GDT: #03 | New York Islanders vs. Toronto Maple Leafs | Jan 24 | W 7-4

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Leafs fan coming in peace:

Your team deserved to win tonight, the islanders outplayed the leafs for the majority. Bad goaltending, and a poor team work ethic cost us the game, no excuses, just have to get preped for the rangers on saturday.

As for Phaneuf, he's the type of player that is a questionable hitter, some of hits are clean but theres also equal that are dirty/headshots, the guy needs to cool it because hes being too vicious out there.

Thank you for being the good example of a Leafs' fan. :handclap:

Just saw the hit again a bit ago and it did more than raise my eyebrow. Phaneuf is an "opportunistic dirty hitter" in my opinion; he may not always go looking for it, but if he's readying for a hit and someone does something to make themselves that extra bit more vulnerable, he'll use more follow through, almost as if he recognizes that it could be called a "hockey play."

Regardless, cheers - still much more hockey to be played. Hopefully some of those "fans" over on your board get their rabies shots and realize that tonight was an end result of a difference in effort and that even the Islanders deserve respect. :)

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009

dion phaneuf IS an NHL star. you might not like that fact.....but he is.
a "franchise player" cant get hit? iginla never got hit? yzerman never got hit? taylor, hall, nash, ovechkin, stamkos, seguin, crosby, malkin.....arent allowed to be hit?
just keep that thought in mind when martin hits zajac, or some other islanders player ( who is not a "star" ) hits some other teams "franchise" player.

you won't see martin running away from answering the bell, ever

And yet Phaneuf still took liberties WHILE CARKNER WAS ON THE ICE.

I'm sorry but the arguments for goonery are absolutely asinine.

Having said that, Carkner has shown to be a legit 3rd pairing dmen without his other "skills" being taken into account.

carkner (and okposo) went after phaneuf after the goal. you can't really fault carkner for not doing another boyle incident and getting suspended for 10 games.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
AMac + Hamonic with 29+ minutes in a regulation game. Think this may be the year where they really establish themselves as a quality first pairing.
We are going to have to find a better third pairing to share the load. In a short season like this you will burn them out playing that much every game. We will see if they have any legs tonight?:shakehead I expect us to look like Toronto did last night. We'll come out flying in the first and run out of gas halfway through.

Pnut

I swear, after two games, everyone had already pegged the Pens to win the cup.

One game later...

Untitled.png

Gotta love hockey.
After a game here it was already around here "this team" and so on.

Thats why they play the games.

This team will do good this season. They (management) got enough guys in FA and on the waiver wire, some of those guys will work out. Heck we only lost PAP smear. An improving Okposo and Boyes can more than make up for that.

This team will make the playoffs.

Hyphistos

Jul 16, 2012
Vienna
We are going to have to find a better third pairing to share the load. In a short season like this you will burn them out playing that much every game. We will see if they have any legs tonight?:shakehead I expect us to look like Toronto did last night. We'll come out flying in the first and run out of gas halfway through.

The probability for this is pretty high, I guess. I had similar thoughts. On the other hand, the Islanders have surprised me positively so far, so for now I will stop being pessimistic until there is again reason for being it *g*

BaileyToOkposo

Feb 2, 2009
Long Island
for what? doing his job?
if tavares didnt bend/lean towards the boards with dion right on his ass, the hit wouldnt even be talked about. tavares was the one that made that an ugly play.

His back was turned the whole time. Was an easy boarding call. The guys a good player but very dirty also. Blaming it on tavares is a joke

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005

:laugh:

He's not a star - he's the girl with the curl. He's like the running back who gets you 120 yards on 20 carries while fumbling 3 times and missing the blitz pickup. The fact that he's not a winning player is hardly subtle. Stars don't get acquired for Ian White, Nik Hagman and Jamal Mayers. I mean, could we get Weber for Andrew MacDonald, Josh Bailey, and ... oh gosh, we don't have anyone comparable to Jamal Mayers. darn.

Cheers,

Dan-o

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I love the outrage from leaf fans..'how could we lose to them'?:laugh:

As if Toronto is some powerhouse.

Isles really need Vis asap, to avoid burning out Streit/Hamonic/MacDonald.

StumpNYI

Sep 10, 2010
Wheres the picture of the Rangers in last?

Good point. They were supposed to win the cup before any games were played.

Just pointing out that there is so much more to hockey then skill on paper. Yes the pens and rags are much better, but I laugh at the people who jump to conclusions and then shut their mouths after they actually see the team on the ice. It feels good to be the underdogs sometimes.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

a "franchise player" cant get hit? iginla never got hit? yzerman never got hit? taylor, hall, nash, ovechkin, stamkos, seguin, crosby, malkin.....arent allowed to be hit?
just keep that thought in mind when martin hits zajac, or some other islanders player ( who is not a "star" ) hits some other teams "franchise" player.

It was a hit from behind. Tavares had his back to him the entire play except the one time when he looked over his shoulder. Hitting a player into the boards in that position is not a hockey play. The hockey play would be to pin Tavares against the boards and battle him for the puck. It was an opportunistic dirty play. I agree with Caustic in that I don't believe Phaneuf premeditates going out looking to hurt players, but he sure takes advantage of the opportunity to do so when he's presented with one. He needs a beating.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Leafs fan coming in peace:

Your team deserved to win tonight, the islanders outplayed the leafs for the majority. Bad goaltending, and a poor team work ethic cost us the game, no excuses, just have to get preped for the rangers on saturday.

As for Phaneuf, he's the type of player that is a questionable hitter, some of hits are clean but theres also equal that are dirty/headshots, the guy needs to cool it because hes being too vicious out there.

It was kind of an off night for both goalies if you ask me, but I will be rooting for you guys when you play against the Ranjerks!

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
His back was turned the whole time. Was an easy boarding call. The guys a good player but very dirty also. Blaming it on tavares is a joke
I agree about the hit, but Phaneuf is not a dirty player. Look at all his huge hits the last few years, he doesn't run around throwing cheap shots. Pretty much every physical player has a borderline hit every so often (like last night), but that doesn't make him dirty.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I agree about the hit, but Phaneuf is not a dirty player. Look at all his huge hits the last few years, he doesn't run around throwing cheap shots. Pretty much every physical player has a borderline hit every so often (like last night), but that doesn't make him dirty.

Phaneuf has a sketchy history with the Isles. He blindsided JT last year, and a couple years ago charged Okposo in a PRESEASON game.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Damn, it feels good beating the Leafs. I agree with Crew: how can Leafs' fans be shocked about this outcome? They have been just as terrible as us for the last 10 years or so. I can understand a Wings fan saying it since we seem to have their number, but the Leafs? Come on.

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town

This team will do good this season. They (management) got enough guys in FA and on the waiver wire, some of those guys will work out. Heck we only lost PAP smear. An improving Okposo and Boyes can more than make up for that.

Chill with that.

I saw the game last night too and it was one of the most enjoyable games I've watched in a long time. That said, the Leafs are AWFUL. Their goaltending is worse than awful. Let's see what this team can do against a real team... starting with tonight.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled we are 2-1 instead of 1-2 or 0-3 at this point but just look back to last year where we started 3-1. Or even the year before with the 4-1-2 start.

An absolute TON has to break our way to get into the playoffs.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012

PAP is very replaceable and i like him but other than his ability to pass on the PP and in the O-Zone he doesnt give you all that much. I really like what i see from Aucoin and Boyes so far. Aucoin unlike PA is fast and plays very well defensively. He has alot of heart like PA and the intangibles are there. One mistake Aucoin made last night was on that two on one breakaway. He had to shoot the puck rather than try and pass to McDonald. Boyes is also a smooth skater, is on the NYI #1 PP, plays well Defensively, and im surprised that he has this good vision. Boyes also has good hands and i see him as a 20 goal scorer if the ice time is permitted. I know Boyes was awful last season but he never really got a chance to play. Something tells me the NYI are gonna have to ante up if they want to keep him long term. If he continues to play as well as he did last night then he will have plenty of suitors. Hopefully his loyalty will rest with NY.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Chill with that.

I saw the game last night too and it was one of the most enjoyable games I've watched in a long time. That said, the Leafs are AWFUL. Their goaltending is worse than awful. Let's see what this team can do against a real team... starting with tonight.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled we are 2-1 instead of 1-2 or 0-3 at this point but just look back to last year where we started 3-1. Or even the year before with the 4-1-2 start.

An absolute TON has to break our way to get into the playoffs.

I second this. Even with the additions of Bailey, Vis, and JJ the playoffs will be a tough feat for this flawed team. I'm wondering how Nabby will shoulder the burden of a tight schedule, age isn't on his side. The defense (with Vis) is avg. same for the offense. I'll be the first to admit if I'm wrong come April, but this is another bottom-5 team, albeit much to my chagrin.

Some other notes from the first few games:

I cannot fathom why Finley is still playing, he's a redundancy with Carkner, and frankly, Carkner is more reliable. Hickey deserves a chance, so does Marty.

Concerned about AMac and Hammer burning out. Ideally these are second pairing D men, on the Isles they are thrust into first pairing+ minutes.

Would like to see Cizikas and McDonald in Bridge when Bailey/JJ play.

Martin looks like a more well-rounded player, Mike Rupp David Clarkson mold; he's developed nicely.

Loving Ullstrom, IMO he can develop into a premier 3rd liner.

JT looks a bit 'off,' if you will. Perhaps due to re-adjusting to the smaller surface, perhaps due to a lack of a playmaker on that line (ala PAP). Imagine what he could do with elite talent on his line.

Hats off to Grabner, and overall that 2nd line. Do we finally have some depth scoring?

MTK

Sep 26, 2007
West Islip
I love the outrage from leaf fans..'how could we lose to them'?:laugh:

As if Toronto is some powerhouse.

Isles really need Vis asap, to avoid burning out Streit/Hamonic/MacDonald.

I found that funny as well that Leafs fan saying "how could we lose to the Islanders". Some of them are living in their own bubble I guess since 1967

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I like the positivity but this team is not making the playoffs. We pieced our team from waivers and will not make it in the long haul.

If we do great but its the Islanders.

I wouldn't say that we will, especially this early, but I'm just happy that there is some optimism on this board for once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad