Post-Game Talk (GBU): #03 - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly -- I like Eich II

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Maybe we did win the lottery. :yo:

G: I just love our forward group. Eichel at the top of list obviously. I didn't think it would only take 6 months since being the worst team in hockey history to completely dominate a team like Columbus, very impressive. A very complete game from the whole team. I even liked Weber and Franson today. McCabe needs to stay up if he still has a mouth.

B: I don't know. Not much. The PK does scare me I guess. I think Myers covered up a lot of issues with it over the years. Bogo might help that as well though.

U: The refs. To start out, kudos for calling like 9 penalties on Columbus. All deserved. Then we started scoring on the PP and all of sudden here came the makeup calls. All very suspect.

Shmuffalo

Brad May's Stand In
Feb 13, 2008
New York
Man, it's so much fun actually rooting for the Sabres. Obviously, the last two years most of us weren't hoping for wins. I missed jumping up and getting pumped when the Sabres won.

O'Reilly looked dominant. Eichel looked like a seasoned vet. Ennis looked good, but is trying too much finesse, and while he's still great at possessing the puck and commanding the corner board, he needs to create/finish.

Super happy with Risto and Pysyk too.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I wasn't at all impressed with Larsson today.

There was a play, on the far wall, where he had a chance to get to the puck along the boards, with a Columbus player, and he pulled up, looking like he clearly wanted nothing to do with the physicality of the play at hand.

I've witnessed much better out of him.

I was going to mention this play. I guess I am not surprised someone else mentioned it because it was pretty glaring.

I was disappointed with his play this game even before the mentioned play. He seemed slow, which didn't put him in position to battle for the puck.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Anyone else feel like Girgensons was shying away from significant contact today? He was finishing his hits with board hugs rather than his usual thumping style...maybe it just noticed a few off plays though..

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
Anyone else feel like Girgensons was shying away from significant contact today? He was finishing his hits with board hugs rather than his usual thumping style...maybe it just noticed a few off plays though..

I was at the game today and Girgensons took a beating. He sacrifices his body to make plays. Just love his game.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Girgensons got smoked with a hit in the corner early in the game. I want to say it was Johnson who hit him. It's been an issue with him since the USHL. I went to a lot of Amerks games his rookie season because of the lockout and he had a highlight reel check against him in nearly every game.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

lol

Ironic that this post comes after the first game in which he really got knocked around. Took several hits to make plays - more than usual.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Girgensons got smoked with a hit in the corner early in the game. I want to say it was Johnson who hit him. It's been an issue with him since the USHL. I went to a lot of Amerks games his rookie season because of the lockout and he had a highlight reel check against him in nearly every game.

I caught the game in Syracuse when he sustained a nasty concussion. I love his style, but self-preservation needs to enter the equation too. Keep that head on a swivel, Zemgus.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Good: watching the game in reply tonight. Watched the highlights this morning. Wow. Great to win and not check the standings in hopes that the Sabres were still in last place.

Bad: Didn't watch the game. 13 hours ahead.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
G- Win!
-Johnson, he looked capable. Not bad considering how long he was out due to injury
-defense seemed better with McCabe/Pysyk pairing.
-goals
-the powerplay

B- the swarm maneuver they used in front of Johnson

Nothing really ugly

Foligno17

SabresFan since 1971
Jul 2, 2011
Grand Fenwick (NC)
Good
- Eichel already looks like a star at 18. Two perfect career shots and two career goals
- O'Reilly with a good game from start to finish
- Moulson with a great pass to O'Reilly and a shot just inside the post
- McCabe looking like he belongs
- Ristolainen with two points
- Deslauries with a couple of energy plays I noticed
- Kane actually passed the puck a couple of times but the forecheck didn't suffer

Bad
- Franson...I finally saw what the haters were seeing...He got caught reaching. Now -4

Ugly
- Afinogennis...The nickname is brilliant. The stick handling and flopping wasn't.
- Deslauries getting his head smashed into the glass repeatedly during that fight.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
God damn Ristolainen. You looked the part this game.

This after I told a guy that Risto might not be the best Fantasy option at this time and not expect too much offense out of the guy right now.

I also said Moulson should be on the 4th line...

Let's see who else should I downplay...Franson? Kane? Legwand? :laugh:

Strexvale

Mar 8, 2007
West Seneca, NY
I'm not sure if it's his age or if he's trying to have a new thing, like the population of Pominville and lalalalala and such. Maybe it's Yeichel, as in "Yikes, that was a good play!"

Or maybe I'm giving him too much credit...

Yeah it's definitely a play on Yikes. As in "Yeichel (Yikes) it's Eichel!" It could work if there's some sort of phrase to go with it. Just going "Yeichel!" sounds like he's mispronouncing it.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Good
- Eichel already looks like a star at 18. Two perfect career shots and two career goals
- O'Reilly with a good game from start to finish
- Moulson with a great pass to O'Reilly and a shot just inside the post
- McCabe looking like he belongs
- Ristolainen with two points
- Deslauries with a couple of energy plays I noticed
- Kane actually passed the puck a couple of times but the forecheck didn't suffer

Bad
- Franson...I finally saw what the haters were seeing...He got caught reaching. Now -4

Ugly
- Afinogennis...The nickname is brilliant. The stick handling and flopping wasn't.
- Deslauries getting his head smashed into the glass repeatedly during that fight.

And an even rating last night, so the "Now -4" shouldn't be part of the bad for last game. Franson is clearly our new whipping boy, warranted or not. For 2 games he sucked, I fully agree. But yesterday he was very good offensively and didn't make many big blunders defensively, overall played a good game. Yet I see multiple of these....unless I missed all the bad plays he made yesterday?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Moulson's assist on ROR's goal was choice.

What was beautiful about that play is that last year, Moulson would have felt like he needed to shoot that. This year, he can trust his line mates to put the puck in the net.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
And an even rating last night, so the "Now -4" shouldn't be part of the bad for last game. Franson is clearly our new whipping boy, warranted or not. For 2 games he sucked, I fully agree. But yesterday he was very good offensively and didn't make many big blunders defensively, overall played a good game. Yet I see multiple of these....unless I missed all the bad plays he made yesterday?

I agree with you, for the rate that the Sabres have him locked in, I will take the flaws that come with his game for an AAV of 3.35M. He's 28, and he adds a plus in his passing and while he's not "fast" he does enough good to outweigh the bad. I mean really, last year Buffalo had Meszaros, Strachan and Benoit for 70 games. He's an upgrade on every one of them and it's not close. You can only hope that Pysyk continues to improve.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Good:
Ristolainen, his shot from the point was stellar. He paced the play well and his game finally is back in gear. Easily the best defensemen leaps and bounds over the other 5. Can we clone him 2 more times.
O'Reilly - He cycled very well, his skating and face off work is continuing to improve with each game. He was amazing on the PK. The pass back door to Moulson was great.
Moulson - He played like he did with the Islanders tonight, and he was poised and around the net in the right positions. His passing is showing up more as he has line mates to knock it home as others have shown.
Eichel - The steal off his chipped up pass, and the blast at an off angle was beautiful. He's working hard.
McCabe - He did a lot of good things in his time before the high stick. Easily could be playing in the top 4, if he continues to play that type of hockey. Get healthy!
Johnson - Read the puck a lot better, and just solid.
A win against a playoff team!

Bad -
I guess you could point out Ennis, but really it's fine.
I will give Franson the benefit of the doubt.

Ugly -
??? Crickets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad