Pre-Game Talk: 05/03/2013 Islanders at Penguins: I'm not obsessed with Sid, my F5 key is just stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Excited to join #TeamMoGo with @Kaepernick7 and @MoGoSport! onforb.es/18cI6y7
http://twitter.com/malkin71_/statuses/330035587291680768

)))))

my team's QB and my team's Russian super-star. this my friends is targeted marketing.

Malkin and Kaepernick are now officially “brand ambassadors” for the flavored mouthguard brand, which means that they will be actively involved in MoGo Sport’s marketing efforts domestically and internationally, in traditional media and digital/social media. Additionally, they will help raise awareness about the importance of mouthguard protection to youth athletes. Malkin’s favorite flavor is lemon, while Kaepernick’s is fruit punch, but both athletes are big fans of MoGo Sport’s product.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Man I am so tired of reading Shelly Anderson/Josh Yohe tweets and speculation. Sometimes I think it was better to be a fan in the 90s and just wait for the next day's paper.

It's amazing how people who follow a team so closely can have so little insider information about said team.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
It's amazing how people who follow a team so closely can have so little insider information about said team.

I like to imagine that Mario once walked in on the whole damned lot of them attempting to snort cocaine off of Steigy's chest, and made the decision then and there to cut them all off.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
it would be nice if they acted like professional journalists.. and built up relationships with their sources. Over time become respected. Then they might receive good information that is worthy to report. And avoid dressing up like bushes or trash cans in the parking lot.. and speculating. "Malkin left his car keys inside.. Ohhhhh Concussion???"

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I find it funny that opinions about MAF like this:

XXXX said:
I did notice them missing the net continually. It frustrated me to no end. It was obvious to me that Fleury was not on his game one bit -- he was juggling pucks and flopping the few times the Isles had good chances.

He's the sole reason that the Isles have any glimmer of hope. He's a joke of a goalie and will prove it this post-season. Book it.

...still are easily found. the guy had a pretty good season and just had his sixth career playoff shutout, has won a cup, has been an Olympian, and is still pretty young, and yet people act like his playoff performance last year is how he plays every night... Its almost comical... Id never wish straight shutouts on any team, but it would serve some of those fans right if he steamrolled them every night..... maybe then he would get a little respect.

He has won far more games with spectacular play than he has ever lost with sub-par performances in his career... For a team that has neglected defense a lot during his tenure here, he is probably the best fit at goalie they could hope for...

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

...still are easily found. the guy had a pretty good season and just had his sixth career playoff shutout, has won a cup, has been an Olympian, and is still pretty young, and yet people act like his playoff performance last year is how he plays every night... Its almost comical... Id never wish straight shutouts on any team, but it would serve some of those fans right if he steamrolled them every night..... maybe then he would get a little respect.

He has won far more games with spectacular play than he has ever lost with sub-par performances in his career... For a team that has neglected defense a lot during his tenure here, he is probably the best fit at goalie they could hope for...

Fleury is in the definition of a lose-lose situation. When the team does well it's always because "the team is so loaded with talent" and when they struggle it's always because "Fleury is the worst goalie in the league".

I swear he could record 16 shutouts in the playoffs, win the Conn Smythe, and people would still go "yeah, but he only got that award because of the team". It's a huge double-standard: apparently the team is only a factor when they're doing well, but when losing it's all on the Fleury.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
i don't know why opposing fans get so worked up about MAF. they expend so much effort trashing him. he isn't an obnoxious tool like Mike Smith, he doesn't throw hissy-fits like Tuukka Rask, he doesn't engage in uninformed political commentary like Timmy Thomas, he isn't constantly being foisted upon opposing fans in hypothetical transactions like Luongo. he's a harmless goof-ball and if he's inconsistent, that's the pens problem.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
Just from reading all these quotes and tweets i think the story makes some sense.

Sid's doctor informed him he was healed (from Sid's own statements) but not wanting to assume liability over him returning earlier then they had originally stated. I would guess that they had set an original time frame (5 weeks maybe?) and wanted to stick to it. In the event that Sid got reinjured in game 1 or 2, the doctor probably didn't want to be held liable. Complicated thing those steel jaws.

I don't think there will need to be another visit, just them waiting out the remaining days. Thats my theory right now. I am a professional internet doctor :naughty: I'm ready to work for the Trib now

There is no way that you would be able to hold Sid back if he is told that he could play. And since medical malpractice is prohibitively expensive (actually almost impossible to get if you treat professional athletes) there is no way that the doctor is going to clear him before he's ready, particularly when the determination is based on objective evidence.

The regular team docs see them at least every other day during the playoffs (and travel with the team on road trips). It's quite possible that the regular docs will take x-rays periodically (they have x-ray machines in the locker room) and send them to the maxillofacial surgeon to review how the healing is progressing. There might not need to be another visit if they are only waiting for the bone to heal a bit more and that determination can be made via x-ray. (Although I doubt the surgeon would be amenable to giving him the green light without an in person appointment, because if he makes the wrong decision his liability will be in the 9-figures).

The Trib - heck, we could all write for the NY Times at this point. Aim higher my friend. :laugh:

Sideline

May 23, 2004

I want to preface this post by saying Fleury has been very good this year and played well last game. With that out of the way...

MAF has completely **** the bed in multiple playoff series including the literal worst statistical series in NHL history. I have nothing bad to say about his game this year. I have MANY bad memories about him from prior years.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
it would be nice if they acted like professional journalists.. and built up relationships with their sources. Over time become respected. Then they might receive good information that is worthy to report. And avoid dressing up like bushes or trash cans in the parking lot.. and speculating. "Malkin left his car keys inside.. Ohhhhh Concussion???"

... and then the other newspaper calls it early onset alzheimer's. :laugh:

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
i don't know why opposing fans get so worked up about MAF. they expend so much effort trashing him. he isn't an obnoxious tool like Mike Smith, he doesn't throw hissy-fits like Tuukka Rask, he doesn't engage in uninformed political commentary like Timmy Thomas, he isn't constantly being foisted upon opposing fans in hypothetical transactions like Luongo. he's a harmless goof-ball and if he's inconsistent, that's the pens problem.

Probably the best summary of the situation I have seen.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Part of the reason why people rag on MAF's playoff performance has something to due with his .880 save% over his previous 26 playoff games. Also has a current streak of 4 straight sub .900 save% series. He had two of the worst series performances of the post 2005 lockout era in the Montreal and most recent Flyer series. Criticism of his play is not out of the line. Any other goalie with this sort of resume over the last handful of years would be similarly derided, just look at Luongo for an example of it and he was never as bad as Fleury was during that time frame.

BeauKnows19

Mar 28, 2012
New Jersey
I agree that he should get criticism for the past few years, but other teams fans just refuse to give him credit for playing a good game. And they think its impossible for him to turn around. I've heard so many interviews of players/analysts who know that Fleury will play better this year. We all know how bad he was last year and the years before, but I'm fully expecting him to turn into 08 Fleury, and carry this team on his back as he has at times this year. I just hope he gets recognition for once.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Part of the reason why people rag on MAF's playoff performance has something to due with his .880 save% over his previous 26 playoff games. Also has a current streak of 4 straight sub .900 save% series. He had two of the worst series performances of the post 2005 lockout era in the Montreal and most recent Flyer series. Criticism of his play is not out of the line. Any other goalie with this sort of resume over the last handful of years would be similarly derided, just look at Luongo for an example of it and he was never as bad as Fleury was during that time frame.

No, but acting like he singlehandedly played the Pens out of the playoffs in any series, including the one against Philly last year, is.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
I've often thought about getting a mouthgard for posting on message boards (you can never be too careful). But I hate that rubbery taste it puts my mouth, it's so distracting. Thanks TeamMogo!

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
This shows, clearer than anything IMO, that most Pens anti-fans are motivated more by jealousy over a sense of the Pens possessing undeserved riches than anything close to a reasonable reaction to the behavior of said player or team. How could anyone not like Fleury?

At least people who hate Crosby can regurgitate this old (albeit monstrously flawed) and oft repeated narrative of him being a whiner and a diver, and having no personality.

Feb 12, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
No, but acting like he singlehandedly played the Pens out of the playoffs in any series, including the one against Philly last year, is.

Exactly. Paul Martin and our entire defense crapped the bed. Any goalie put in the situation that he was would have let in just as many goals. It's so easy to blame the goalie, but no one cares that our defense was so hell bent on not playing physical and using these chip backhands to clear the zone, that they would just end up turning it over half the time. MAF had a bad series last year, but he's still a great goalie. Stop giving more credit to goalies who haven't made it to the finals let alone won a cup.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Exactly. Paul Martin and our entire defense crapped the bed. Any goalie put in the situation that he was would have let in just as many goals. It's so easy to blame the goalie, but no one cares that our defense was so hell bent on not playing physical and using these chip backhands to clear the zone, that they would just end up turning it over half the time. MAF had a bad series last year, but he's still a great goalie. Stop giving more credit to goalies who haven't made it to the finals let alone won a cup.

This.

I find it rather funny that a guy like Price, who has only been past the first round once in his career I believe, is praised as one of the best goalies in the league, yet Fleury went to back-to-back finals, won a Cup, and is relentlessly bashed. The really funny part is Price's stats aren't even that much better, if they are at all.

And what did guys like Lundqvist and Rinne ever do besides put up good regular season stats?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
This.

I find it rather funny that a guy like Price, who has only been past the first round once in his career I believe, is praised as one of the best goalies in the league, yet Fleury went to back-to-back finals, won a Cup, and is relentlessly bashed. The really funny part is Price's stats aren't even that much better, if they are at all.

And what did guys like Lundqvist and Rinne ever do besides put up good regular season stats?

How about quick..He single handedly led his team to the playoffs. Oviously the team around him played good to but still. I still do feel a little scared with fleury in net. Sure the defence didnt show up but he let in soft goals that just rolled by him a couple of times. I really hope he rebounds.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
How about quick..He single handedly led his team to the playoffs. Oviously the team around him played good to but still. I still do feel a little scared with fleury in net. Sure the defence didnt show up but he let in soft goals that just rolled by him a couple of times. I really hope he rebounds.

Guess what - Quick has let some bad softies in too. Remember that goal in Detroit he let roll in past him with about 4 seconds left in regulation? Happens to all goalies from time to time.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
The HF Fleury obsession is out of control. There's a thread about how bad Price is in the playoffs and Fleury has already been mentioned multiple times. :laugh:

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
The HF Fleury obsession is out of control. There's a thread about how bad Price is in the playoffs and Fleury has already been mentioned multiple times. :laugh:

It's because there's no middle ground. One side says he's garbage and then there are those on the other side that claim he's an elite goalie. I don't think either has been true up to this point. He's been an average to above average starter with consistency issues. That's about it in my opinion. If he wasn't a #1 pick playing for the Pens I doubt anyone would be talking about him much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad