GDT: #09 – Sabres at Wild – Tue Nov 1, 8:00PM ET – MSG-B

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I wonder about Pesce from Carolina. He's young, solid, and Carolina is...
1) bad enough that they might take prospects/picks for a player,
2) very very deep on the back end (Faulk, Hanifin, Slavin, Murphy, McKeown, Fleury and Bean in the pipeline)
3) very weak on forwards and in goal...

Plus
4) we have some interesting forward/goalie prospects that could possibly be packaged together (Ullmark, 2017 2nd and one or more of Carrier/Fasching/Baptiste/Rodrigues/Cornel/Hurley?) I understand it's a lot of filler, but Carolina severely lacks talent up front or in net.

I wouldnt be opposed. I'd prefer someone with a little more track record to be sure of my decision. I really wanna nab enstrom and Lowry from the peg in a deal. If we lose enstrom or bogo in expansion oh well we tried and freed up salary and still have a budding power forward center who has shown he can slide up and down a few lines.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I wouldnt be opposed. I'd prefer someone with a little more track record to be sure of my decision. I really wanna nab enstrom and Lowry from the peg in a deal. If we lose enstrom or bogo in expansion oh well we tried and freed up salary and still have a budding power forward center who has shown he can slide up and down a few lines.

But the thing is, a guy like Enstrom is going to cost major assets. Which we really can't afford to give away right now.
Winnipeg doesn't want to trade their ONLY proven LHD.
Pesce costs peanuts in terms of cap, allowing us to use cap elsewhere.
And best of all he's expansion Draft exempt.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
But the thing is, a guy like Enstrom is going to cost major assets. Which we really can't afford to give away right now.
Winnipeg doesn't want to trade their ONLY proven LHD.
Pesce costs peanuts in terms of cap, allowing us to use cap elsewhere.
And best of all he's expansion Draft exempt.

You have me intrigued, but I don't know a ton about Pesce. Regardless, any kind of legit NHL depth for the blueline would be amazing right now. Thought I must say I would prefer a lefty, we have no one beyond the current 3 (Falk? Guhle?)

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
You have me intrigued, but I don't know a ton about Pesce. Regardless, any kind of legit NHL depth for the blueline would be amazing right now. Thought I must say I would prefer a lefty, we have no one beyond the current 3 (Falk? Guhle?)

I think we'll be ok on the left this season with Kulikov/McCabe/Gorges. Look for an addition in the off-season UFA (short-term) or draft (long-term) markets. We also have Guhle slow cooking (mid-term?)

On the right we have good top-end talent in Ristolainen/Bogosian and then Nelson/Borgen. No, I do not count Franson. He shouldn't be allowed to count as anything except his body weight: which this team carries around like an anvil attached to their leg.

To me the idea is to become deep on both sides of the defense. Acquire a #4-#5 guy (Pesce?) on the right, allowing Nelson to be a true 7th d-man, draft a lefty and let that lefty develop within a Guhle to give us strong depth on that side, and ride out Gorges final days on the bottom pair who maybe gets subbed out once in a while.

McCabe-Ristolainen
Kulikov-Bogosian
Gorges-Pesce
----------------
Guhle-Nelson
2017 1st-Borgen

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I wonder about Pesce from Carolina. He's young, solid, and Carolina is...
1) bad enough that they might take prospects/picks for a player,
2) very very deep on the back end (Faulk, Hanifin, Slavin, Murphy, McKeown, Fleury and Bean in the pipeline)
3) very weak on forwards and in goal...

Plus
4) we have some interesting forward/goalie prospects that could possibly be packaged together (Ullmark, 2017 2nd and one or more of Carrier/Fasching/Baptiste/Rodrigues/Cornel/Hurley?) I understand it's a lot of filler, but Carolina severely lacks talent up front or in net.

If there's a deal centered around Moulson I jump all over adding a younger, draft exempt, #4-5 D, even if he never projects much higher. Can we retain salary for 2016? Retain the maximum to get Carolina talking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad