Grabner - Nielsen - Cizikas
Joensuu - Aucoin - Martin
Reasoner

Streit - Strait
Visnovsky - Hamonic
MacDonald - Carker
Hickey
Martinek

Those lines aren't THAT bad. I'm confident that JT can carry that first line by himself, but we NEED to get him a real RW. I guess Nino next season. I think he'll be ready. Not sure if Bailey at center is worth trying again given the last 20 games of last season. I like the idea of having the pass-first Bailey playing with Ullstrom, who has a wicked wrist shot. And I like how KO and Bailey play together. Nielsen would be on the third line where he belongs, and that is a NICE fourth line with 2 big bodies to protect Aucoin while Reasoner watches them dominate from the press box.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
When Bails, JJ, and maybe Viz come back, I wouldn't mind seeing these combos:

Moulson - JT - Boyes
Bailey - Ullstrom - Okposo
Grabner - Nielsen - Cizikas
Joensuu - Aucoin - Martin
Reasoner

Streit - Strait
Visnovsky - Hamonic
MacDonald - Carker
Hickey
Martinek

Those lines aren't THAT bad. I'm confident that JT can carry that first line by himself, but we NEED to get him a real RW. I guess Nino next season. I think he'll be ready. Not sure if Bailey at center is worth trying again given the last 20 games of last season. I like the idea of having the pass-first Bailey playing with Ullstrom, who has a wicked wrist shot. And I like how KO and Bailey play together. Nielsen would be on the third line where he belongs, and that is a NICE fourth line with 2 big bodies to protect Aucoin while Reasoner watches them dominate from the press box.

Sorry but as long as things are going "good" Okposo doesn't leave top line

Ullstrom had a good game that's all, he's not being put over nielsen

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
A little too obvious that Martinek would be a great compliment to Carkner. So, what are we missing here? When does Marty get in the lineup?

I can't imagine our coaching staff is that oblivious. :sarcasm:

Hickey would also be a logical pairing option for Carkner. Either way, Finley got less than 9 minutes of icetime against the Bolts today. I can't imagine that speaks well for how much the coaching staff trusts him. Hopefully, we'll see him replaced with one of Martinek or Hickey very soon here. Finley has so far been mostly just a liability.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Hickey would also be a logical pairing option for Carkner. Either way, Finley got less than 9 minutes of icetime against the Bolts today. I can't imagine that speaks well for how much the coaching staff trusts him. Hopefully, we'll see him replaced with one of Martinek or Hickey very soon here. Finley has so far been mostly just a liability.

What i dont get Seph is that we have Martin and Carkner who can drop the gloves so toughness seems ok and if you wanted to dress a player to be a protector much better off using a Forward over a Dman

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
I think our chances of making a playoff push greatly increase if we get out of January above 500...need to go 3-2 this road trip that would be big because you get bailey viz and possibly Joensuu back in February. Winnipeg, leafs and devils are all winnable games. Probably thinking ahead a bit but that's what being 500 in January does to you ;)

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
I think our chances of making a playoff push greatly increase if we get out of January above 500...need to go 3-2 this road trip that would be big because you get bailey viz and possibly Joensuu back in February. Winnipeg, leafs and devils are all winnable games. Probably thinking ahead a bit but that's what being 500 in January does to you ;)

That same thing can eb sad for any team. Kets just get the first month going and if we make it a .500 Record we have a chance.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
Great 45 minutes of hockey. The last 15, not so much.

Still, we beat a superior opponent today, and you hope they learn from it.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
A little too obvious that Martinek would be a great compliment to Carkner. So, what are we missing here? When does Marty get in the lineup?

The only problem is that they're both RH shots, so you'd probably want to avoid having a RH-RH combo and a LH-LH combo. Better to split them up. The Isles actually have an opportunity to have 3 LH-RH defense pairings. Call me old-fashioned, but I like that.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

They may just wanna see exactly what they have in Finley first before they put Martinek or Hickey in the line-up. The waiver wire pickups have only 2 options; stay with the Isles or they have to go back on waivers in order to be sent to the Bridge. I imagine they're gonna give these guys a chance before they stand a chance to lose them on waivers. I am hoping we see either Hickey or Martinek replace Finley soon though.

On a side note, I'm pretty happy with the way Aucoin and Strait have played. I'd like to see Aucoin permanently replace Reasoner this season.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Ehhh its going to be VERY difficult with almost HALF of our season against the Atlantic.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I think I'd rather watch Martinek shoot on his back hand all game, then see any more of Finley paired with Carkner.

Sure. The only thing I like less than a RH-RH pairing is 2 big slow guys paired up. But put Hickey or Strait with Carkner.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Sure. The only thing I like less than a RH-RH pairing is 2 big slow guys paired up. But put Hickey or Strait with Carkner.

I think for the time being Strait has played well enough to remain where he is.

If he continues then when Visnovsky comes back, I think it would be best to pair him with Hamonic & move MacDonald down to play with Carkner.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

He's 36, oft-injured, and hasn't played in over 15 months. Maybe the coaches, who actually watch him, see that he just can't play?

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
I think for the time being Strait has played well enough to remain where he is.

If he continues then when Visnovsky comes back, I think it would be best to pair him with Hamonic & move MacDonald down to play with Carkner.

I can't believe you just said that. Amac has been playing 27 minutes a game playing against the other teams best line and we're going to move him down? Makes no sense.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
On a side note, I'm pretty happy with the way Aucoin and Strait have played. I'd like to see Aucoin permanently replace Reasoner this season.

Absolutely, but do you think that Aucoin can last the season at his size? He's already taken some hits. I understand it's now or never for a guy like that, but I don't see him lasting long at his size playing the way he is.

I don't have much to add, except to say that Ullstrom is making it pretty clear that Bailey is going to have a hard time winning a contract for next year. I think he's going to be on the way out.

Ullstrom is, essentially, a lefty Blake Comeau without the curl-and-turnover combo move. He might even have better size and speed. He's a prototypical third-line winger who can play physically, skate, and chip in offensively. He's also not a not a back to the end-boards off-wing player. In other words, he's a LW pure and simple.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Barz1

Oct 22, 2011
Ullstrom has looked great. Im interested to see who he plays with when bailey comes back. Hes fast, skilled and had a really good shot. He fits well on a few different line combos.

Watched the replay last night, after watching the afternoon game live--- great passing on that play--- beautiful give-and-go, but did you see the shot by Ullstrom???!!! SWEET !!!!

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Watched the replay last night, after watching the afternoon game live--- great passing on that play--- beautiful give-and-go, but did you see the shot by Ullstrom???!!! SWEET !!!!

His awareness on the ice is night-and-day compared to a couple of years ago. He made that goal look easy but aside from the goal, his skating and energy, size & laser shot, make him a very unique player that every team would cherish. Nik Kulemin played that way a couple of years ago and had great success with Grabovski & MacArthur and even though his offense has suffered since, he's still a valuable player. Ullstrom, at his worst, is that type of player.

Ullstrom is, essentially, a lefty Blake Comeau without the curl-and-turnover combo move. He might even have better size and speed. He's a prototypical third-line winger who can play physically, skate, and chip in offensively. He's also not a not a back to the end-boards off-wing player. In other words, he's a LW pure and simple.

i remembered something a while back that redbull posted about how some players are just easy to play with, and using comeau as an example of the complete opposite. ullstrom seems to me like the type of player that would fit that "easy to play with" category. some more experience and (fingers crossed) a bit more luck on the injury front and i could see him being a very useful player in a playoff run in the (fingers crossed again) not too distant future.

Watched Comeau in CAL yesterday, boy has his game tailed off. He's trying to play an energy role, skate, forecheck and get off....seems lost out there. There were times (very brief) when he looked so good on the Islanders but he's nowhere close to that now.

On Ullstrom, I completely agree, he's a north-south player who has really improved over the past two years. He's simplified his game, still plays with speed, drives the net (like Bergie used to do) but where Ullstrom is far better is in his hockey sense. He can make a pass and doesn't try to force plays that aren't there (like Comeau's twirl). I believe he's learned that, with experience, in the AHL.

I think he's a full time NHLer now, for good.

I'm not sure he displaces Bailey because they are such different players but Josh definitely needs to show more consistency this year. I think it's Joensuu, Aucoin and to a lesser extent, McDonald & Reasoner who's more at risk of losing their spot. Next year, Isles only have 7 forwards signed (Boyes UFA and Bailey, Joensuu RFA) and are probably expecting Nino & Strome & MacKinnon in the lineup so all bets are off :)

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Absolutely, but do you think that Aucoin can last the season at his size? He's already taken some hits. I understand it's now or never for a guy like that, but I don't see him lasting long at his size playing the way he is.

I'm not sure Dan-o. But I can say that Aucoin reminds me of a pre-Yashin Jason Blake. Small but tenacious with good speed, although Blake is faster. I'm not saying that Aucoin will wind up having the offensive numbers that Blake went on to have, but Blake played much of his career without missing significant time due to injury. Let's hope it's the same for Aucoin.

And by permanently replace Reasoner, I mean for the rest of this season. It would be great to see Cizikas take over the 3rd line center role and have Aucoin on the 4th. At that point, the Isles can trade, waive or just sit Reasoner. He's UFA at the end of the season anyway. But the Isles should definitely be looking to upgrade on Aucoin for next season.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not sure he displaces Bailey because they are such different players but Josh definitely needs to show more consistency this year.

Yeah, they're different players, but Ullstrom is better suited to 3rd-line duty. So where is Josh going to play? Basically unless a winger gets injured, or Boyes turns out to be useless and Grabner is swapped to RW, he's got no spot in the top-6.

If Bailey wants a spot on this team, he better start working on his draws.

Cheers,

Dan-o

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Yeah, they're different players, but Ullstrom is better suited to 3rd-line duty. So where is Josh going to play? Basically unless a winger gets injured, or Boyes turns out to be useless and Grabner is swapped to RW, he's got no spot in the top-6.

If Bailey wants a spot on this team, he better start working on his draws.

Bailey's played C and both wings so who knows. I think Bailey can play anywhere in the lineup, even 4th line C. I think some fans that are expecting a 20G - 60pt offense-first guy may be disappointed since he may not achieve that upside, BUT he's still a much more valuable player than half the forwards at least.

I believe they'll find a spot for him because he makes the team better.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com

Cheers,

Dan-o

Well I have seen him play a lot of Right Wing with a lot of success. He's also more of an offensive weapon than a 3rd line player, but he's not a stiff in his own end so he could play well on the third line.

People are going to continue to learn about Ullstrom and his game and like him more and more. His potential is still a lot higher than many are giving him credit for.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Bailey's played C and both wings so who knows. I think Bailey can play anywhere in the lineup, even 4th line C. I think some fans that are expecting a 20G - 60pt offense-first guy may be disappointed since he may not achieve that upside, BUT he's still a much more valuable player than half the forwards at least.

I believe they'll find a spot for him because he makes the team better.

I'd love the Pens to take a flyer on Bailey if he's available. Obviously the price would dictate interest, but if the Isles don't seem to have room for him, Sid could use a creative winger for his line ... :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad