? Hank is looking every bit his age. Looks slow and when you are slowing down, you can't play deep in your crease. Still early, so it may just be early season rust. Let's hope so, or else we will need to throw $$$ at Igor to get him state side.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
im not overly worried about last nights game, there are going to be plenty of times this season where we are the better team but dont win. last night was one of those nights

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
That approach has not really worked well. Abandoning defense and hoping to be the Greatest Show on Ice is a recipe for disaster. That said, I do know that is exactly the type of team that AV wants, but again, if Henke is not the best player on the ice, this team does not win. Not with this approach.

I'm not sure they have any other way to play. recipe for disaster does not seem quite right, they are pretty successful doing what they do, but I agree their coverage has issues but part of that stems from them pushing, trying to pinch, making long passes and whatnot. If they are not going to be aggressive towards those means I'm not sure where that leaves them.

I don't mind the aggression, but that also means without a high level of execution, tape to tape stuff, it's going to bite them.

The other thing which we did not even see yet, how do they play with a lead? I think that failed them more than anything at least in the playoffs, coaching and the players need to keep the aggressive stuff going. Sitting back and allowing the other team to dictate the pace while they allow easy entries, and do the Benny Hill in their own zone, while that may work against some teams especially in the regular season, I do think against the better teams in the league, in a playoff series... it's a bad idea.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
First game and ran into a hot goalie. I wouldn't read too much into it.
I would be concerned, though, about AV's constant tinkering. I also think he stands a good chance of screwing up the kid Chytil. When you bring an 18 onto the team, you have to expect some weaknesses, but sitting on the bench isn't going to fix them.
Other concerns are Staal and Hank. How long can AV stay with a Staal/TonyD pairing? Hank is looking every bit his age. Looks slow and when you are slowing down, you can't play deep in your crease. Still early, so it may just be early season rust. Let's hope so, or else we will need to throw $$$ at Igor to get him state side.
But WERE supposed to have the hot goalie that runs into.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm not sure they have any other way to play. recipe for disaster does not seem quite right, they are pretty successful doing what they do, but I agree their coverage has issues but part of that stems from them pushing, trying to pinch, making long passes and whatnot. If they are not going to be aggressive towards those means I'm not sure where that leaves them.
Isn't that one of the problems that we have outlined with AV's system? There is no Plan B. No other way to play. And if this is the only way to play, you are looking at a "meh" team. Can look good against teams that cede the middle of the ice to them, not so much when playing those teams that do not allow it. And certainly not against teams who can that the mistakes and turn them very quickly into odd man rushes.

BTW, kudos on the Benny Hill reference.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Yeah I know a loss sucks. But really a lot of good things came from last night's game. The PP for one, looked really good. Mika had some great shots. I liked Shattenkirks play, although one of the goals against he could have defended better. Deharnias looked really good on both ends, and the Top line looked really good as well. Also liked Nash's game.

If that had been Staal on that scoring play, instead of Shattenkirk, there would be 200 posts screaming that Staal sucks.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I don`t see us get any pts. in Toronto - they are strong at home and down the middle with generation talents. And this pre season I felt like AV completely missed with several players decisions. And not sure what we are trying to do out there tactically - no urgency from the team. All is fine in Rangers town so it seems.

Which decisions did AV screw up?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don`t see us get any pts. in Toronto - they are strong at home and down the middle with generation talents. And this pre season I felt like AV completely missed with several players decisions. And not sure what we are trying to do out there tactically - no urgency from the team. All is fine in Rangers town so it seems.

Generational talents - plural? They have likely one in Matthews.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Isn't that one of the problems that we have outlined with AV's system? There is no Plan B. No other way to play. And if this is the only way to play, you are looking at a "meh" team. Can look good against teams that cede the middle of the ice to them, not so much when playing those teams that do not allow it. And certainly not against teams who can that the mistakes and turn them very quickly into odd man rushes.

I'm not sure this roster has a plethora of players who could be good in their own zone, and also be good going up ice, and be good at keeping the puck up ice, cycling and whatnot.

I guess being good at going up ice, and maybe adding one of those other things without hampering being good at going up ice would be the next step. I don't think being good in their own zone is especially plausible. I'd think their best bet, be good going up ice, limit the mistakes as much as possible while still going for it, and try to be good at staying in the O-zone. And back check as hard as possible. Maybe focus on the shots off the rush hitting the net, going to the net, and trying to win more offensive zone puck battles if/when that fails. Yeah that still leaves the plan, hope the goalie stops stuff but it also hopefully makes the other goalie have to stop more stuff.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
the bad was the def zone play at times and the pk looked off. oh and of course, RICK NASH continuing to steal money. -1 with 4 "shots" and zero points for the big guy who's thinner and "Ready to go" (no where).

varly outplayed hank and that was the difference right there. henrik wasnt his best but the lanche did play pretty well. thats a talented fast offensive team and we did our usual. NOT CAPITALIZE ON CHANCES. that colo defense is pretty bad.

on to the next one.

Kreider was -2 with 2 shots and zero points. Did he steal money, too? Cherry-picking stats to prove a point opens the door to cherry-picking other stats to prove other points.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
If that had been Staal on that scoring play, instead of Shattenkirk, there would be 200 posts screaming that Staal sucks.

Because Staal can *definitely* make that beauty of a pass that Shattenkirk made for Zib's first goal. -_-

People shit on Staal because he's supposed to be a defensive defenseman who contributes no offense but shuts down guys in his own end.

Staal does not do this, therefore he gets shat on.

He should get shat on for it, end of story.

Shattenkirk is the better player, he will make higher risk plays, but he'll also reap higher rewards

Reactions: Holocene

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Generational talents - plural? They have likely one in Matthews.

Yes typo - Matthews, I edited the post, but they have 5 players above 60 pts last year in regular season - so it won`t be easy and a good challenge for AV.

Last edited:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Which decisions did AV screw up?
Not only AV, but I don`t feel to talk about it right now. And it doesn`t matter what I think - I can`t watch all their training sessions, and I`m not daily updated about their plans and drafting decisions earlier this summer. You just need to believe they did the right moves - and hope for the best the remaining of the season. I know many of you have been a Rangers fans for a lifetime - so it should not be important what other think all the time about Rangers and their future, or earlier decisions concerning their future and how they are building the team.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Because Staal can *definitely* make that beauty of a pass that Shattenkirk made for Zib's first goal. -_-

People **** on Staal because he's supposed to be a defensive defenseman who contributes no offense but shuts down guys in his own end.

Shattenkirk is the better player, he will make higher risk plays, but he'll also reap higher rewards

Don't waste your time.

member 116805

Chytil barely got to touch the puck. Rick Nash is sometimes a black hole. Once the puck goes to him its either a weak shot from anywhere or a lost possession trying to go thru 1-3 players. He has some nights where he refuses to pass the puck. Last night was one of them.

Classic puckhog, it's true

Reactions: NickyFotiu

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford

People **** on Staal because he's supposed to be a defensive defenseman who contributes no offense but shuts down guys in his own end.

I think he meant the Avs scoring play where Shatty failed to tie up/clear out Duchene.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Kreider was -2 with 2 shots and zero points. Did he steal money, too? Cherry-picking stats to prove a point opens the door to cherry-picking other stats to prove other points.

if you believe nash has been good recently then thats your own delusion i guess.

sadly, im expecting more of the same this year and last night i saw exactly that. creampuff shots with so-so effort resulting in nothing on the score sheet

wish i could say i was surprised

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
Surprised to see people complain so quickly, it's not like they lost 10-1. There were tons of chances and their goalie happened to be very good, happens a handful of times every year. Teams win way more often than not under those circumstances, unless they have Lundqvist in the OTT series in the pipes that is.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
But WERE supposed to have the hot goalie that runs into.

No goalie, literally none, is hot every night. And pretty much every year a random goalie has an insane season only to fade out and never play at that level again. It's unreasonable to expect any goalie to be "hot" every night - that's literally why they refer to a goalie as "hot" when they're playing at their peak.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
That is a pretty good observation of the way that they looked. Couple that with coming out completely flat and a lackadaisical attitude on the defensive side of things (both forwards and defensemen) and you get what you get.

Like I said , one cannot sound the alarm after one game, but there are some things that can be seen now will be an issue. Not to mention that, at least for the first game, AV's vaunted system continues to produce diminishing returns.
They managed to get a lot of very high quality chances for a team that can’t connect passes or gain the zone with speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad