Post-Game Talk: #1 - 10/05/17 | avalanche @ RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I dont like our PK. We have 3 guys more interested in getting breakaways than killing the penalty. We play a soft zone instead of attacking the puck carriers allowing easy zone entries too often. Our one side overload is so predictable. The cross ice pass will find a wide open man too often. We dont lock up sticks or clear our crease nearly enough.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Buch made a lot of heavy lifting on that first PP goal and overall continued to show assertiveness we saw in preseason. Very happy he is shooting the puck while continuing to set up Zibanejad and Kreider. This line is capable of carrying this team when needed. One blemish was being a moment too late to engage Barrie at the end of the shift. There goes a whole season without a single mistake. :help:

I don't get all the moaning about DD51 getting PP time. That's his specialty. I thought he did just fine.

Similarly, nothing wrong with McD on the second unit. He doesn't need to quarterback it anymore with ADA (and DD) there. His primary responsibility will be to keep the puck in the zone (where he's above average imho).

I liked our 4th line, #28 didn't look out of place there and should be a decent 13th forward when Fast returns. Vesey on the 4th? This is more of a numbers issue with quality wingers ahead of him. Good to know that we have him to step up in case of injuries or anyone underperforming. Though to me these "anyone's" limited to Grabner, Miller or Buch.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
re: Chytil, I don't think he looked lost...he didn't get to control the puck the way he did in preseason but he was around the net for some chances and generally looked alright for his first game with few minutes. Can't expect a guy to step out and look amazing in his first NHL game and like 5 minutes of icetime even if they were more skilled than he is.
Chytil barely got to touch the puck. Rick Nash is sometimes a black hole. Once the puck goes to him its either a weak shot from anywhere or a lost possession trying to go thru 1-3 players. He has some nights where he refuses to pass the puck. Last night was one of them.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah I know a loss sucks. But really a lot of good things came from last night's game. The PP for one, looked really good. Mika had some great shots. I liked Shattenkirks play, although one of the goals against he could have defended better. Deharnias looked really good on both ends, and the Top line looked really good as well. Also liked Nash's game.

Reactions: egelband

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I dont like our PK. We have 3 guys more interested in getting breakaways than killing the penalty. We play a soft zone instead of attacking the puck carriers allowing easy zone entries too often. Our one side overload is so predictable. The cross ice pass will find a wide open man too often. We dont lock up sticks or clear our crease nearly enough.

Yeah I kind of agree. As a whole the Rangers play the front of their net real soft. We complain about Shattenkirk not tying up his guy (though it was kind of a weird play, he's looking for a puck that didn't do a normal thing, etc) but we've seen pretty much every defenseman on the team do that at some point or another. They just don't really collapse on the front of the net the way a lot of teams do. It's possibly an important issue

Buch made a lot of heavy lifting on that first PP goal and overall continued to show assertiveness we saw in preseason. Very happy he is shooting the puck while continuing to set up Zibanejad and Kreider. This line is capable of carrying this team when needed. One blemish was being a moment too late to engage Barrie at the end of the shift. There goes a whole season without a single mistake. :help:

I don't get all the moaning about DD51 getting PP time. That's his specialty. I thought he did just fine.

Similarly, nothing wrong with McD on the second unit. He doesn't need to quarterback it anymore with ADA (and DD) there. His primary responsibility will be to keep the puck in the zone (where he's above average imho).

I liked our 4th line, #28 didn't look out of place there and should be a decent 13th forward when Fast returns. Vesey on the 4th? This is more of a numbers issue with quality wingers ahead of him. Good to know that we have him to step up in case of injuries or anyone underperforming. Though to me these "anyone's" limited to Grabner, Miller or Buch.

Yeah, Buch looked good, like a legit top line winger. Hope he keeps it up.

DD looks good but he should basically never have the puck near the boards because he's so easy to rub out and take the puck away from. Noticed that several times last night, he's just not strong enough at all near the boards and will always lose that battle. 4th line was fine, Vesey looks good so far this year.

Chytil barely got to touch the puck. Rick Nash is sometimes a black hole. Once the puck goes to him its either a weak shot from anywhere or a lost possession trying to go thru 1-3 players. He has some nights where he refuses to pass the puck. Last night was one of them.

I mean I'm not going to say "no way Chytil is great they have to keep him around!" but AV didn't give him nearly enough icetime and slack to settle in. He has to find the kid that icetime next game.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC

Nash's disappointing tenure as a Ranger can't end quickly enough for me.

Reactions: offdacrossbar

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
All those penalties ruined the game for me. If this is what the NHL is becoming....it'll be hard to keep watching this garbage. Bettman can't get out of here fast enough.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Regarding last nights game... disappointing for sure. I thought we outplayed Colorado, the powerplay is the best I can recall seeing in the last 15 years, Varly had a tremendous game, and Chytil...

He proved my concerns valid. I was worried that he looked good in preseason because the game is a bit slower and against lesser players. He looked absolutely lost last night. Give the kid a few more games and barring anything major, send him back. He has all the makings of a star player though.

On Chytil, yeah, and it’s also important to remember that these kids are human. First game ever in the NHL — how much sleep do you get? Your legs can cramp up completely from just nerves. Etc etc etc.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
They're still a "transition team" that can't consistently make tape-to-tape passes or gain the zone with speed, a team that dumps and sort of chases and rarely cycles the puck (seemingly preferring the "swing the puck around the board to no one" method), and a team that spends a lot of time in its own zone chasing people around.

I was at the game so its hard to do any real analysis , but their whole system still looks sloppy as if it was cobbled together using varying and conflicting ideologies.

Reactions: Ail and Ori

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
All those penalties ruined the game for me. If this is what the NHL is becoming....it'll be hard to keep watching this garbage. Bettman can't get out of here fast enough.

It'll calm down. Right now it's a combination of the refs calling it tight and the players not having adjusted. The players will adjust and the refs will loosen up their calls after awhile and the penalties won't be as bad.

It's the downside to when the league lets crap get too bad and then decides they have to have a crackdown. If they just called stuff consistently instead of letting it slide more and more, then we wouldn't have this

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I watched the game from Sloane Kettering and thoroughly enjoyed it with my buddy that's into day 5 of a BMT and feeling like total crap. On my way back I passed Brian Leetch and because it was raining and I hate people that bother players for stuff, I just let him pass. He's 4 years older than me but damn if it doesn't look like he can still play. Anyway, I got a little buyers remorse, my buddy would have loved to see that selfie.

As far as the game goes the Rangers have to shore up that leak in the back of their zone. I don't mean any particular player, just the putrid coverage. It's great the Rangers had a zillion and one chances, but Colorado had way too many as well. The Rangers were not good enough at slowing down the Avalanche from entering the zone.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Throwing a rookie out there in every situation is flat out stupid. Did Chytil even practice on the PP? DD ran the PP in Montreal. He has experience.

With how Chytil looked during the game, it was the right call to not give him PP time. Let him get adjusted.

Definitely, he should just play his regular game. Unfortunately, last night with all the special teams play he was forced to sit a lot, that's ok.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
@NickyFotiu spot on with those last two posts.

I wish I saw ADA have the puck more. He had that really nice rush in the third, but I wanted the PP2 to flow through him more.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I mean I'm not going to say "no way Chytil is great they have to keep him around!" but AV didn't give him nearly enough icetime and slack to settle in. He has to find the kid that icetime next game.

I might put JT Miller on that line instead of Nash to give Chytil more of a chance to play with the puck.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I don`t see us get any pts. in Toronto - they are strong at home and down the middle with generation talent. And this pre season I felt like AV completely missed with several players decisions. And not sure what we are trying to do out there tactically - no urgency from the team. All is fine in Rangers town so it seems.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
@NickyFotiu spot on with those last two posts.

I wish I saw ADA have the puck more. He had that really nice rush in the third, but I wanted the PP2 to flow through him more.

Thank you. I appreciate that. You can have 17 of my likes as payment. :)

ADA is a very polished skater. He did have one flubbed pass but those things happen. Overall I think he will handle the puck more as he becomes more comfortable.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
last nights game was no big deal. too many good things happened. the nerves of the opening night and waiting around contributed. no going to to worry about it. face-offs, pp movement, the play of some of the kids and our ability to create shots were all positives but the same old bugaboo haunts us. no finish and our 5v5 game was blah.

we out shot them and looked like the better team most of the night. varly stole the game.

the bad was the def zone play at times and the pk looked off. oh and of course, RICK NASH continuing to steal money. -1 with 4 "shots" and zero points for the big guy who's thinner and "Ready to go" (no where).

varly outplayed hank and that was the difference right there. henrik wasnt his best but the lanche did play pretty well. thats a talented fast offensive team and we did our usual. NOT CAPITALIZE ON CHANCES. that colo defense is pretty bad.

on to the next one.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I watched the game from Sloane Kettering and thoroughly enjoyed it with my buddy that's into day 5 of a BMT and feeling like total crap. On my way back I passed Brian Leetch and because it was raining and I hate people that bother players for stuff, I just let him pass. He's 4 years older than me but damn if it doesn't look like he can still play. Anyway, I got a little buyers remorse, my buddy would have loved to see that selfie.

Miami you may have made the right decision. Many years ago before Phil Simms became really famous I was at a game with a buddy. Phil Simms was sitting just watching the game like the rest of us in the green seats. I said, "is that Phil Simms" and within 2 minutes he was swarmed by people looking for autographs. I regretted saying anything.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
This is true. He’s not much of a passer. I wonder if he will adapt since his possession game isn’t what it once was.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Miami you may have made the right decision. Many years ago before Phil Simms became really famous I was at a game with a buddy. Phil Simms was sitting just watching the game like the rest of us in the green seats. I said, "is that Phil Simms" and within 2 minutes he was swarmed by people looking for autographs. I regretted saying anything.

That was the other thing I was worried about, when I looked back to make sure it was him. he was walking near no less than 3 people wearing a Leetch jersey, I don't think they had any idea who they were walking with, which in and of itself is hilarious.

Anyway, you're right, if I said,"Brian, can I get a pic?" There would have been 50 people asking for the same in a matter of minutes. It was drizzling and such and I had to make a train and I am sure he had some place to be. I also know from people that have met him in oddball places, like a Boston bar, he's a gracious dude and would have taken a pic with me.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't think our defense is built for shutouts. Outside of Staal, all our d-men can skate and generate offense. We are built to play a fast run-and-gun game. We aren't competing for the Jennings this year, but hopefully out offense can more than make up for our GAA.
That approach has not really worked well. Abandoning defense and hoping to be the Greatest Show on Ice is a recipe for disaster. That said, I do know that is exactly the type of team that AV wants, but again, if Henke is not the best player on the ice, this team does not win. Not with this approach.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They're still a "transition team" that can't consistently make tape-to-tape passes or gain the zone with speed, a team that dumps and sort of chases and rarely cycles the puck (seemingly preferring the "swing the puck around the board to no one" method), and a team that spends a lot of time in its own zone chasing people around.

I was at the game so its hard to do any real analysis , but their whole system still looks sloppy as if it was cobbled together using varying and conflicting ideologies.
That is a pretty good observation of the way that they looked. Couple that with coming out completely flat and a lackadaisical attitude on the defensive side of things (both forwards and defensemen) and you get what you get.

Like I said , one cannot sound the alarm after one game, but there are some things that can be seen now will be an issue. Not to mention that, at least for the first game, AV's vaunted system continues to produce diminishing returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad