GDT: #02 | Tampa Bay Lightning vs. New York Islanders | Jan 21 | W 4-3

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'd love the Pens to take a flyer on Bailey if he's available. Obviously the price would dictate interest, but if the Isles don't seem to have room for him, Sid could use a creative winger for his line ... :sarcasm:

23 yr old Bailey makes a reasonanle $1m. Cappy spoke to the press about Bailey's loss, being a concern on the pk. He's a solid defensive player, who's only shown offensive flashes.

Someone will have to explain WHY the isles, would want to help the Pens find a creative winger for Crosby and the Pens. I can't come up with an answer to that one.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
23 yr old Bailey makes a reasonanle $1m. Cappy spoke to the press about Bailey's loss, being a concern on the pk. He's a solid defensive player, who's only shown offensive flashes.

Someone will have to explain WHY the isles, would want to help the Pens find a creative winger for Crosby and the Pens. I can't come up with an answer to that one.

Did you read the posts preceding mine, talking about Bailey maybe not having a place on the roster? My post was based on the assumption those posts were correct, and that ended up being the case.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Did you read the posts preceding mine, talking about Bailey maybe not having a place on the roster? My post was based on the assumption those posts were correct, and that ended up being the case.

I do think Bailey ought to be looking over his shoulder. He's an inconsistent scorer, who's good defensively and on the pk. The isles have several forward prospects like Ullstrom, Cizikas, Nino, Nelson are pushing him for his roster spot.

However, if Bailey loses his roster spot, I'd expect the isles to trade him out west, not help an eastern conference rival, find a cheap, skilled winger.

Bailey's had brief periods where he's been a dominate player.

Zero interest, in seeing Bailey finally put it together for another eastern conference team.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
We need to keep Nabby fresh. He's an older goalie playing in a very tiring season. IMO there is no way he should be starting both games against TOR and BOS. Assuming we will probably be heavy underdogs against Boston regardless of who we start, I'd rather start Nabokov against Toronto to make sure we get at least one win out of those next two games(Toronto will be going into the 2nd game of a back-to-back that night, which should give us an advantage).

Start Ricky the next night against Boston. Who knows, maybe playing in his hometown could spark some decent play. Either way, this will keep Nabokov rested(2 days off before the Toronto game and two days off after) and increase our chances of having a somewhat successful roadtrip.

I also think the time for Hickey is now. Need to see what we have. This way when Visnovsky gets here, we can make a somewhat accurate decision on who should take a seat between Hickey and Strait. I know Strait has looked solid, but I think it's possible that Hickey could be a better option. We should find out while we still have this window.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I really think that Carnkner and Finley are piss poor. I agree with blinkman about giving Hickey a go now to see what's up. These two are going to be no better than Jurcina/Eaton. The only thing that Finley will bring to the table is fistacuffs and the Isles are hurting in that area so he is a minor upgrade on Jurceaton. I just think our defense is going to be such a liability this season I am already looking towards the 2013 draft. I could be wrong and I'm not stating this to be pessimistic, just realistic.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Hickey would also be a logical pairing option for Carkner. Either way, Finley got less than 9 minutes of icetime against the Bolts today. I can't imagine that speaks well for how much the coaching staff trusts him. Hopefully, we'll see him replaced with one of Martinek or Hickey very soon here. Finley has so far been mostly just a liability.

Carkner and Finley are the weakest links on Defense and Martinek brings nothing to the table. The Carkner and Martinek signings stunt the development of our future prospects. Finley is not an NHL player and would not even have a job if he wasnt a giant. The Isles had no business picking him up in the first place. Carkner is slow like Finley but at least he shows some toughness. Martinek at this point in his career is well just done.

Afam*

What's Up everyone. Bruins fan here. I just wanted too let everyone know that i will be doing the GDT for the bruins vs Islanders Game. I would appreciate i if the mods or anyone pm you guys lineup for that game. Thanks.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
What's Up everyone. Bruins fan here. I just wanted too let everyone know that i will be doing the GDT for the bruins vs Islanders Game. I would appreciate i if the mods or anyone pm you guys lineup for that game. Thanks.

Our GDT's usually go up early on game day.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Carkner and Finley are the weakest links on Defense and Martinek brings nothing to the table. The Carkner and Martinek signings stunt the development of our future prospects. Finley is not an NHL player and would not even have a job if he wasnt a giant. The Isles had no business picking him up in the first place. Carkner is slow like Finley but at least he shows some toughness. Martinek at this point in his career is well just done.

too many things bringing joy right now....

Carkner is reliable as a tough defender, needs to get his wheels and positioning back. Toughness from him is a big key to the Eastern Conference standings as we need the grit.

Martinek is a very smart defenseman who brings a reliable game every night. Just injury prone and not from anything chronic unless you count BAD LUCK. (no outstanding issues, just a long series of injuries plaguing him)

Finley is a former first rounder with size who has still to this day potential. Selected 27th overall, this large bodied defenseman is a defense first guy with toughness who is still developing. I seem to recall a solid two way clown defenseman who frustrated us because he wasn't playing particularly well with his lanky 6'8" body on LI, but in time grew into manhood and now uses his body well and has crafted his game due to the patience of others. He now captains Boston. The fact that he's 25, though, means he's likely about at his ceiling, and will have to show his toughness. He's a call-up IMHO, not a regular. His game will only improve if he is smarter in his own end and uses his body to neutralize opponents on the boards and in front of the net where we need crease clearers.

And the Knights were a fictional team Robert Redford played on.

Hope it helps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad