GDT: #02 | Tampa Bay Lightning vs. New York Islanders | Jan 21 | W 4-3

Law

Jun 19, 2007
Miami, FL
Just watched on DVR, great first two periods, frightening 3rd period, but I guess a win is a win and god knows we can't take any of them for granted so I'll take it.

Still think we're in for a long (short?) season, but at least the bottom hasn't fallen out. Yet.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Just watched on DVR, great first two periods, frightening 3rd period, but I guess a win is a win and god knows we can't take any of them for granted so I'll take it.

Still think we're in for a long (short?) season, but at least the bottom hasn't fallen out. Yet.

I just finished watching the game as well, I still can't believe Finley is in the lineup over Martinek.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Hamonic is going to have a monster season IMO I said it before the season started and I'm standing by it. Guys so smart and has a real nice slapped from the point.

He poked check it away from the forwards and stole the puck along the boards so many times this game, guy doesn't get enough credit. Hamonic-Amac did a good job against Stamkos-St. Louis.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Watching the replay right now. Ullstrom's goal was really nice. I liked him last year pretty good skill and skater.

Ullstrom has looked great. Im interested to see who he plays with when bailey comes back. Hes fast, skilled and had a really good shot. He fits well on a few different line combos.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
How has Boyes been? I see he for 21 minutes of ice time today, is he playing with JT?

Only plays with JT and Moulson on 1st PP unit, 5on5 he plays with Nielsen and Grabner.

He's been pretty good, probably a bit rusty from not playing and adjusting himself to a new team but Boyes has been good.

I think he will end up with Tavares Moulson at some point but Capuano doesn't like to shuffle lines much
Once Bailey gets back, I'd expect him in the top 9 but who knows, especially with Aucoin playing well.

NineHoleGoal

Jul 7, 2011
Just got back from the game, I thought this was the best game KO has played in recent memory. He was diving for pucks and just busting his ass on every play.

I also thought Grabner was great. He really seemed to gain confidence after a much needed goal from him.

Finley and Carkner, my god they're awful.

I have to disagree with the last part. FINLEY is awful, Carkner is just what this team needs: another Eric Cairns. He plays tough and I thought he even made a couple good passes with the puck.
I remember one scrum in the 3rd period where Carkner leveled off with Hedman and he said "You wanna go?" lol, I think Hedman filled his shorts right then and there. This team needed a couple guys like that badly last year. This year they have them and watch the difference it makes. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, no one expected Carkner to come in and play like Shea Weber, but if you can accept him as the first legit tough dman since Eric Cairns...well, I think we'll be happy with his play, or at least presence, on the ice.

bvon44

Jul 3, 2006
Long Island
Enjoyed the game today, other than most of the 3rd (Isles keep up their reputation as the Cardiac Kids)

Very impressed/surprised with Aucoin's game, guy's very smart on the offensive side of the puck. Also, Ullstrom looks great out there, like a bigger version of Bergenheim, foot to the floor on every shift.

Anybody else get the feeling that the Chase "Footloose" commercial is going to be this year's "Somebody Left the Gate Open?"

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Ullstrom has looked great. Im interested to see who he plays with when bailey comes back. Hes fast, skilled and had a really good shot. He fits well on a few different line combos.

This is exactly what I'm thinking about. He needs to remain in the top-9. If anything I'd try him as the 3C, bump Aucoin down to the 4C(I think he's been good so far but would prefer him in a 4th line role) and either scratch or waive Reasoner. Ullstrom brings a rare combo of size, speed, skill and heart. I really haven't been impressed with McDonald so far. He's a hard worker but IMO he shouldn't be on the 3rd line. Would prefer Nino over him, TBH. Maybe something like...

Moulson - Tavares - Okposo
Grabner - Nielsen - Boyes
Bailey - Ullstrom - Niederreiter
Martin - Aucoin - Cizikas/Joensuu

IslesBeBack*

Strait was good today, too. I think I might be slowly backing away from my "AHL fodder" statement. Mi sorry.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Anyone see Hickey getting Finley's spot against the Leafs? Finley's been pretty bad, and I'd like to see what Hickey is capable of before Visnovsky gets here(if he gets here).

As far as goaltending goes, my guess would be Nabokov starts against Toronto on Thursday and DP gets the nod against the Bruins in his hometown on Friday.

IslesBeBack*

Anyone see Hickey getting Finley's spot against the Leafs? Finley's been pretty bad, and I'd like to see what Hickey is capable of before Visnovsky gets here(if he gets here).

As far as goaltending goes, my guess would be Nabokov starts against Toronto on Thursday and DP gets the nod against the Bruins in his hometown on Friday.

Nabby will get Toronto. If we win, don't be surprised to see Nabby again. This is a veteran goaltender who looks ready to play. If we lose in Toronto, than yeah, you might see DP Friday. But I doubt the team sabotages itself for Ricky in Boston if the Isles win in TO.

Then again, logic flies out the window with the Isles.

TheIslesFan

Apr 2, 2008
NY
This is exactly what I'm thinking about. He needs to remain in the top-9. If anything I'd try him as the 3C, bump Aucoin down to the 4C(I think he's been good so far but would prefer him in a 4th line role) and either scratch or waive Reasoner. Ullstrom brings a rare combo of size, speed, skill and heart. I really haven't been impressed with McDonald so far. He's a hard worker but IMO he shouldn't be on the 3rd line. Would prefer Nino over him, TBH. Maybe something like...

Does Ullstrom play any wing? Maybe alongside Tavares :naughty:

the isle revival

Mar 5, 2008
Binghamton, NY
I remember one scrum in the 3rd period where Carkner leveled off with Hedman and he said "You wanna go?" lol, I think Hedman filled his shorts right then and there. This team needed a couple guys like that badly last year. This year they have them and watch the difference it makes. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, no one expected Carkner to come in and play like Shea Weber, but if you can accept him as the first legit tough dman since Eric Cairns...well, I think we'll be happy with his play, or at least presence, on the ice.

That was a brilliant moment. :laugh:

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Carkner didn't hurt us at all today, the only time he was even the lightest bit shaky was when he was matched up against the StLouis/Stamkos line.

Finley is scary out there.... I'm not sure if it's because he's paired with Carkner, but this pairing can't go on much longer without it hurting us on the score sheet.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
We have needed Matt Carkner since Eric Cairns left. A guy that can play sheriff for 10-15 minutes a night and not be a complete liability out there. He just needs to be paired with a more competent defender that can move the puck up ice.

Between Carkner, Hamonic, Martin and Boulton.... there's someone on the ice looking out for a good portion of the game.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

I was thinking wbut that exact line for ullstrom, but i want nino to remain down there for the rest of the year.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
I wasn't watching but I heard Staois had some good shifts?

FWIW, I thought that no one on the team looked "bad". Last year Staois and Reasoner looked horrible every single time on the ice. This game the entire team seemed to work well.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
We have needed Matt Carkner since Eric Cairns left. A guy that can play sheriff for 10-15 minutes a night and not be a complete liability out there. He just needs to be paired with a more competent defender that can move the puck up ice.

Between Carkner, Hamonic, Martin and Boulton.... there's someone on the ice looking out for a good portion of the game.

Yup, exactly. But Boulton is redundant and not needed.

Looking forward to Bailey, JJ, and Vis coming back. Who gets sent Down when they return... McDonald, Finley and ???

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Carkner didn't hurt us at all today, the only time he was even the lightest bit shaky was when he was matched up against the StLouis/Stamkos line.

Finley is scary out there.... I'm not sure if it's because he's paired with Carkner, but this pairing can't go on much longer without it hurting us on the score sheet.

It's things like this that take away whatever good faith I'd like to give them. I know how bad of a skater he is. Where is the justification for keeping him up? You can waste a slot on a 4th line forward, but not on defense.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
saw the replay tonight too. like a lot of you here, i'm really liking what i'm seeing from ullstrom.
i couldn't help getting this nagging feeling like his style of play seems similar to another former recent islander but couldn't put my finger on it. finally realized, at least to me, that he plays a lot like what most of us were hoping how comeau could be capable of playing, but was just too dead in the head to do it. seems to keep it simple, makes the safe play most of the time and keeps his legs moving.

also like many others here, i thought his upside would be a high-end bottom-6 player. i'm starting to rethink that now thinking he could be a fully capable 2nd liner with ability do spot duty on the 1st line or move down to the 3rd in a shutdown role.

i remembered something a while back that redbull posted about how some players are just easy to play with, and using comeau as an example of the complete opposite. ullstrom seems to me like the type of player that would fit that "easy to play with" category. some more experience and (fingers crossed) a bit more luck on the injury front and i could see him being a very useful player in a playoff run in the (fingers crossed again) not too distant future.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
It's only 2 games but I do have a good feeling from what we have seen so far that Grabner will recover from his sophomore slump. Martin, Tavares, Nabokov, Grabner, Ullstrom, Streit, Hamonic have all IMO looked best so far followed by Aucoin and Okposo, Strait who all had good games today. Andrew Mcdonald is doing well also. Carkner is holding his own. Nielsen has been quiet but that's his style...no complaints here. Aside from JT he may be my 2nd favorite player, He will get some offense going soon enough. Lets just all hope nabby gets a win, plays well, and isn't tested too much vs Toronto. I do not want Dipietro playing against Boston...that's an automatic loss.

Puckzilla13

Jan 19, 2013
Fort Myers, FL

A little too obvious that Martinek would be a great compliment to Carkner. So, what are we missing here? When does Marty get in the lineup?

I can't imagine our coaching staff is that oblivious. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad