GDT: #03 | New York Islanders vs. Toronto Maple Leafs | Jan 24 | W 7-4

Neverlose

Aug 23, 2011
NY
Law...Dude...Have to apologize for not reading your GDT earlier. Wow man that was hilarious. Brilliant. I'm not kidding.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Finley is just awful on defense. Strait looks like our number 3, with the way he brings a little physicality to an all-around smart game. A bigger A-Mac as someone else stated. Great pick-up. I think you'll see Hickey get his first start Sunday- they'll want Finley in against the Bruins tomorrow, you would think...

I was wondering when you'd mention that. Any idea why he is still in? I understand the need for size but he can't skate with NHL players, not good or even average ones anyway. That's a pretty big problem for a defenseman.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
On the Phrankenstein vs. Tavares hit, I just saw the replay on PB. Whether you are in the "dirty hit" or "not dirty hit" camp, you have to wonder how Dion runs away from answering the bell, coughs up the puck to avoid being a man, and the puck winds up in the net, and he won't hear it from his team tomorrow. That's about as un-Cherry hockey as it gets. It was nice to see Carkner stick up for John. Hopefully Okposo took notes.

Anyone think there will ever come a time that someone on this club will step up and take Dion out for the stuff he has pulled? It is still an unsettled score, and the fact he is such a gutless chicken, always shirking big players but taking on smaller guys.

Nice to see Boyes possibly making a home on the second unit. Keep him there and get John a real wing and I am much happier.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Last edited:

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
And yet Phaneuf still took liberties WHILE CARKNER WAS ON THE ICE.

I'm sorry but the arguments for goonery are absolutely asinine.

Having said that, Carkner has shown to be a legit 3rd pairing dmen without his other "skills" being taken into account.

Carkner should have still dropped Phaneuf. Next time.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Carkner should have still dropped Phaneuf. Next time.

Don't waste a defenseman. Send Boulton after him.

I'd actually like to see Matt Martin take him out. He is still a bit of an unknown so Dion might be willing to drop them.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
The Dion needs to ****ing pay. He paid on the scoring sheet tonight. Next time he should pay with a fist to his face. No need to run him and resort to his gutless tactics. Just pummel him.

snizzbone*

You guys are taking this a little too far.. it was a hockey play, not some attack on your star player. Phaneuf isn't some goon who goes after your star players, news flash, hes one of our star players. Sorry your player got shaken up from being taken hard into the boards.

Glad you guys have Carkner aka Orr's human punching bag. I'm sure those two will drop em next time.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Dion should be the object of scorn and ridicule for his embarassing giveaway. Saw a hit coming, so he just flipped the puck into the slot and ran away. Pathetic.

That is all. ;)

giddy up*

You guys are taking this a little too far.. it was a hockey play, not some attack on your star player. Phaneuf isn't some goon who goes after your star players, news flash, hes one of our star players. Sorry your player got shaken up from being taken hard into the boards.

Glad you guys have Carkner aka Orr's human punching bag. I'm sure those two will drop em next time.

Hmm. Funny. If Carkner is a human punching bag why did Dion run from him like a little princess?

Sorry to hear that you consider Phaneuf a "star" player but the fact is he is dirty and has done this many times.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Don't we still owe Dion a tap or two for the Okposo blindside a few per seasons ago?

I think Martin went after Phaneuf for that one. I wonder how Steve Simmonds feel right now after JT had 2 assists for the Isles tonight. Sorry Steve, Tavares won't be playing for the Leafs any time soon.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

Dion is no star. And he did flip the puck away in sheer fear and panic. Maybe it wasn't vicious or headhunting, it was Tavares, he IS the franchise and Dion should know better.

kpap57

Jun 24, 2008
EX Long Islander
Just watched the replays on NHL tonight. Not a comment was made. Silent recap during the game replay, and then a commercial. You have to believe if the score was the other way around, and the leafs scored 7,that would be A big chunk of the show. Sad coverage...

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
Dion is no star. And he did flip the puck away in sheer fear and panic. Maybe it wasn't vicious or headhunting, it was Tavares, he IS the franchise and Dion should know better.

dion phaneuf IS an NHL star. you might not like that fact.....but he is.
a "franchise player" cant get hit? iginla never got hit? yzerman never got hit? taylor, hall, nash, ovechkin, stamkos, seguin, crosby, malkin.....arent allowed to be hit?
just keep that thought in mind when martin hits zajac, or some other islanders player ( who is not a "star" ) hits some other teams "franchise" player.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Leafs fan coming in peace:

Your team deserved to win tonight, the islanders outplayed the leafs for the majority. Bad goaltending, and a poor team work ethic cost us the game, no excuses, just have to get preped for the rangers on saturday.

As for Phaneuf, he's the type of player that is a questionable hitter, some of hits are clean but theres also equal that are dirty/headshots, the guy needs to cool it because hes being too vicious out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad