Pre-Game Talk: 05/03/2013 Islanders at Penguins: I'm not obsessed with Sid, my F5 key is just stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I think that after watching the two of them play this season it's kind of disingenuous to say that Vokoun outplayed Fleury and just base it on stats. Fleury was pretty consistently solid all year long and Vokoun had some monstrous games and some really, really ****** ones. He was so bad for a period of time that some people here (the melodramatic ones, given) actually wanted the Pens to cut him loose.

He must have been pretty good in all the other games then.

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
When the team is playing well and no one is complaining about the forward line combos, there is only one thing left for this board to do: Worry and sweat over hypothetical Fleury meltdowns.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Get off Twitter? That's uh.. a quick fix to your problem?
I'm not on Twitter. Every other post in these threads is a Twitter quote from one of those clowns.

Not that I'm bashing the people who do that. (IcedCapp, you're awesome). I just hate everyone in the PGH media except Molinari.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm not on Twitter. Every other post in these threads is a Twitter quote from one of those clowns.

Not that I'm bashing the people who do that. (IcedCapp, you're awesome). I just hate everyone in the PGH media except Molinari.

You make a valid point.

I am awesome...

Just kidding. I'll limit my twitter reports to @Penguins and @Molinari. It's the right thing to do. Those are the two I trust the most, as well, and I can just consult my friends Jack and Bud for all of my neurotic issues.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Getting ready to head to Pittsburgh. Pumped! Lower bowl this time. :nod:

EDIT: Forgot to add OMG IS SID GOING TO PLAY OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG I HOPE HE PLAYS PLEASE PLAY SID OMG

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
to be honest, other than picking up the load of playing 2/3 of the games, Flower and Vokoun played pretty equally this season.

Vokoun had that horrible 4 or 5 game stretch back in January and then Flower really stepped it up in Feb. and March which was nice, but overall both played equally well this season I'd say.

Here's hoping Fleury has a great playioff run, even though it will do nothing to shut people up.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Our defense was awful, but elite goalies bail out the defense every once in a while. I know that he's won a lot of games for us, including a Cup, but I never see Fleury as the type of goalie who could go on a Conn Smythe-type run. I'm still nervous with him in net.

In 2007-08, he was a lock for Conn Smythe if the Pens had won the Cup.

Chiquito

Oct 7, 2007
Guayaquil, Ecuador
He must have been pretty good in all the other games then.

I saw two games ..... One with Philadelphia. and one with Montreal ...... that I would of stopped some of the shots that went in..... Vokoun in those two games was BRUTAL. He went for about a two week period where I was sure the Penguins were going to lose if he was in Net. I am glad he worked his way out of the funk because he was an important part of the success of the Penguins but he - in no way - out played Fleury this year. Fleury has been GREAT

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Our defense was awful, but elite goalies bail out the defense every once in a while. I know that he's won a lot of games for us, including a Cup, but I never see Fleury as the type of goalie who could go on a Conn Smythe-type run. I'm still nervous with him in net.

very true. but note the "once in a while part" that doesn't mean a bunch of golden scoring opportunities a game.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Sid hasn't been officially ruled out for tonight, correct?

Nope. And, if what I've heard is correct, the players have been told not to give the press updates on injuries. That could explain why Crosby practiced on a line and the top PP yesterday but responded with "no change".

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Fleury was outplayed by Vokoun this season. Vokoun finished with a higher SV% (16th), EVSV% (2nd) and shutout rate (1st). If you care about wins as a goalie metric (I don't), Vokoun had a slightly higher winning % as well. Aside from last season when Johnson's warranty ran out, the difference in starting and backup goaltending has been razor thin in every area except salary cap hit. He should be significantly outplaying his backups and that is my expectation of him. Calling him an above average goalie is rather generous since his numbers are practically the definition of league average goaltending and his playoff performance needs significant improvement from the past 3 seasons.

This is the problem with hockey fans trying to evaluate goaltending.

to be honest, other than picking up the load of playing 2/3 of the games, Flower and Vokoun played pretty equally this season.

Vokoun had that horrible 4 or 5 game stretch back in January and then Flower really stepped it up in Feb. and March which was nice, but overall both played equally well this season I'd say.

Here's hoping Fleury has a great playioff run, even though it will do nothing to shut people up.

Fleury detractors will never shut up. They will always be there. They will be silenced, but once Fleury has a bad stretch of games, they will be back in full force.

Fleury could win the Vezina and people will give a slew of reasons why he doesn't deserve it. I've never seen such a genuinely good guy be so polarizing with fans amongst his own fanbase.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Nope. And, if what I've heard is correct, the players have been told not to give the press updates on injuries. That could explain why Crosby practiced on a line and the top PP yesterday but responded with "no change".

If Sid doesn't skate with Kadar sometime in the next 45 mins, I think he plays tonight

shizno*

Feb 28, 2012
You guys...damnit...just damnit. Fleury and Vokoun both had great seasons, yes both had the odd bad game but Vokoun did speak up in the locker room after the Philly meltdown which led us into that bad ass streak...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1371555

Remember...this was the time when the 'team had quit on DB' and his firing was 'imminent' on this board. Oh and the team was full of gutless cowards who should all be waived, except Strait because he was the savior etc etc

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
I've never seen such a genuinely good guy be so polarizing with fans amongst his own fanbase.

QFT.

I think the fact that he got a shutout in game 1 and in the game 2 pre-game thread people are bashing him pretty much sums it up. It's sad really.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
This is the problem with hockey fans trying to evaluate goaltending.

Fleury detractors will never shut up. They will always be there. They will be silenced, but once Fleury has a bad stretch of games, they will be back in full force.

Fleury could win the Vezina and people will give a slew of reasons why he doesn't deserve it. I've never seen such a genuinely good guy be so polarizing with fans amongst his own fanbase.
I think Fleury's had a very good season and there's certainly no reason to complain about the way he's playing right now, but let's not get carried away. Many of the criticisms directed towards Fleury over the years have absolutely been fair. He has had consistency issues. He does have trouble handling the puck. He does have a tendency to overplay shots. These aren't just things people say to be mean. Nobody is rooting against Fleury. To do so would be to root for the team's failure.

All that said, anyone that has a problem with the way Fleury has played this year needs to get a grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad